Change Mode

Internet Explorer

boanro

:help: trying to help a friend with a problem so i dont have alot of info at this time. He is using winxp. two problems. two users on this pc. first problem, when he opens up his internet explorer window, it goes to his home page, from there he has to type an address in the the address window using http://, and not put in www. example, he has to type http://espn.com. Now on my computer and every other i've seen, i type only www.espn.com. ok, second problem. for the other user, when she opens her internet explorer, the is no address area on the toolbar. so she has no where to type anything in. i did go to view-toolbars- and the address tolbar was checked. i unchecked and checked it again, but still nothing. thanks

Bob

Have you tried downloading the Google toolbar. Will save you lots of time using their search engine and eliminate the incessant typing of full address searches. Just get close and Google will find it. :lol: Offer quite a few other user friendly options that make your surfing more fun as well.

Edited by striker

On the first problem, where does he want it to go when he opens IE? Mine always goes to my homepage. He can go into IE properties and remove the homepage.

On the second one, look and see if there any raised grey lines on the toolbars, like the ones next to the Start button. If so, you can place your cursor over it and move it. You may have hidden the address window.

Also, when typing in an address, you can just type in, for example, espn, and then hit Cntrl Enter to go directly there.

On my 2k if you right click on the tool bar you get a box with ticks in (where chosen anyway) and address bar is there, if there is no tick against it click on it and the tick should then bring back the address bar for you to type in address's, I'd of thought it would be identical to xp and all other systems although I can't say it is for sure, but if it's the same for them then that will solve that problem, sorry I can't help with the other one though.

If you can't fix the address bar problem just make your homepage http://www.mozilla.org and download mozilla 1.7.1 or Firefox. And set that to your default browser. You can import address book and favorites to it from IE. I have been told that it is safer and doesn't have all the security wholes in it that IE does.

I remember my IE was messed up, when I unchecked something like "media" my google bar would go away (spyware was the issue), but try checking all the toolbar options and seeing if any of them bring the adress bar back.

If you can't fix it, try a reinstall of Iexplore, you should be able to find one at microsoft.com, but if you can't, reinstall Microsoft Word, it includes Internet Explorer (at least mine (word 2000, windows ME) does).

there is a separate cd that M$ will send you with Internet Explorer on it....that is, i believe different than Iexplorer. also, i have yet to see Word have an install of IE with it. for a phone number, go to M$ support where you can obtain support via email and nose around....even if it isn't the right number, they will direct you to the right extension. if i cone across the number, i'll post it for you. i've apparently put it in a very safe place :P

Just a thought here, I don't know if xp has this option, but on 98se you could add and remove windows componants without having to do a full reinstall, this may be a quicker option for you if you have this option, unless thats what you meant by saying to reinstall, but it would only take a few minutes to see if it works trying this if you were looking at a full clean install, unless there are other issues to then it may be quicker in the long run.

Google toolbar is crap. For me, it's all about having max window space. Take the text out of the icons in the toolbar, and use small icons. You don't need a Google toolbar or a Yahoo Companion, just put those sites in your bookmarks (or favorites for you Windows people).

Truthfully, I can't really give great help to IE users, I feel bad for you, but I won't go back to that browser to find out how to help you out. If you insist on using Windows, get a Mozilla browser and e-mail client, and stop using IE and OE. They are virus-riddled crap. I use Mozilla 1.6, but for you Windows people they have Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for e-mail. Use them, you will be so happy that viruses won't get you like they get people who use the default Windows crap.

Yes, I think everyone should ditch Windows and rock with the Penguin, but this is U2U, and I have given you honest Windows advice. IE and OE are an infection waiting to happen. If you're not brave enough to get with Linux, or if you are a stone gamer that really needs to run XP - at least use browsers and e-mail that is safer than what Mr. Bill offers. Mozilla. Use it, you will love it.

There are other browsers too like Opera, but I think you have to pay for it.

Just don't use Insecure Explorer and Virus Express, and you won't need all those extra apps like Lavasoft and Spybot. A firewall is still essential, no matter what OS you choose to run.