New Nvidia Drivers

Bruce

New nvidia drivers :woot:

One installer, no more choice of 35 different files.

They must be installed while not in the GUI or they will not install. Just change your run level to 3, reboot, login as root and cd to the directory you downloaded them to then run sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run and you get a graphical installer.

They do work and will work on any distro, just don't come whining they didn't work if you don't install from run level three (no GUI)

hey, forgive me if i'm being way too cautious considering that the last time i tried to upgrade nvidia drivers which caused me to have to reinstall linux from scratch, but did you have to specify the path to the kernel-source? i've run the installer already and it seems pretty good as it found the previous nvidia modules and uninstalled them. :)

hey, forgive me if i'm being way too cautious considering that the last time i tried to upgrade nvidia drivers which caused me to have to reinstall linux from scratch, but did you have to specify the path to the kernel-source? i've run the installer already and it seems pretty good as it found the previous nvidia modules and uninstalled them. :)

If you ran the installer and it uninstalled the previous ones then I believe you are done. Thats what it did for me, it uninstalled the old versions, when I rebooted I had the new drivers.

The 4191 drivers are the only ones I ever saw that gave anyone any real greif, this new installer is very nice.

it does seem like a good installer. i just ran it to see how it was. and i think it's pretty good considering my experience with the 4191 drivers. i just need to get the kernel sources. i think i can now finally upgrade my kernel. :woot:

I had the 3123 drivers on chengrobs PC and the 4191 drivers on mine. The new installer worked flawlessly on both machines. They are both running the latest kernel from up2date. I say go ahead get your kernel and sources, and install the new drivers. They are good stuff. They needed an installer like this for a long time, rather then having to sort through all the different files to find the right ones or compile from tar balls.