Sign in to follow this  
Countrydave55

Zonealarm Antivirus

ive used it, and eventually went back to regular pro version, never had a virus to test it, doesnt seem that great and it uses alot more resources than the pro version so since thats true then you might as well just use another antivirus, one thats tested to work well...recent reviews ive read of latest antivirus tests showed latest versions of mcafee the best and pcscillan was poorest while best firewall was sygates latest, zonealarmpro was second or third i think

It's in the new version 5.0 of Z.A. but there's many reports that's it's very buggy and most are recommending that version 4.5 be used until it gets fixed, I haven't heard lately of any fixes for it yet tho

Well I have ZA Pro and PC-Cillin but they seem to be at war. ZA -Pro won't upgrade because of PC-Cillin and Pc-Cillin won't upgrade because with ZA in stalled. They both say contact the other one for a patch. Makes me think they are at war with one another.

I looked at AVG for networks but I'm not sure how their network product is. I like the single install I have.

Won't go back to McAfee and Norton sucks up too many resources.

Any one else with any thoughts.

CDave, I have the same thing ver. 4.5. You have to install pc cillin first, then turn off their (pc cillin's) firewall in the pc cillin control panel, then Z.A. ver. 4.5.x will install without any hitches

Edited by Joe C

Avoid the new version of ZoneAlarm like the plague. I installed it and it messed my internet connection up. Knocked me offline twice. I uninstalled it and re-installed the old version. Since then, I've have not had a problem.

That's why I've put a link to the old version in my sig, in case anyone is foolish enough to install the new version.

Well that helps.

Pc-Cillin is running but it is an older version and won't update this last week. Their website says I need to upgrade but their upgrade won't install with error "Zonealarm components found. Must be removed to complete install. Remove? yes no"

And as noted ZA says its upgrade is incompatible with PcCillin. I can wait on the ZA upgrade.

I guess I can uninstall ZA , upgrade Pc-Cillin and try to reinstall ZA.

A bit of a pain though.

trend micro has added a firewall into their prog, doesn't like Z.A. So uninstall Z.A., upgrade cillin, turn off cillin's firewall and install Z.A.

I have their firewall turned off. But ZA 5.0 pro won't install with Pc-Cillin installed. Bit of a vicious circle.

ZA has an AV. I have read good things about it but I would like to see an objective test and see what kind of system burden it is.

No thanks no NAV for me.

ZA has an AV. I have read good things about it but I would like to see an objective test and see what kind of system burden it is.

No thanks no NAV for me.

I know ZA has a AV, i'm not that fried..

Actually, I wouldn't say that, but I still know they have a AV. I'm just saying, they really shouldn't have done that.. :lol:

Sorry guess I didn't understand.

We're all fried to a certain extent :shifty::lol:

Z.A. 5.0 is BUGGY...don't use it. get v. 4.5.594.000

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

The mods on the ZoneAlarm forum are still recommending that you hold off upgrading to version 5 for a bit longer.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=17468

Edited by Joe C

Yes but that leaves me stuck. Even if I don't upgrade ZA to Ver. 5 My Pc-Cilin is no longer updating (no longer supported). The upgrade Pc-Cillin doesn't want ZA installed. I haven't tried installing Pc-Cillin and reinstalling the old ZA yet.

Well Dave, all I can tell ya is that I have Z.A. and PC-Cillin running on my pc right now, Did the same thing you're expeiriencing...I uninstalled Z.A. (don't worry about your settings cuz they do get saved,even your license key), I did the uninstall manually, in add/remove, rebooted. Put pc-cillin in and did the install without z.a.

Went into the pc-cillin control panel and shut down pc-cillins firewall( open main, firewall tab, firewall profiles, uncheck the box "enable firewall" close pc-cillin.

Install Z.A., be sure you use a previuos version cuz 5.0 is still buggy and it's giving a lot of people problems with it.

Edit: if your still lincensed for pc-cillin, then a fresh download would be better than an upgrade, just need to add your info (if you got an old version like pc-cillin 02 then just try the updated scan engine...saw a link in an e-mail somewhere...brb)

the new pattern file is here

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/npf/overview.htm

Edited by Joe C