Change Mode

Network Cables

dark

right... at networking im a complete newb! noob! however you say it...

anyways.. i know what a rj45 cable is... but does a cat5e do the same... or is it slower or faster or something.. and can i connect it to a ethernet port? between 2 computers to make a mini network?

I could be wrong...but isn't cat5 the cable, and rj-45 the connector? It's kinda' confusing unless you hear it from someone who knows...someone around here does.

But as for connecting two computers, you'll need either a cable called a crossover cable to connect them directly, or just a network cable, the modem, and a router.

well..

when i go for a lan at a mates.. he uses a patch cable... so im guessing it is a rj45... but then again i couldnt be wrong.. we pinched it from our local school :woot: gutted they were.......

so the cat5e.. is the cable...and rj45 the connection on the end?

but i got 2 computers at this house.. and i have the net on my computer.. and was going to buy a cable to network both machines to the net.. through mine.. cos i dont turn it off at all..

i need to go downstairs.. and its at least 15 meters... so it'll cost 10£ for teh cat5e.. or.. something like... 30£ for the rj45....

thats why im wondeing...

anyone else know about them?

EDIT:right.. im going around in circles here.. i cant even understand what i just wrote.. so

this is the cable

Edited by dark

Cat5 is the type of cable. RJ-45 is is the connector on the end of the cable.

To Connect two computers directly to each other then you need a Crossover cable, if your sharing internet via ICS or thrid party software then the main computer needs to have two nic cards.

the cat5 is standard networking cable.

Rj-45 is the connector on the end of a cat5 cable.

cat5(x) where x stands for any letter (usually e or g) means that the cable is a fater variant of the cat5 cable, I'm not sure how many variants they have.

a crossover cable is used for direct connections, one computer to another computer, directly (also used for connecting two Xboxes).

my reccomendation is to use a router for networking, because then you can connect more things, you can use standard cat5 cable, and they can have firewalls in them.

:mrgreen: :beer:

Correct. Using a router will let either computer (or both) connect to the net even if the other pc is turned off. And as stated, it has a built in hardware firewall, which is much better then a software.

we converted some of our phonelines into network lines in our house. Here at least, they use cat5 for phones in new houses; so using a crimping tool and some faceplates from Radioshack we made everything work well. We use two routers hooked together (just so I can plug my PS2 in at the same time though)

wow guys!!! loads of help there...!!!

im looking in to the router idea.. instead of the crossover, due to the fact.. my younger bro bought a ps2 network adapter... and hes trying to get it running.. so if i can do it through the router! great stuff! he'll love me for it! (im going to need a router with multiple connections, yes no?)

what do i need? rj45 cable to the router (from the main computer) and then another super llong one to the to get the other computer downstairs? is that all... and for the ps2.... do i need anything spectacular.. or just the cable that came with and the network adapter?

thanks for this guys.. i understand a little more about networking from you lot...

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

;)

A router will always have multiple connections.

A few things you do need to consider though when purchasing your router

1) Make sure it has NAT (Network Address Translation)

2) Make sure it can do Port Forwarding

Once you get a router with NAT, you now have a hardware firewall operating. This means that any incoming (to you) ports are closed unless open specifically by you or a program which can control the router.

Port Forwarding allows you to open specific ports so that people can send packets of information to you. To put to another way: If you want to host a game of Counter Strike, Diablo II, Half-Life, UT etc, you're gonna need that Port Forwarding feature.

One other important note about the network cable. Make sure the length isn't too long. The longer the cable is, the weaker the signal gets, this translates to poor transmission speeds and loads of errors in packets.

again... the NOOB bit comes in... whoa?!

what am i looking for? cos i seen one that was cheap.. i dont fancy spending a fortune on the router... cos its my money thats going on it.. i need some money left for the partying at the end of the month...

i seen this one... and i thought that was ok.. if there any on that site that look good to you.. please dont hesitate to tell me..

EDIT: right.. so.. to play lan games.. which is one of the main things that i want to do... i need to find.. one with port forwarding???

i thought it could just be normal ... like the schools use... cos we play network games on them most of the time.... and they are using... many of these

is that what i need? cos if so.. ill buy that one .. cos its not a bad price....

Edited by dark