Kde 3.1.1

Bruce

Downloading it right now. I just went up to 3.1 about 2 weeks ago. :mrgreen: Looks like the KDE folks have been busy.

RedHat 8.0 rpms are available, and for anyone running RedHat 7.3 the ASPLinux rpms work in RedHat 7.3. I'll give a hollar if 3.1.1 breaks anything LOL.

3.1 from ASPLinux works fine so I am assuming the 3.1.1 rpms will work also, *crosses fingurs*

No I don't think you will have to.

I am up and running in it now, it is running flawless. The only thing I had to change was the splash screen, it installs an ASPLinux splash screen, if that isn't something that would bother you then I would recomend installing it.

It is faster then previous versions and has a few nice additional features. BTW The new OpenOffice beta is also out and loads about 4 times faster then previous versions. :mrwinky:

Oh by the way not all the mirrors have the 3.1.1 version and several that do are slow. I used the swedish site and the download came in at blazing speed. You only need the directory "i386" you do not need all the other directories.

Just go up one level from here and copy/patse the whole i386 directory to your home directory. ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/3....PLinux/7.3/i386

Then as root run rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm That will install all the files for you, be patient it takes a while then when it is done just reboot, and all will be good.

Oh by the way not all the mirrors have the 3.1.1 version and several that do are slow. I used the swedish site and the download came in at blazing speed. You only need the directory "i386" you do not need all the other directories.

Just go up one level from here and copy/patse the whole i386 directory to your home directory. ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/3....PLinux/7.3/i386

Then as root run rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm That will install all the files for you, be patient it takes a while then when it is done just reboot, and all will be good.

sweet! :tup:

yeah there seems to be a slowdown at the main site linked to by kde.org i was gonna blame you and your new internet connection, but since you said you downloaded from another server...... oh well.... i'll blame you anyway! j/k

:P:mrgreen:

seems like it's working all right. couple of things that annoy me at the moment cause i haven't figured out how to change some things back that asplinux changed. it changed my home desktop icon and won't let me change it back. plus keramick seems to have lost it's transparent toolbar. any ideas on getting the toolbar transparent again? at least i think i can get used to the blue tent for the home icon. :blink:

on the positive note, everything else seems to be working fine and nothing major like associated apps for specific file extensions were changed or anything and it is tons faster than the version i was running which was 3.0.3-5 pretty cool. :)

Edited by megaspaz

i don't know if you noticed this bruce, but when installing the lisa rpm, it changes the original /etc/lisarc to /etc/lisarc.rpmold and installs a new /etc/lisarc file that uses the same ping and allowed ip addresses that are the defaults before you configure lan browsing... you know those search addresses that are originally 192.168.100.0, etc... that needs to be changed. also a lisa daemon is put in the service conf at boot up. played with it and it's better to still call the lisa daemon in /etc/rc.d/rc.local as leaving that line in and disabling the lisa entry in service conf works, but commenting out the command in rc.local and leaving the lisa entry enabled in service conf doesn't work and yeilds a could not connect to localhost error. :)

Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes lisa needs to be reconfigured, but the "autosetup" works fine it takes a couple seconds. I still start the lisa deamon with my own command through /etc/rc.d/rc.local :mrgreen:

Sorry I forgot to mention that. :woot:

You can get some from kdelook and follow the directions.

Or I can send you the original and you copy the pics directory to /usr/share/apps/ksplash/pics

I will upload it to my webspace and link it here for you