Change Mode

How Long Should You Leave The Cmos Battery Out?

kd5

Working on this guys computer, finally got everything up to snuff, but he wanted me to find out if I could get his old CDROM working. Plugged it in, untangled some wires, inadvertantly plugged the hard drive back in as slave :( , booted up, got a series of 6 or 7 beeps followed by 2 beeps, followed by nothing. Corrected the Master/Slave arrangement but still got the beeps. So I removed the battery hoping to reset the CMOS. Just wondering how long I should leave it out. -kd5-

I don't know a correct amount of time but when I recently took mine out to reset the cmos I initially took it out for about 3 hours or so, but couldn't understand why it wouldn't boot after I put it back, anyway it was late at night when I put it back and decided to deal with it in the morning and after an initial bit of messing around it finally booted, so my guess is a few hours should do it, but I have also heard/seen comments about being able to short a couple of pins on the motherboard which takes a few seconds to reset it, but hopefully someone may have a more specific answer for you but a few hours worked for me if that helps.

Left the battery out for about 15 minutes, put it back in, plugged everything back in, fired it up, and I'm still getting the beeps. Unplugged the slave connection to the old CDROM, should I take the battery back out and leave it out for awhile again before I try to fire it up? -kd5-

Pulled the battery out again. Right now everything is back exactly the way it was before I started trying to get this damned CDROM working again. His new CD-R/W was working just fine but he wanted to get his old CDROM working again... :(

I had everything working just fine last night before I shut everything down for the night. I wish I'd have never screwed with that old CDROM... :angry: -kd5-

Have you tried booting without the drive connected ?

I had a similar problem with a video card once and the tech bloke who I know said it was a driver issue in my case, could this be the same for you ?

Could you boot without the drive connected then get all the updates and drivers and see if you can reconnect it with more success aftewards ?

I never had to install any drivers or updates for the hard drive or CD-R/W drive when I finally got this thing formatted and XP re-installed. Never tried to boot a computer without a hard drive connected, what can I expect and what would that solve?

Sorry, I'm just a bit PO'd about this little bit of insanity... :( Everything was working so well last night, now this... -kd5-

Well it will boot fine without the cd rom, it just wont see it so wont try to load it, obviously if you removed the h/d and it was the one with the OS on it wouldn't boot, but hopefully it should boot without the problem device (cd rom) and make sure everything else is fine, then with any luck when you reconnect it the PC will see it as a new device and load it.

Ahh, OK...I see. The problem CDROM is currently disconnected, and can stay that way as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't working (it had died according to what the guy said) when he brought the PC over here. Seems odd that connecting it would cause so much havoc. -kd5-

Ah well if he says it wasn't working before you got it there may well be a hardware failure invovled, but if a PC has something attached it is designed to know it should be working and will attempt to get it working, if there is something stopping it working then sometimes it just can't do anything and messes you about as it seems to of done here, if you have a spare machine and want to check the drive out try plugging it in to that machine and see if it works there, if it doesn't then it must be a fault on the drive I'd suggest, but if they don't care about it then unless you like the challenge you may as well leave it be. :)

Oh, I don't mind a challenge, I just don't like it when it ruins all my good work. Then it becomes a liability and can expect the dumpster as far as I'm concerned... :angry::(

And No, I don't think I'll be putting that CDROM anywhere other than where it's at right now... ;) -kd5-

Wish I didn't have to leave this battery out so long... :(

Don't know enough about motherboard jumpers to screw with that. There's pins sticking up all over this thing and I don't think any of them have jumpers on them, plus there's 2 little plastic blocks with switches on them, I'm afraid to touch those switches for fear of royally screwing up any chance of ever getting this thing to work right again... :huh: -kd5-

I don't know a correct amount of time but when I recently took mine out to reset the cmos I initially took it out for about 3 hours or so, but couldn't understand why it wouldn't boot after I put it back, anyway it was late at night when I put it back and decided to deal with it in the morning and after an initial bit of messing around it finally booted, so my guess is a few hours should do it, but I have also heard/seen comments about being able to short a couple of pins on the motherboard which takes a few seconds to reset it, but hopefully someone may have a more specific answer for you but a few hours worked for me if that helps.

You have to short 2 pins ( bolded ) with a small screwdriver, besides the " CLRTC " mark on the motherboard

I have this from the handbook from a cinet pc with asus p2b motherboard, doing this you reset it within a second.

I had to do this because someone had put some password on this pc, so I couldn't come into the bios.

This helped.

goodluck: gaggen

I was just looking at the manual for this Gigabyte motherboard, and according to the diagram, the switch settings on those two blocks are totally different than what the diagram says they should be... :blink:

But it was working fine before this little catastrophy... :huh: -kd5-

Reset the switches according to the diagram and still got the beeps resulting in nothing. :angry:

Got like 8 beeps then 2 beeps then 1 beep.

Downloading Acrobat Reader on my 'puter now so I can look at the manual more closely. -kd5-

Alright kd5 lets drop back and punt here a minute. Have you checked the RAM and vid. card to make sure that they are seated properly? Checked all the connections? CMOS jumper on the right, *normal*, pins?

I'm sure you are really thorough but I have pulled some real boners and most were cleared up by just taking a deep breath and running through the "checklist" again.

What the Beeps mean

Audio Beep Errors:

Number of Beeps Description of Problem Solution

1 beep DRAM refresh failure Try re-seating the memory first. If the error still occurs, replace the memory with known good chips.

2 beeps Parity Circuit Failure

3 beeps Base 64K RAM failure

4 beeps System Timer Failure Send System Board in for Repair

5 beeps Processor Failure

6 beeps Keyboard Controller / Gate A20 Failure Try re-seating the keyboard controller chip. If the error still occurs, replace the keyboard chip. If the error persists, check parts of the system relating to the keyboard, e.g. try another keyboard, check to see if the system has a keyboard fuse.

7 beeps Virtual Mode Exception Error Send System Board in for Repair

8 beeps Display Memory Read/Write Failure Indicates a memory error on the video adapter. Try re-seating the video card. If it still beeps, try replacing the video card or the memory on the video card.

9 beeps ROM BIOS Checksum Failure Indicates faulty BIOS chip(s). It is not likely that this error can be corrected by re-seating the chips. Consult the motherboard supplier or an AMI product distributor for replacement part(s).

10 beeps CMOS Shutdown Register Read/Write Error Send System Board in for Repair

1 long 2 short Video failure Reseat the video board - replace if board is determined to be faulty.

1 long 3 short Video failure

1 long POST passed. No Errors :P

sorry didn't see Ikebut's post :blushing:

I hope you made a note of where those dip switches were in case you need to put them back. :blink:

Yes, I made a note... ;)

Found out the video card was half pulled out of the slot. Feel like a dipswitch... :blushing: Everything is back to being fine now.

Thanks everybody... -kd5-

You have to short 2 pins ( bolded ) with a small screwdriver, besides the " CLRTC " mark on the motherboard

I have this from the handbook from a cinet pc with asus p2b motherboard, doing this you reset it within a second.

I had to do this because someone had put some password on this pc, so I couldn't come into the bios.

This helped.

goodluck: gaggen

Handy to know Thanks, not 100% if all boards would have the same solution or that I'd have the bottle to take a gamble trying unless it was extremely clearly marked on the board incase I caused a melt down or something lol. :lol:

Couldn't elaborate with the guy sitting right next to me, but looking at the Beep Codes link that ike posted, I noticed the 9 beep code was video oriented. The actual beeps I was hearing were what sounded to me like 2 really quick beeps, then 8 beeps, then 2, then 1. I thought that perhaps those 2 really quick beeps in the beginning were actually 1, adding to the 8 meant 9, and decided to pull the video card out & reseat it. Took the screw out and the card pretty much popped out in my hand, so it wasn't even fully seated in the slot. I moved it to a different slot any way, Went to put the screw back in and it wanted to pull the outer edge of the card back out of the slot. So I put the screw in to anchor it, then pushed the outer edge of the card firmly down into the slot, booted up and with the exception of having to go into the bios to reset the time and set the bios defaults, XP booted up and everything was back up to snuff.

Jeez.......cobbled up POS... :rolleyes: -kd5-

Archived