Change Mode

Internet Explorer

Guest denis133

Guest denis133

I am using IE ver. 6.0.2800 and Windows 98 seconded edition and using cable modem. The problem is switching from page to page when using the browser it very often “spools” endlessly and it can also lock up on other occasions. A symptom I have noticed is when I close the page it looks like a duplicate page or a ghost is there in its place and that page continues to spool as well. I must then log off of Windows or reboot to use the browser and may need to do this more than once.

I have used Pitstop and other programs... it has not found a problem as yet and this has happened during the Pitstop test.

Guest denis133

Yes, I have done all the obvious fixes without any luck. I also uninstalled it and started from scratch and hear we are…. wouldn’t want to waste anyone’s time, this one is unique. I called my cable provider too and they think I just need a new computer. It is a Dell GenuineIntel Pentium® II Processor 128MB RAM. Its not the most powerful in the world but the old computer I had before this was a Pentium 133 with only 64MB of RAM never gave me this headache. It took me 2 tries to answer you!!

Guest denis133

No I have not… I was not thinking hardware but at this point I will try anything! I am going to upgrade the memory too but I do not believe that is my problem but it will not hurt…I will try the NIC card…thank you aeroman10

• 2 weeks later...

I called my cable provider too and they think I just need a new computer.

lol

If your pages "spool" I take it that means, they display but never actually complete loading? Some things you should do is:

1.) Delete all Temporary Internet Files, and not just from the Internet Options GUI, but go into the Directory and Clean it out. By default there should only be 4 folders in there under the Content.IE5 Directory. Just delete everything, Windows re-creates those folders next time the browser is used.

2.) If your ISP uses a proxy setting or script, (as mine does) located in the Internet Options, try disabling it, leaving all boxes under the connections Tab blank. Most Cable ISP have flakey proxy cache, can make pages hang, not display.

3.)Download Adaware and scan for unwanted programs, that are web related, stealing resources from your System to support advertising clients.

4.)Windows 98 being one of the easiest systems to "tweak" in Internet/LAN performance, some adjustments* to the TcpRWin can in most cases double your Speeds.

My 2 cents....

Guest denis133

Thank You Signman and Option^Explicit I have done both.... I did a hard reset on my modem and as for the Temporary Internet Files and such did not make much of a change and removing all the files gave me more space and all of this has improved the speed when it is normally working it still, when the time for the spooling will not change the page....and this means no page change at all. When I X the page to close it there is a “copy" page in its place another words 2 of the same page and only one showing in the systems tray.... Twilight Zone.....

I also change the NIC card aeroman10 but I have not yet added any memory.....

Thanks for the 2 cents it helps