Change Mode

Funny Things About America

Cameronf74

Political conventions - The conventions you have to nominate people are so amazing! Such a hyped event! Like some sort of sporting team's successful homecoming or something. Amazing! It seems to me that the psychology behind it is to look like a 'winner' and create a buzz of energy and success all the way to 1600 Pensylvania Av. In Australia the opposite happens - both parties struggle to be seen as the underdog (this is common in sporting clashes as well) in an effort to have more people give them a vote to make it a good contest. INteresting.

Religious conventions - I suppose it's no different to religious events in other cultures but I never cease to be astounded by the scene of several thousand religiously inclined folk, hands in the air, weeping/singing to music - often with lyrics uncomfortably mashed into stanzas to make sure no one is confused as to who is worshipping what. Very descriptive.

Any else?

Just thought of another one.

Violence v Sex in entertainment - Most US crime shows not only describe but also show extremely graphic murders and violence. It's not always condoned but the fact that they show such a level of gore is interesting to me in a country that gets so funny about the word 'f*ck'.....and don't you dare show a nipple on television! What will the children think!?!? Genitals are, of course, way over the line.

Political conventions - The conventions you have to nominate people are so amazing! Such a hyped event! Like some sort of sporting team's successful homecoming or something. Amazing! It seems to me that the psychology behind it is to look like a 'winner' and create a buzz of energy and success all the way to 1600 Pensylvania Av. In Australia the opposite happens - both parties struggle to be seen as the underdog (this is common in sporting clashes as well) in an effort to have more people give them a vote to make it a good contest. INteresting.

they actually havent been used to "nominate" in over a decade, though I suppose if there ever was a race that was extremely close they would eventually be used again. Its mostly about giving the party a stage to spout there views on the direction the country is going and or should be going. It is rather interesting but mostly just show.

fragged one Posted on July 29th, 2004, 09:10 PM

we blame it all on steve irwin 

My eight year old son idiolizes him. :mrsgreen:

If I say he is crazy, he corrects me and says, no he is brave!

We don't have ANYTHING like the circus we are currently seeing on tv!

Sometimes they get a little more excited during their party conferences but thats about it.

The politcal grandstanding itself is more or less the same...just the psychology behind the perceptions they want in the electorate I think are differently skewed.

We don't have ANYTHING like the circus we are currently seeing on tv!

Yeah that's kinda funny because we have one group that has an elephant as it's mascot, which would be good for what? I know! Blowing smoke up your :censored:, which they are pretty good at doing and they do it quite often. Then we have another group that has a donkey as it's mascot. So I guess you can say all we have is a bunch of jackasses and big fat liars to choose from.

And we need a third party made of crocodiles to chow down on both elephants and jackasses.

But first, we need a disease that wastes sheep like Andy Reid destroys a cheesesteak.

If we as a nation are even comtemplating Bush vs. Kerry, maybe we do need those warnings on electrical appliances that warn us not to shower with them.

when has an elephany ever lied :(

:)

You know, reading this reminds me of when I first chose the Name, Drovers Dog!

For many years I have been told that I have eyes like the Hawke!

We used to have a Prime Minister, bit like your President, called Bob Hawke!

He had very distinctive eyes and eyebrows, giving him a Hawklike appearance!

Guess what his Nick Name was?

When he took Power in this Country he came in from the side, meaning just before the Election, he deposed of the Leader of his Party, Bill Hayden, then became Leader when the Party won the Election!

Just remember we have different Rules to you Guys?

The Leader of the Party, and there are heaps of Parties running for Office, that wins the Majority, is Prime Minister, equal to President, under our System!

He got called Drovers Dog by the Aussies!

I wear the Title with Pride!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol: