Sign in to follow this  
kd5

Immunize Feature In Spybot

I understand that it makes changes to settings and refers to a database list of stuff that won't get anywhere near your computer, kind of like SpywareBlaster. But does it make these changes then continue running in the background? Does it make the changes then not run again? Is it even worth it? -kd5-

Edited by kd5

Not sure I follow kd, is it the feature in TeaTimer "Use resident IE" that you are referring to?

Hawk :beer:

Edit: I just checked Spybot & there is an immunize feature available.

Edited by Hawk

Ya, you do have to iminunize,just checked and 87 items weren't

You often have to hit Immunize 2 or 3 times before it sorts everything.

:beer:

kd5,the Teatimer runs in the background so I leave it off,but the normal immunize feature is passive like Spywareblaster. :nospys:

So the Immunize feature has nothing to do with enabling SD Helper or Tea Timer and will not run in the background? If there's no downside to using Immunize, then I might just give it a try.

Thanks, -kd5-

Used it myself for a while now and don't have any problems with it at all kd5...no running in the background or using resource or anything of that nature... :tup:

All righty then... :) Thanks! :tup: -kd5-

1944 bad products I'm immunised against at the moment :woot:

1944 for me too... :P

So, if I enabled the Browser Helper (I'm assuming that's the SD Helper?) that's recommended once the system is immunized, then there would be a process running in the background at all times. I believe I'll leave that part of it alone and manually immunize each time there's an update, I spent a great deal of time disabling things from running at Startup, and Services running in the background, I don't believe I want to add something back even if the concept behind it is sound (?). -kd5-

I'm running Teatimer and the BHO but I still have to immunize after an update.

The SD Helper doesn't run as an extra process. It isn't an .exe file but a .dll, and is intergrated as a BHO (one of the good ones) into IE, so that it is only loaded into memory when IE is running (I think, sort of like the Google Toolbar, you know you have it, but it doesn't show up in the process list in Task Manager). This is how it shows up in a Hijackthis log,

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

Teatimer on the other had is a process and will show up in Task Manager as TeaTimer.exe.

Thanks Stormy. That's exactly what additional information I was looking for. So all in all, the Immunize feature will help protect you against the more commonly known nasties out there, but you need to manually update it with each product update. SD Helper runs as a Browser Helper Object to help protect you in real time against unwanted downloads, and Tea Timer runs as a Process to help protect your system from changes (from what I can gather). They certainly don't want to make it easy for you to find out about Tea Timer either within Spybots help files or at the site. Doing a Search for information at either place turned up 0 results. The very first update to Spybot 1.3 was a Tea Timer help file, I wonder where the hell it went? :rolleyes: -kd5-

1944 bad products I'm immunised against at the moment :woot:

I just updated from 1.2 to 1.3 and am current on the updates, but only show 1866 in my immunizations. What am I missing (Spybot-wise, that is :rolleyes: )?

Click check again. It sometimes takes a few goes.

Im with IntelGuy on this one, I only have 1866. I ran the imunize about 358 times and it isn't finding any new ones to add. Is this some sort of Secret Squirrel stuff that I am not allowed to have? :huh::o I thought I had the Peanut Clearance for it.

I noticed below the 'All known bad products are currently blocked' line it says 'You have JavaCools SpywareBlaster installed. SB will give you much more control on ActiveX protection.' could this be why I only have 1866?

Iytchy

I am showing 1944. Are you sure you are updated?

Try clicking on the Immmunize on left menu. Another window open & up in the top left with a green cross is Immunize again. Try clicking on that. Then check how may objects are immunized against.

I have Spyware Blaster & Guard installed Iytchy & still have 1944.

Just a thought. ;)

Edit: Just a thought but under where the check is for "All known products, etc" do you have a check in "Browser Helper, etc."? To do this you have to check enable below.

Edited by Hawk

I checked my Spybot, & mine says "1632 bad products are now blocked." I check for updates routinely most days, & tried several times today when I saw other people post that they had 1944 bad products blocked. Is there any way to tell what the right number is? Any clues why when I look for new updates I get the message that there are no newer updates, but my number is much lower than others? Thanks.

I'm running 2 machines with Spybot. One has 1944, the other 1788 :blink:

One has 1944, the other 1788 :blink:

Not sure what to make of that oatman. ;)

Might try this. Click on Immunize on main menu & when the next page opens, click on the green cross at the upper left & see if that changes anything.

Just a thought.

I've got two machines with different numbers blocked too.....I haven't even seen 1944 yet :blink:

I'm not running 'TeaTimer" on either machine. I don't suppose that makes any difference tho', does it?

Could it possibly be down to the individual machines in some way ?

I'm just wondering if there are certain componants or settings on some machines that offer certain vulnerability's compared to other machines ? just a long shot. :erm:

I'm not running 'TeaTimer" on either machine. I don't suppose that makes any difference tho', does it?

Shouldn't Jacee...I'm not running TeaTimer as well. :blink:

Nor am I... :huh: -kd5-