Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

volt

Sick

The professor, Nicholas De Genova, told a "teach-in" on Wednesday that "the only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." De Genova also asserted Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.

Bet he has an accident before the week is out.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82532,00.html

:blink::o

Who are these people? It's all very well to make a choice about which "side" you are on but holy crap, who the hell does he think he is?

People like this should be sent to Iraq to hold Saddam's hand, so he doesn't get too scared with that missile he has/will have fired up his but :blank:

De Genova’s particular expertise on the subject of the war in Iraq is not clear. His dissertation, entitled "Working the Boundaries, Making the Difference: Race and Space in Mexican Chicago," explores "socio-cultural processes "implicated in the mutually constitutive productions of racialized difference and urban space in the experiences of Mexican migrant factory workers in Chicago," according to a Stanford University Web site

And they call this education?

I'd call it claptrap! :angry:

Edit: fixed quote tags :P v

A bullet between his eyes would be much too kind,,I hope he gets his.

I can fix that!

NICHOLAS DE GENOVA, Assistant Professor

Ph.D., University of Chicago

Telephone: (212) 854-0199

office: 416 Hamilton

email: [email protected]

The central concerns of my research and teaching include: labor and class formation, racialization, the production of urban space, nationalism, the politics of citizenship, and transnational social processes, especially migration. My ethnographic research explores the social productions of racialized and spatialized difference in the experiences of transnational Mexican migrant workers within the space of the U.S. nation-state. More specifically, I examine transnational urban conjunctural spaces that link the U.S. and Latin America as a standpoint of critique from which to interrogate U.S. nationalism, political economy, racialized citizenship, and immigration law. This work contributes to a reconceptualization of Latin American, Latino, and "American" (U.S.) Studies. Likewise, I am interested in the methodological problems of ethnographic research practice and the limits of anthropological disciplinary forms of knowledge and modes of representation.

Representative Publications:

1995 "Gangster Rap and Nihilism in Black America: Some Questions of Life and Death." Social Text 43: 89-132.

1995 "Check Your Head: The Cultural Politics of Rap Music." Transition 67: 123-37.

1996 "Split-Level Bedlam: Chicago at the End of the Twentieth Century." Public Culture 9:1: 114-25.

1997 "The Junkyard of Futures Past." Anthropology and Humanism 22:2: 171-79.

1998 "Race, Space, and the Reinvention of Latin America in Mexican Chicago." Latin American Perspectives 102: 25:5: 87-116.

He 'will' hear from me,, if he has the damn guts!!!

And thanks again for that info,,there are at least 2 items I can try!!

Without the rifle of course!! :mrgreen: v

I have always wondered who organizes the 3,000 ppl that protest. It must be ppl like him. Maybe he should return to Mexico - I am sure they would enjoy meeting him.

An academic furor was brewing Friday over a Columbia University professor who told thousands of students and faculty that he would like to see the United States defeated in Iraq and suffer "a million Mogadishus"

18 Troops killed in the mog versus between 3000 and 10000 indig casualties. I believe if we suffered it a million times, there would be no one left to fight ;)

NICHOLAS DE GENOVA, Assistant Professor

Ph.D., University of Chicago

Telephone: (212) 854-0199

office: 416 Hamilton

email: [email protected]

The central concerns of my research and teaching include: labor and class formation, racialization, the production of urban space, nationalism, the politics of citizenship, and transnational social processes, especially migration. My ethnographic research explores the social productions of racialized and spatialized difference in the experiences of transnational Mexican migrant workers within the space of the U.S. nation-state. More specifically, I examine transnational urban conjunctural spaces that link the U.S. and Latin America as a standpoint of critique from which to interrogate U.S. nationalism, political economy, racialized citizenship, and immigration law. This work contributes to a reconceptualization of Latin American, Latino, and "American" (U.S.) Studies. Likewise, I am interested in the methodological problems of ethnographic research practice and the limits of anthropological disciplinary forms of knowledge and modes of representation.

Representative Publications:

1995 "Gangster Rap and Nihilism in Black America: Some Questions of Life and Death." Social Text 43: 89-132.

1995 "Check Your Head: The Cultural Politics of Rap Music." Transition 67: 123-37.

1996 "Split-Level Bedlam: Chicago at the End of the Twentieth Century." Public Culture 9:1: 114-25.

1997 "The Junkyard of Futures Past." Anthropology and Humanism 22:2: 171-79.

1998 "Race, Space, and the Reinvention of Latin America in Mexican Chicago." Latin American Perspectives 102: 25:5: 87-116.

Whoever actually pays him to do that is an idiot! :huh: -kd5-

Whoever actually pays him to do that is an idiot! :huh: -kd5-

If he is Columbia University Professor, wouldn't that be the people of the State of New York? Or is Columbia private?

Now..now me old mate V....we both live in democracies and the cornerstone of a democracy is "free speech. What I would like you to do is recognise his right to express his opinion....then go after him with the old "gator gun"! ;)

I sent the professor a nice email:

Dear Sir:

I read with great interest the article about your speech at the teach in. While I consider myself a patriot and not a white supremacist, I do consider you an outright coward.

I respect and have defended your right to free speech by serving my country in the military. I would strongly suggest that to better get your point accross, the next time you feel inclined to give your cowardly and un-American point of view, make arrangements to give your speech at the local chapter of The Vietnam Veterans of America. Put your b***s where your mouth is so to speak.

Very nice one Hulk. I think persons such as him should have their citizenship revoked and get kicked out of the country forever...free speech is one thing, but encouraging people to defeat our military in one way or another is treasonous.

Very nice one Hulk. I think persons such as him should have their citizenship revoked and get kicked out of the country forever...free speech is one thing, but encouraging people to defeat our military in one way or another is treasonous.

Agreed.

:erm: Actually, Americans fight for freedom...that include freedom of speach...everyone has a right to their own opinions..( I do not share his though)...but the point I am getting to is where he is employed and to whom he made his speach to...He represents the University as to where he is employed, and if he uses his job to obtain an audience and expresses his own personal views (biased) and can not back it up with text book information to validate the information he gives to his students....well, might I say, the people you should contact is the University of his employ :shifty: and question them on why he still has a job. He is using their name and students to spread corruption. If I worked at Wendy's and told the customers that french fry oil caused cancer, do you think I would have a job? :angel: this is just a comment, not saying you should get him fired. :D but if you did, well I think he deserves it. :cheers:

Great letter Hulk. And a very good solution Jander.

Like my Dad used to say "I wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire"

My quote goes a little different.

"I wouldn't :filtered: on him if he were on fire" :) v