Sign in to follow this  
white_cloud_8

Reg/seeker

So should I add the registration entry to the registry and then delete it from there (edit it)? :blink:

As mentioned in the article, might be a "False positive". Wouldn't suggest you delete from registry though unless you back-up your registry in case you have to undo. ;)

Hawk :beer:

I added the registration entry to the registry and it was successful. I then followed up with doing another scan using McAfee Free Scan and the same infected file came up :erm::angry:.

I then followed up with doing another scan using McAfee Free Scan and the same infected file came up

As McAfee is the only one finding anything, i'd say it is a false positive.

Before you ask any more questions on this subject, what other virus scanners have you tried and what were the results?? :)

Inp. ;)

Well you can check near the bottom of the first page, I mentioned all of the scans that I currently have done (a couple of times each already). I did scans using: CW Shredder, Windows Security Trojan Scan, X-Cleaner, Swat It!, McAfee Free Scan, Norton AntiVirus 2003 (my anti-virus software), McAfee ADVERT Stinger, HijackThis, and, PC Pitstop Virus Scan. All of these except for McAfee Free Scan picked up on Reg/Seeker.

All of these except for McAfee Free Scan picked up on Reg/Seeker.

Think you got that the wrong way round WC8. :)

I checked all your previous posts and only McAfee came across it, that's why i said it's probably a false positive.

Also there is the fact that you cannot find the file in question to upload for checking.

Let's try HouseCall

I have a link for a trojan remover programme, but as i have not tested it myself yet to see if it's legit i'm not too keen on posting it.

BTW. Do you have SpyBot S&D and Ad-aware6 installed??

Inp. ;)

Okay, I just did a virus scan using Trend Micro HouseCall and there were no infected files. I have always had both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware 6.0 on my PC and run scans for each very frequently ;). I forgot to mention that I also have previously used HouseCall and still nothing came up :pullhair:.

Okay, it boils down to whether or not Reg/Seeker is harmful in any way to my PC, and, it was previously mentioned that it was a false positive (if there actually is an infected file...ah hell I don't know anymore :rolleyes:).

Okay:

RAV AntiVirus Scan Online - nothing found

ewido security suite - Terminator.exe, located in: C:\hp\bin\ (it was cleaned and deleted)

Bazooka - detected MS Media Player GUID (it was removed through regedit.exe)

AntiVir - nothing found

CA eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner - nothing found

Pest Scan came up with CWS.GoogleMS.3 - Hijacker, located in:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\zonemap\domains\xxxtoolbar.com

Also, AtlasDMT.com - Tracking Cookie, it was deleted.

I am much more worried about CWS.GoogleMS.3 - Hijacker :mrsgreen: and when I checked the location it was filled with :filtered: domains :angry::woot::angry:. I'm just wondering how the hell this crap got onto my PC? :huh: It scares me more if some other components are hiding elsewhere

Don't worry about the Pestscan result. It always shows on mine as well. So long as it's in Restricted Sites you're OK ;)

:beer:

Should I get rid of it? Also, how can I check to make sure it is in the Restricted Sites zone? This is worrying me :(, you are saying that this is common?

I thought I should just mention that I am still getting that infected file: Reg/Seeker when I just did a scan using McAfee Free Scan. Help...please :help: :help: :help:

Guest Deborah_41_1962

I thought I should just mention that I am still getting that infected file: Reg/Seeker when I just did a scan using McAfee Free Scan.  Help...please :help:  :help:  :help:

Reg/Seeker Info and link to clean it.

According to this, this is one of a few options. You should be able to get information and a possible way to clean this trojan from your system depending on the variant.

I hope this helps you. If nothing else educate you a little more about the trojan and possible steps to take. I wish you the best.

Edited by Deborah_41_1962

Tools,Internet Options,Security,Restricted Sites.Sites.(XP that is)

You'll find xxxtoolbar.com along with all the other nasties.

Tools,Internet Options,Security,Restricted Sites.Sites.(XP that is)

You'll find xxxtoolbar.com along with all the other nasties.

I'm just wondering though how the hell this crap made its way onto my PC? :mrsgreen::angry::woot:

BTW: If you check my profile it has my system info :)

Guest Deborah_41_1962

I'm just wondering though how the hell this crap made its way onto my PC? :mrsgreen::angry::woot:

BTW: If you check my profile it has my system info :)

I have found most of this crap finds it's way by pop up ads, piggybacking on emails, in chat rooms and on downloaded programs.

I have seen this garbage piggyback itself on my parents' email to me and I KNOW they are not into that.

Now, I scan everything that comes into my box AND I have several pop up blockers.

It doesn't hurt, if you have the MB in your email client, to set your filters in your SPAM folder to recognize key words and then route that garbage into the Trash Can of your email client. Double check the Trash Folder before erasing it just in case a legit letter accidently finds itself there.

I cannot tell you the hoards of email and garbage one link from an infected email brings into your mail or how this garbage changes your homepages or hijacks your browser.

Good luck.

Reg/Seeker Info and link to clean it.

According to this, this is one of a few options. You should be able to get information and a possible way to clean this trojan from your system depending on the variant.

I hope this helps you. If nothing else educate you a little more about the trojan and possible steps to take. I wish you the best.

I tryed to find info on Reg/Seeker but there was nothing. What are some other methods of getting rid of this damn infected file :angry:? It is really :censored: me off now.

I'm just wondering though how the hell this crap made its way onto my PC?

This list is stuff that we're keeping out.

There are a number of programmes you can use to keep clean but if you click on these things you let them in.

Also try Mailwasher to view your mail on the server

http://www.mailwasher.net/

and this prog tells you what site you're on in case of spoofed addresses

http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick/

Thanx oatman, but the problem remains with trying to get rid of Reg/Seeker :(. Eventhough I have not noticed anything wrong what is this Reg/Seeker actually doing to my PC? Any more suggestions are fixes that might help?