Change Mode

Cannot Delete File Off The Desktop

gordesky1

i tried everything even in task manager is there a program that can delete file that is in use this is a download manager that was for a game i tried it in dos but everytime i try too look for it pasts it up is there a cmd that i can see all the desktop files in dos?

are you using a program that uses a virtual drive... such as daemon tools? or clone cd?

if not...

im not sure if this might work or not.. but try renaming through dos and then delete it..

i know i could delete it in dos but when i go too desktop on dos and do dir it goes real fast and there about 30 or more icons lol but i want the cmd that lets me too do so i can see it like 1 row each across the screen so i can see it

Edited by gordesky1

Your origional post said 'delete from or off of desktop. The desktop only contains short cuts and therefore you must find the program itself or use a registry program to find it and delete the program itself. Otherwise it may become hidden and you will not be able to find it or delete it later .

The program would have been loaded to a program file and a shortcut placed on the desktop. This is why you cannot delete programs from the desktop, only the shortcut.

On some programs, if you delete the shortcut, you will receive an error message when you try to delete the program.

I've never seen a program installed loaded onto a desktop. Many times the program will be installed to hidden win progs or will first go to a temp file and be loaded to a specified folder.

I always change the location for anything I install to a folder that I create.

If you look at the properties of a prog on your desktop, it usually says shortcut to the .exe file.