Sign in to follow this  
ramjam

Istmp1.dir & Istm2.dir In C:windows

istmp1.dir and istmp2.dir in C:Windows

I am working on repairing my computer after a "something" (virus/trojan/hijack/nasty beast???) yesterday. I first noticed the wavy color line along the task bar, and sluggish performance. Ran Spybot, Adaware, HJT, and AVG; then rebooted. Got a message: "microsoft Registry checking files. Windows found an error in your system files and restored a recent backup of files to fix the problem. Press enter to restart."

Of course, that DID NOT fix the problem. What was restored was something from a long time ago, and included in the restore was all the nasty stuff that had been cleaned out by my virus & spyware software. Also restored references to old programs that I had uninstalled, including McAfee. (haven't used that in over a year - & it took hours & hours deleting all that McAfee stuff a year ago!) Oh yeah, AVG "core driver" was missing, all Spyware Blaster immunizations were gone, ZA was removed, as well as Spybot S&D & Adaware.

Anyway...... have gotten ZA, Spybot S&D, Adaware, Spyware Blaster & AVG all back. Have updated and scanned each one at least 3 times, and used Trend Micro, PcPitstop & several other scans.

Question: "istmp1.dir" and "istmp2.dir" : Are these 2 files normal windows file, or are they something I need to look at closer? They were created June 14, 2002, & I'm wondering if they might have been part of the garbage that was restored to my computer by the MS Registry File Checker. It says:

"Corecomp.ini

;

; This file stores information about files that InstallShield

; will install to the Windows\System folder, such as Windows

; 95 and NT 4.0 core components and DAO, ODBC, and ActiveX files.

;

; The entries have the following format, without a space before

; or after the equal sign:

;

; <file name>=<properties>

;

; Currently, following properties are supported:

; 0x00000000 No registry entry is created for this file. It is

; not logged for uninstallation, and is therefore

; never removed.

;

; Inappropriate modification to this file can prevent an

; application from getting Windows 95/Windows NT logo.

;

; Last Updated: 8/26/98

[Win32] "

Sorry this is so long :(

Thanks for that link.

I'm still not sure what they are. They are the very first in the C:Windows list. If they were in one of the temp folders, I'd delete them, but since they are freestanding in C:Windows, I don't know if they are a normal part of windows, or were put there by "something" as a way of avoiding being deleted. Thanks again.