Change Mode

Walmart Too Powerful?

this is expected but its not really the point. The point is that some large corps take advantage of their size and are in fact abusive towards the working population of the world. Nobody can really compete with walmart so they can move into whatever market they like and pay whatever wage they like because they have no competition. If they did people would refuse to work there and their wages would go up just as they have in Fast Food joints in California. Many here in competitive markets start at over $8 an hour which is relatively high for menial labor. This is my problem with WalMart, its business nature removes competition which would be a natural way to regulate their business practice. I hear and read storys of WalMart all the time yet the people I know that work at Costco seem to enjoy working there and are happy with their pay which is roughly twice that of Wal Mart.

You have extenuating cicumstances that are preventing you from moving but that is still by choice whether you view so or not. You chose to stay where you live, nobody is unmoveable no matter what their state of life is. Is it cheap...no but it can be done and could potentially result in a better life for you all but there is still a chance that it would not. If this isnt a chance you are willing to take that is your choice.

Yes i did. I worked at Daylight donuts when i was 14 years old to pay my rent, since i lived on my own. I stayed in school and worked as many hours that i could legaly, and delivered news papers in my spare time. I have paid for all of my own college, and raised my 2 children on my own with no child support. So yes i have had a silver spoon in my mouth all my life.

As for the compassion part. Yeah what the hell ever, there is more compasion there than you will ever know. I moved 200 miles from my home town to further my education, and get better employment. The unions have killed all of the business that has left my home town. There is now a comeback of some of the business (nonunion only) and the employment there is so good that companies are sticking wooden signs outside of their places of business to get people to come in and get a job.

Where i am living now the classafied ads consist of more than 5 pages of help wanted. These jobs are mostly 24,000 and up jobs. The only people not working in my area are those that dont want to work. For a bit of further information, if a company has to pay out more money than they bring in they will not be in business long. The whole idea of having a business is to make money. I guess you didnt know that part though.

Some business' will take advantage of thier help, and some dont. Greed is everywhere, its human nature. I loved working at walmart and would still be there if i had my say. The worst thing is that the few bad people working at walmart in manage ment are making the company look far worse than it actually is. The thing that makes walmart look good and the worker look bad is the fact that most of the lawsuits that walmart has to answer to is from california. They dont get their way they whine cry and sue. There are people in cali suing over crap that is utterly rediculous, and that hurts the people working there more than it helps, walmart has to offset the billions of dollars that they have to pay out to defend theirselves from stupid lawsuits that come from mostly whiny lazy people.

Here is just one instance. Recently someone in cali decided to sue walmart because instead of going to lunch at 11:30 A.M. they wanted to go after being there less than half the day. The lawsuit was lost by walmart, so now at all DC's lunch is at 9:30 AM to 10:30 am. If you work a 12 hour shift at a walmart distrobution center you get 1 hour of paid breaks and 30 minutes of unpaid. The breaks were set up so that you didnt have real long spaces between breaks, now you clock in at 5:30 AM and usually start work around 5:45 or 6, have first break at 7:30 lunch @ 9:30 and last break @ 3:30. Before you worked for around 2.5 to 3 hours and got a break, now you work for 1.5, 2, and 5 hours. That is a very crappy schedule but walmart and the employees now have to endure that long stretch to satisfy that stupid lawsuit. Productivity will now drop, and costs will go up, and the minimum wage worker will suffer.

The idea that walmart runs people out of business is rediculous for the most part. Kmart ran their own company out of business through poor money management. The place where walmart has the advantage is not volume buying, its the DC's. They are the most effecient and advanced on the planet, and the help is very well paid. Like i said earlier i was making just under $16/hour, was guaranteed never to be laidoff, and i only had to work 3 days a week.

Target put it best when they were compaired to walmart. Their own statement on price was this "We cater to a slightly more upscale customer, with a higher income." Walmart's response was this "We will accept your money if it is green, and those are the people who we cater to." Same items, lower prices, due to more effecently ran logistics.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry Ford knew that way back in the early part of the twentieth century when he paid his employees a good wage because he wanted his employees to be able to afford the product he manufactured. He understood that profits come from being able to sell your product and if not many people can afford to buy your product, you aren't going to sell many products or make much profit.

WHAT!?

Henry Ford was a racist who DEGRADED his workers! He was a NAZI!

I would think that pointing to Henry Ford would be the last thing you would want to do if you are supporting the workers!

You obviously don't know your history!

So you were a member of the steelworkers union? Just like the majority of people I knew. How much did you make? What did you do? What were your benefits? Detail your last contract demands for us. How much did your foreman and his manager make?

Do tell.

WHAT!?

Henry Ford was a racist who DEGRADED his workers!  He was a NAZI!

I would think that pointing to Henry Ford would be the last thing you would want to do if you are supporting the workers!

So you were a member of the steelworkers union?  Just like the majority of people I knew.  How much did you make?  What did you do?  What were your benefits?  Detail your last contract demands for us.  How much did your foreman and his manager make?

Do tell.

Just where did you get that one? Please post a link to the source as i am very interested to see this.

The nazi part is what im refering to.

Edited by tweekybob2000

Yes i did. I worked at Daylight donuts when i was 14 years old to pay my rent, since i lived on my own. I stayed in school and worked as many hours that i could legaly, and delivered news papers in my spare time. I have paid for all of my own college, and raised my 2 children on my own with no child support. So yes i have had a silver spoon in my mouth all my life.

THIS QUOTE IS FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH PEOPLE! READ IT TWICE!

Right now I know a single mother of two who is living in an apartment that looks like a junkyard because she won't clean it, she hasn't cooked a meal in months, she does not work, she gets public assistance, HAS A CAR, cable TV, a DVD player, three televisions, etc!

What does she do? Raise her children? No, they are neglected. Why do I bring her up? Because it is COMMON. She is perfectly capable and healthy.

THIS QUOTE IS FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH PEOPLE! READ IT TWICE!

Right now I know a single mother of two who is living in an apartment that looks like a junkyard because she won't clean it, she hasn't cooked a meal in months, she does not work, she gets public assistance, HAS A CAR, cable TV, a DVD player, three televisions, etc!

What does she do? Raise her children? No, they are neglected. Why do I bring her up? Because it is COMMON. She is perfectly capable and healthy.

All too common a story doc. I'm all for public assistance, but it should be given after thorough means testing.

Just where did you get that one? Please post a link to the source as i am very interested to see this.

The nazi part is what im refering to.

Henry Ford: Hitler's First Foreign Backer

On December 20, 1922 the New York Times reported4 that automobile manufacturer Henry Ford was financing Adolph Hitler's nationalist and anti-Semitic movements in Munich. Simultaneously, the Berlin newspaper Berliner Tageblatt appealed to the American Ambassador in Berlin to investigate and halt Henry Ford's intervention into German domestic affairs. It was reported that Hitler's foreign backers had furnished a "spacious headquarters" with a "host of highly paid lieutenants and officials." Henry Ford's portrait was prominently displayed on the walls of Hitler's personal office:

http://reformed-theology.org/html/books/wa.../chapter_06.htm

Ford was awarded (and accepted) the Grand Cross of the Order of the German Eagle (Großkreuz des Deutschen Adlerordens). Ford was the first American and the fourth person given this award, at the time Nazi Germany's highest honorary award given to foreigners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford

http://bulldognews.net/issues_ford_slave_labor.html

However; Ford himself never abandoned his deep-rooted anti-Semitism. His anti-Semitic literature can still be found in great abundance, more than fifty years after his death. While Ford is considered to be a great man by many Americans, he spawned an ugly legacy of hatred and bigotry that still has ramifications today.

http://history.hanover.edu/hhr/99/hhr99_2.html

Henry Ford, who was so impressed by the efficient way meat packers killed animals in Chicago, made his own special contribution to the slaughter of people in Europe. Not only did he develop the assembly-line method the Germans used to kill Jews,

http://www.stockmaven.com/patterson.htm

You can find THOUSANDS of references. This is WELL KNOWN! He was NOT shy about it.

In addition, he was no champion of his workers, he degraded them and put them in "reprogramming" classes, making them deny their culture, their religion, thaeir values, as a condition of employement.

The $5 a day rate was about half pay and half bonus. The bonus came with character requirements and was enforced by the Socialization Organization. This was a committee that would visit the employees' homes to ensure that they were doing things the American way. They were supposed to avoid social ills such as gambling and drinking. They were to learn English, and many (primarily the recent immigrants) had to attend classes to become "Americanized." Women were not eligible for the bonus unless they were single and supporting the family. Also, men were not eligible if their wives worked outside the home. Other groups also offered classes to help immigrants and southern blacks adapt to the Detroit area, but none were so prominent as the Ford plan.

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-1...53441--,00.html

You can find MUCH MORE on all this if you like, and I suggest you do if you want to have a realistic perspective.

Henry Ford was a racist who DEGRADED his workers!  He was a NAZI!

Henry ford was a racist just like a lot of other people were then and are now. It has nothing to do with whether he paid his employees a decent wage or not. Was he a jerk as a boss, yep, he sure was, but then I have worked under quite a few bosses in this day and age that were every bit the jerk Ford was. Yes he donated money to Hitler in Hitler's early days, but that does not make him a Nazi. This whole statement is nothing more than attempting to divert from the subject at hand.

Comments like this from almost everyone else here would insult me, but I have read enough of your posts to expect this; when backed in a corner, try to divert the subject. I know my history quite well thank you.

Your last paragraph I will not even dignify with more of a response than the fact that we only made a top wage slightly more than the average pay scale for the manufacturing industry with benefits that were about industry average (we paid 20 percent of our medical bills). Detailing anything is quite frankly, none of your business and is once again little more than an attempt to change the subject. The subject of this thread is about the fact that large corporations like Wal-mart reap in the profits but pay their employees little more than slave wages.

Edited by Ronbo

The condescending attitudes are on overload here. I know people who live in nasty dwellings just because they are freaking lazy or have mental issues that aren't even on welfare.

Who rents a place to a 14 year old? How does one get utilities in their name as a minor? Were you emancipated or something? Who signed your report cards in school? How did your school not know you were a kid living on your own and turn it into child welfare services?

The condescending attitudes are on overload here. I know people who live in nasty dwellings just because they are freaking lazy or have mental issues that aren't even on welfare.

Who rents a place to a 14 year old? How does one get utilities in their name as a minor? Were you emancipated or something? Who signed your report cards in school? How did your school not know you were a kid living on your own and turn it into child welfare services?

My friends father rented me the place to live or i would have lived in the street. He owned several apt buildings and knew that i would "disappear" if anyone interfeared. The town was 2800 people, the nearest child welfare agency was 3 hours away, you dont have to prove your age to get utilities you only need a social security number, which you get at birth. The school did not require a parent to sign a report card. No i was not emancipated, the the school did not know or care as long as i didnt get into trouble at school.

Oh and had to throw this one in here. When i decided to have children i was 21 years old and both were planned. There were no unwanted teen pregnancies on my part. I had just a bit more comon sence and was more responsible than the average person, that raised theirself.

Edited by tweekybob2000

wow no parental signatures on report cards... nobody noticed you were a little kid when you showed up to turn your utilities on not to mention here you have to show a form of ID proving who you are when at the utility company here. I went thru 12 years of school and my son went thru 13 years of school and both of us had a report card sent home every six weeks for parental signature. Never heard of parents not having to sign a report card or some kind of grade report. Must be really different where you are from. :shrug:

wow no parental signatures on report cards... nobody noticed you were a little kid when you showed up to turn your utilities on not to mention here you have to show a form of ID proving who you are when at the utility company here. I went thru 12 years of school and my son went thru 13 years of school and both of us had a report card sent home every six weeks for parental signature. Never heard of parents not having to sign a report card or some kind of grade report. Must be really different where you are from. :shrug:

If you can pay the deposit you get the utilities. Simple as that. I have never had to have a report card signed. I have only signed either of my sons report card once each. that was very recent. I was almost 6 feet tall when i was 14 years old, and i was right around 180 lbs, and i never saw the person who turned on the utilities, as a matter of fact i dont recall ever seeing anyone ever when i have had the utilities turned on to get moved into a place. (except the cable dude, he has to come in to run the lines.) The meter is on the outside of the building, and they come over turn it on and leave. The whole thing takes place over the phone except when you pay the deposit, why would the question someone giving them money? You have never send your child in to a business for you??

Didnt the founder of Walmart die back in the 90's and leave each of his five kids like 18 billion dollars...think I read that awhile back

yes which is why they are all in the top 10 of Americas rishest people. They are the "Waltons"

Henry ford was a racist just like a lot of other people were then and are now. It has nothing to do with whether he paid his employees a decent wage or not. Was he a jerk as a boss, yep, he sure was, but then I have worked under quite a few bosses in this day and age that were every bit the jerk Ford was. Yes he donated money to Hitler in Hitler's early days, but that does not make him a Nazi. This whole statement is nothing more than attempting to divert from the subject at hand.

Comments like this from almost everyone else here would insult me, but I have read enough of your posts to expect this; when backed in a corner, try to divert the subject. I know my history quite well thank you.

Your last paragraph I will not even dignify with more of a response than the fact that we only made a top wage slightly more than the average pay scale for the manufacturing industry with benefits that were about industry average (we paid 20 percent of our medical bills). Detailing anything is quite frankly, none of your business and is once again little more than an attempt to change the subject. The subject of this thread is about the fact that large corporations like Wal-mart reap in the profits but pay their employees little more than slave wages.

Obviously you did not read the linked references!

NO, Ford was not your average racist. In addition he was and is notorious for his mal-treatment of his employees.

I suggest again that you read up on it.

Very interesting and revealing response regarding your days in steel.

Nope it is about the same through most of the US.

http://www.lifetimetv.com/movies/info/move3222.html

The above is a true story, do a web search on Liz Murray.

nobody has to be home to come inside your dwelling? No way I'd put up with that.

We are talking about renting an apartment I believe. The landlord owns it and has reasonable access, in addition you can sign a permission to enter and the landlord will let people like the phone company in. Happens all the time.

In a private home, yes, there would be an issue in most places I would think.

Besides, we are talking about a poor person struggling along...they have cable TV and a phone?

I didn't have that until about a year ago and I am 38. (except for the four years I was married of course, but I went back to school after that so most of my adult life I have had neither cable nor phone as well as other luxuries)

Edited by Chopdoc

I indicated when I had problems with cable in the wiring as well as the phone they had to come inside to look. Not just turning them on.

In such a case I would expect the company rules prevent them from entering without a responsible adult present, that's understandable.

In the case of a single woman I would let a friend or neighbor know the utility guy is coming, the risk of assault is high I think.

actually we were discussing something else about utilities Doc which is what he mentioned in his posts..

and your cell phone seems to work just fine when I call ya doc. You also owned several motorcycles so I would say you have had a way to find a few luxuries.