Sign in to follow this  
JC Denton

I Need To Swich To Linux

pretty much, just grab a distribution and install it.. Are you looking to replace XP or dual boot?

I would recommend either Suse Linux or Mandrake Linux, or Fedora Core. All 3 are free and relatively easy to get started.. Of course with any, you'll have to go thru a few days of absolute hell until windows gets out of your system, but we're all here to help.. You may download the free Suse personal edition at http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ft...al_iso_int.html

this is an ISO file. If you don't know how to burn an ISO file properly, PLEASE post before proceeding.

on a side note, what happened when you installed the new service pack?

Also, do you have any Windows apps that you feel you can't live without?

-myk

Mostly my games and stuff. But a lot of times I download a freeware program and wish it would work on Linux. And I know this probably sounds stupid, but I haven't been able to successfully install a program yet. And I need to reinstall Linux, I fdisked because it messed up my Windows partition. I'm still debating which distro I should go with. Suse didn't recognise my sound... Knoppix did, but I couldn't figure out the networking thing.. :erm:

Edited by wolf88

Hmmm well my IM and my Emulatiors and a game called Runescape and my Moive Files but I can lose everything eles

Well, we got you covered on the instant messenger (which protocol do you need?).

http://www.kopete.org

THis application comes with KDE (the window manager)

WHich emulator do you need? Mame runs on Linux, as does ESPXE (playstation), Stella (atari), SNES9X (super nintendo), and more.

Movies are playable in Linux. You can install Win32 codeds to play all Windows movie file types, as well as the standard .avi, mpeg, divx, etc.

Will look into Runescape, there may be Linux binaries to use it. Some windows games are able to run natively in Windows. Neverwinter Nights is a shining example. it runs better in Linux than windows.

-myk

Hmmm well I guess not Will it be a nice interface or will everything look like its running in DOS?

Edit I need AIM and MSN Protocalls

Edited by JC Denton

the beauty is, you can make it look exactly like either! You can literally customer EVERY aspect of the looks. Take a look at KDE-look and check out the screenshots section. You'll see screenshots submitted by users that will blow your mind!

here ya go:

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=34

In theory.. can you post specifics for your hardware?

sound and video specs? Also, are you on broadband or dialup?

Regular peripherals should be a problem at all.

have you out any custom hardware in the system? If not, just give the model number of your e-Machine and i can find out.

everything should work fine, but i like to find out any potential problems BEFORE starting, that way you're not surprised and :censored: off before investigating what the trouble is.

Thanks,

-myk

do you have the model number of the complete computer set? Looks like L7VMM2 is the motherboard model.

Best i can tell, it has onboard graphics, powered by Savage. It will work, but you may not be able to get good 3D support. I would recommend an inexpensive nVidia card. Looks like that motherbaord has an AGP slot. You can get a decent nVidia geForce FX5200 series for about 50 dollars at a local wal-mart or best buy. It's not the best card in the world, but it will give you 3D support and work flawlessly in Linux. How much RAM do you have? Do you know your CPU speed? You can find these by right-clicking "My Computer" and choose "Properties".

Also, loks like your sound is onboard AC97. This will work fine. Is your internet connection broadband? Broadband will work fine. Most dial-ups work fine, unless the ISP requires you to use their special browser or something. otherwise, and ISP that supports PPP will work fine for dialup.

for the most part, looks like you're good to go.

-myk