Change Mode

Proxy, Routers, Internet, Nntp, And Me

Guest Nyder

Guest Nyder

Hello!

I would like to access NNTP through my friends account. I have his permission, but I'm not sure how to get by the router. Here's the setup:

his computer <--> Router <--> cable modem <--> Internet (MDM)

The problem is that his computers IP is different then the internet-connections IP.

So, can someone maybe tell me the best way to access his NNTP so it thinks it's coming from his computer? That is, without me taking my laptop over there and connecting into his router myself (which is what I do know, when I get the chance). I mean, over internet without resorting to PCanywhere or anything. I don't want control of his computer, just to route some data through it.

and yes, I do have permission to do this, so I can install anything on his side. I did install winproxy, but I haven't figured out how to actually see his computer from internet.

thanks

Nyder

you have to connect to his router IP (external) and prolly through a different port that is open to HIS inbound traffic. normal port 80 is usually closed.

on his end, he must set up all requests being sent on that specific port to be forwarded to his nntp (his computer i'm assuming?) that feature is in the router and pretty straight foreward.

g'luck

Guest Nyder

okay, i'd just need to instruct the newsreader to use the router's ip, with the normal port of nntp (forgot what it was at the moment), and I'll need to instruct his router to use the proxy port instead of the normal port. and the proxy will point to his nntp.

Is that correct?

so that will make it seem like I'm accessing the nntp server from his computer?

thanks