Why Do People Like Linux?

Bubba

ok, Installed linux today mandrake 9 just basic install none of the other packages got it in ok now what do i do ok lets look for a msn alternative got one huh i need c to compile that got that hmm i need nison to run c hmmm i need some other #%^*! to run that stuff that. ok wine, ill tyr using it same thign need loads of different thigns to install it.

plus crashed 3 times in 1 hours now that is un stable when i run windows for 16 days staright was the longest without crashing.

So why linux why do people use it?

Well Bubba, from what I gathered from your post, first you didn't even install everything, and you should have. Second, you're trying to run windows programs in linux. Did you run linux programs in windows? No. It doesn't work that way.

You can't just expect it to set up for you.

As for your boast of running windows 16 days without crashing, thats nothing compared to linux, once you get it set up.

Sounds to me like you just gave up. If you not willing to give an honest try, then stick with windows. If you decide to actually try linux, install everything, and try to configure it as best you can to your machine, and if there is anything you need help with, just ask. But keep in mind, just posting- this sucks, how do you use it, without any details makes it hard to help you.

My biggest piece of advice- don't bother with it, if you're not even willing to try.

If you are, there plenty of folks here who are glad to help. :)

Oh yeah, in case anyone's interested, do you know what I think sucks? Windows. It costs a fortune, and you don't even get a multitude of programs with it. I can't share it with anybody, heck I can't even put it on another computer that I own! How screwy is that? Ya have to install all the extra programs in windows, without a choice, and if you try to uninstall one, half you other programs won't work anymore, because they're all dependent on each other. Plus, even after all that money paid for it, you still don't own it, ol' Bill won't allow that, he's just granting you permission to use it. And secrurity, don't even get me started on that... :rolleyes: How come in windows I have to have anti-virus, cookie blocker, and spyware removing programs, and in linux I don't? It's more secure I guess. Oh, I could go on and on and on, but I won't. I think everyone knows my opinion by now.

:mrgreen::mrwinky::mrgreen:

:tux: <-- :wub:

But seriously, Bubba if you need help with linux, just ask. If you want.

Just curious what about drivers? how hard are they to find and or configure?

dvd

cd

sound card

Is linux compatible with my g-force4 :filtered: 4200 x8

just curious

linux has excellent hardware detection....

most of the driver problems are related to onboard sound cards and some winmodems.

because having windows up for 16 days straight without crashing is pathetic. had my linux machine running 30 days straight ripping dvds. and then i just shut her down cause it's a laptop and had to take it with me. peeps have had there linux servers up and running for over a year. take that. :P

i would fathom, farmgirl is right. you just didn't install and configure linux right. no operating system is gonna be stable if you don't install and configure it right. if you need help, ask. but don't try to tell me linux sucks. it just makes you sound ignorant.

now linux is totally different than windows. windows won't let you make alterations to the source code. linux does, which is why a lot of software for linux needs to be compiled. but linux also has binary installers too call rpms. yes the dependencies and finding them can be a pain in the tush, but software in linux is free and you can find all the dependencies you need on the net. not as convenient as windows, but it is cheaper and not that difficult.

so if you need help ask or just stick with that spyware called windows, but don't go around spouting off linux sucks just cause you didn't install and configure it right. people use linux because it's better than windows.

ok, Installed linux today mandrake 9 just basic install none of the other packages got it in ok now what do i do ok lets look for a msn alternative got one huh i need c to compile that got that hmm i need nison to run c hmmm i need some other #%^*! to run that stuff that. ok wine, ill tyr using it same thign need loads of different thigns to install it.

plus crashed 3 times in 1 hours now that is un stable when i run windows for 16 days staright was the longest without crashing.

Basic install does not install the necessary source applications that will allow you to install 3rd party applications. By default Mandrake linux will only install the necessary applications for the PC to run. Linux started out as a server operating system, and still is designed with that in mind. In a corporate enviroment you wouldn't want users to have the ability to add anything to the system. It's called "security".

There are at least 5 msn compatible messanger clients that I am aware of, and probably more. If you had asked, we could have told you that "GAIM" preinstalled in Mandrake has a msn plugin!

If you needed help installing applications you should have asked! When you have problems in windows you ask right? Why can't you do the same when you are using a completely new operating system to you? Because you don't know how to do something yet, doesn't mean the OS sucks, it simply means you don't know how to use it. :mrwinky: If you need help just ask.

As far as the crashing goes, what are you calling a crash? What werte you doing when it supposedly crashed? What application crashed? What hardware do you have? Was it all working? Do you need help setting up something? What is it you want to do in linux? If we knew what exactly you want to do, then we can tell you how. I haven't found the application "it sucks" yet. So I don't know how to set that one up.

16 days was the longest without crashing in windows? You obviously haven't set that up correctly either. Windows 2000, and Windows XP if set up correctly will run much longer then that without crashing.

As far as linux stability goes it is much more stable then windows "when set up correctly" I have one machine with an uptime of more then a year. :tux::rocks:

*cough* END USER!

linux is the best. Plain and simple. Your not. :woot:

btw when i said 16 days without crashing i didnt mean it crashed at that tim ei just turned it off as i had nothign to do on and i was runinngin a cs server when i wasnt at the pc ripping dvds download it was alwyas being maxed out and never crashed plus the install packages crashe din linux not the windows programs

btw does linux have ctrl alt and delete liek windows or is there somehtign else to end a programs task?

Hey Bubba, Mandrake 9 is really the only linux distro that I've had freeze up without being able to recover or just completely crash. Dunno if I used bad iso images, or what. If you want a nicer introduction to linux, you should try SuSE linux 8.1 or Red Hat 7.3. RH 7.3 may require a little more manual setup than SuSE or Mandrake. Linux is not crashproof, but it does have highly respectable fault tolerance, and that's one major reason why it's so popular in the web server and other server worlds. Personally, I still use Windows for playing most of my games and music studio recording, but for a software development/networking environment, linux and the other variations of unix are what I like to use. And once you get past the initial learning curve associated with using linux, you'll discover that there are all kinds of great programs out there for you to download to do all kinds of interesting things - if you're a real computer geek like a lot of us :mrgreen:

*** and as far as stability, personally, I think Win2000 is the most respectable MS operating system because its stability, in my experience, is practically on the level of the various un*xes. However, if you're into hacking around you'll find that the un*xes are far superior in the amount of customization you can do with them to meet your needs, in terms of security, performance, etc.

Edited by Stasi

I had givin up on them a long time ago, I agree Stasi Mandrake is about the only distro to ever lock up tighter then a witches &&&.

I am trying 9.1 right now and already am not liking a few things. They do some pretty strange stuff, I mean like a CDROM icon with the label under it CD-ROM mounted at /mnt/cdrom Ummmmm, a simple litlle CD-ROM would have sufficed, the desktop starts to look a little silly with the same thing for floppy, my burner, network shares, it's starting to look like a book. LMAO What they hell were they thinking?

Only one so far and it did indeed lock up the machine. I cant compile in a terminal with konqueror open, the changing files locks up the machine if konq is open. I am sure I will find the problem, for now I just don't leave konq open when compiling. I'll tell ya now, ya may not want to waste your bandwidth on Mandrake.