Linux Needs Viruses!

megaspaz

this is a tad old, but pretty funny....well it amused me anyway.... :blink::D

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/06/07/01...41.shtml?tid=23

As Windows apologists are fond of pointing out, Linux can't possibly compete with Windows until it can match it feature for feature, and then some. I hold out little hope of Linux ever matching Windows on the virus vulnerability front, so it looks like the old dream of Linux eventually overtaking Windows and becoming the world's most popular operating system will never come to pass.

:woot:

:tux:

As this somewhat alarmist ZDNet story says, " While Simile.D spreads successfully to Linux machines, the risk is lessened by the fact that only systems running in so-called superuser mode can be fully infected."

How many people do you know who habitually run their Linux systems as root?

In my case, the answer is "zero."

Loggin out of root, and into User mode ! :woot:

Well, thing is, if the calibre of a lot of the computer users who use Windows switch over to linux, you'll have a hell of a lot more people logging in as root because they're either lazy, or just don't understand the implications of constantly running as root. Linux is still predominantly used by the computer savvy out there. And there may not be very many viruses, but in terms of vulnerabilities and exploits, for an improperly configured system, a linux box can be almost as vulnerable to other security threats and Windows boxes.