I Just Installed Rh 7.3 But

Jander

I just isntalled RH 7.3 from the RH 7.3 Bible. I chose a graphical install, then a workstation install. I had it install every choice except KDE. So I get it done, and go to take a look around. Before I go on, I'll give the specs to the system I put it on: 1.2G duron, 512M ram, 8.something G ata 33 hd and a cheap driverless vid card...also, the mobo is a chaintech 7AJA-100.

So I get into gnome after a million tries (it never told me I'd hava to login as root...). After I was sure everything had loaded up and the computer was ready, I went to look at the most important part: games! I tried the Tux slide game and another spaceship game, and they both were slow...it felt like playing online on a slow system with a 14.4 conn...it was terrible. Other than that, when I double clicked an icon, it seemed slow...

Is this just how RH is, or did something go wrong? Compared to XP, this felt sooo slooooww...

Guest Rob99

One thing you will need to do is install KDE. In my opinion, its much better than gnome, and maybe thats the cause for some slowness. Then, you will need to install some 3D drivers. You are lucky the games even worked without them, and thats why it felt slow. You didnt name the maker of your card, so noone can help you with drivers until we know what kind of video card you have. The KDE is a preference thing, but 3D drivers are a must for the games.

Jander, that's exactly where I got my rh7.3- the rh7.3 bible. You probably should have chose to install everthing, it's just easier.

Anyway, Rob's right about your 3d drivers, it just so happens you tried out the only 2 games(that come with the distro) that require the 3d drivers to work. Tux Racer and Chromium. If you haven't installed the 3d drivers yet, you can still check out the other games on there, besides those two. But you will definitly want to get those drivers, especially if you plan on installing any other linux games (like Quake) or if you want to play Tux or Chromium. No fun playin' in slow mo.

Besides, ya just gotta play Tux Racer, it's against the law to install linux and not play Tux. :mrwinky::mrgreen:

:tux:

Well, I do have a nvidia tnt2 card...I have the cd for it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have linux drivers (or does that matter?). I would really like to get used to linux because I feel (hopefully correctly) that programmers are going to start making everything for linux and I'll have to get used to it anyway.

So...can I just pop in the disk and have it install kde?

O, and the vid card...how 'bout that?

EDIT: Should I set my bios to non pnp? Are there any special bios settings I should be aware of?

Guest Rob99

I think a good way if installing KDE would be to put the disk in like you was gonna install redhat, then just "update" it, and choose to install KDE. Been quite a while since Ive ran linux, but that will work, might not be the fastest way thou. And, like Bruce said, go to nvidia's website for the drivers, thats the same video card I have on this machine and it works good enough to play most games. If you get stuck, on the left of the drivers page, they have a linux forum and search thru the database and you will be able to find how to install them correctly, or if you want, we will be more than glad to help you out.

Oh, Im not sure about the BIOS thing. I never went into the BIOS to change any settings and everything was ok.

Edited by Rob99

Bruce, you're a genious! Seriously, I never thought about going there :blushing: Yes, I would like more help if I can get it here...I have a tendency to mess up things like this- when its for me :mrgreen:

I'll go check out nvidia, and I'll report back here what I find.

you need to match up your kernel version. if you haven't updated your kernel to exactly 2.4.18-10 then you can't use the straight binaries. you'll have to get the source rpms and make sure you have your kernel version's source code installed so you can build the drivers.

you can find the kernel source code rpm here:

http://o2s2r.omnet.sn/pub/RH7.3/RedHat/RPM...4.18-3.i386.rpm

you may want to bookmark this site too if you ever need any packages:

http://o2s2r.omnet.sn/pub/RH7.3/RedHat/RPMS/

you'll need these files installed in the order posted below:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-....0-3123.src.rpm

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-....0-3123.src.rpm

you'll have to rebuild them with the command in the cli:

rpm --rebuild the_file_name.src.rpm

this will make a binary rpm which you can click on to install the drivers in the directory path:

/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386