Sign in to follow this  
ChrisR

This Is Ridiculous

If you are an employer and a member of your staff refuses to follow your instructions, would it be ok to give them a 'gentle' smack to enforce your position?

What a rediculous anology.

If you're the boss and the staff member refuses to do the job.

Walk straight up to them and say " You're fired, don't let the door hit you on the way out"...

It was supposed to be ridiculous. My point is still that you do not resort to smacking an adult because they do not follow your orders, so why do it to a defensless kid...cowardice? To me, smacking a kid is bullying and bullies are cowards.

I hope you would all agree that the ideal scenario would be to raise your child without ever having to 'smack' them and for them to turn out as fine, respectful adults. Many parents manage to do that. Those that resort to getting physical on a 2 year old are failed parents in comparison. Maybe we need to have compulsory 'parenting' classes introduced by the state for all wannabe moms and dads.

As for the argument that not all poisons and dangerous products should not be kept out of the reach of kiddies; maybe you would endorse leaving all windows and doors open too. Sure, there is a chance that the child may fall out or walk out into the path of a bus, but there is no point in being over-protective because they will never learn that some things are dangerous :blink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/348444.stm

As for the argument that not all poisons and dangerous products should not be kept out of the reach of kiddies; maybe you would endorse leaving all windows and doors open too. Sure, there is a chance that the child may fall out or walk out into the path of a bus, but there is no point in being over-protective because they will never learn that some things are dangerous

Who said not to keep poisons and dangerous products out of the reach of kids? I don't recall anyone saying that (if they did, then I stand corrected.) What I said was it's not necessary to put things up away from your kids, unless it happens to be some kind of cleaning fluids, lighters or matches. Children need to be taught to leave things alone (dangerous things like the above mentioned is just common sense).

But disciplining your child is not cowardice. That, as well, is common sense. To say someone is a failed parent because they choose to discipline their child is not a fair or accurate statement, and I take offense at that. Hugs instead of smacks is a nice idea in theory, but just not totally practical IMO. This is not to say that those parents who choose this method of child-rearing are not practical, just that I feel that method is not practical. Disciplining your child is not bullying them, there is a HUGE difference.

And yes I do agree a lot of wannabe parents should have to take parenting classes before they decide to procreate. The problem with most of these classes is that they're more often than not, taught by some yuppie that has no children and therefore no experience. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't take advice from some youngster that can't know what they're talking about because they've never been there.

SirT, you and I have butted heads on other matters before, and as always, I respect your opinion and your right to express it. But I don't agree with it.

-No junk food

-No TV

-Being locked inside of their room

-Yelling

-Chores

-Early bedtime

I can think of a lot more, but all I know is that spanking is never necessary.

I'm still waiting for this grand list of alternative disciplinary actions that can be taken.  :huh:

My grand list was withdrawal of privileges and talking to them. Even 2 year olds can be reasoned with. :)

My grand list was withdrawal of privileges and talking to them. Even 2 year olds can be reasoned with. :)

One problem, as I stated earlier, removing privellages is consider child abuse.

-No junk food

-No TV

-Yelling

-Chores

-Early bedtime

You're saying doing what I suggested is considered child abuse??

Is it?? :blink: Never heard of that before.

-No junk food

-No TV

-Yelling

-Chores

-Early bedtime

I've seen that crap done before, half the time the kids just laugh and run around like hellions. It is a joke if there is nothing to enforce it further. Spanking isn't a violent act of agression that some of you seem to think it is your intent isn't to injure the child rather give a reaction for their negative actions. When a kid touches a hot burner on a stove they immediately pull their hand away and start crying, I can almost guarentee you that the child will not do that again. A tanned #%^*! works much the same way, they do something wrong and they get a tanned #%^*! and in most cases they will only do it once. I would say during my whole childhood I was spanked less then 5 times but that is all it took.

The idea's you propose are mind games for the child, they do something wrong and then this just makes them more upset. They are sent to their room to cool off and all they do is sit there steaming mad about being sent there.

Even 2 year olds can be reasoned with. :)

Yep,,she does a right fine job of that with me!! :) v

-No junk food

-No TV

-Yelling

-Chores

-Early bedtime

According to child social services, removing any thing that is normally given to a child is abuse, including the things you have listed. As I stated in a previous post my uncle and aunt had to take classes about this. The only thing they were told are allowed is telling the kids to take a time out and talk to them, and give them hugs to let them know they are loved.

Good heavens!! A consequence to being naughty, is not child abuse to take a privilege away.....a privilege is earned with good behavior, not granted for bad behavior. :blink:

Good heavens!! A consequence to being naughty, is not child abuse to take a privilege away.....a privilege is earned with good behavior, not granted for bad behavior. :blink:

Well this is what PC activism has done. Their idea of what the Bible said by "spare the rod, spoil the child" means that, you do not spank them "spare the rod", you, instead give them hugs and other benefits "spoil the child". They told not only my uncle and aunt this, but, every couple with children who were sent to these classes.

-No junk food

-No TV

-Yelling

-Chores

-Early bedtime

According to child social services, removing any thing that is normally given to a child is abuse, including the things you have listed. As I stated in a previous post my uncle and aunt had to take classes about this. The only thing they were told are allowed is telling the kids to take a time out and talk to them, and give them hugs to let them know they are loved.
By those standards, spanking is also child abuse. So what point are you trying to make with that?

Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

What's this supposed to mean to a parent?

By those standards, spanking is also child abuse. So what point are you trying to make with that?

My point is how are parents supposed to discipline a child when anything negative is classified as abuse. Even all the non physical examples given are classified as abuse. As I said in a previous post here, all parental rights were taken away, yet, they are still held accountable for what their child does outside the home. How can a parent correct a child when every option is abuse?

I need to stay out of these debating threads my head is killing me. :(

SirT, you and I have butted heads on other matters before, and as always, I respect your opinion and your right to express it. But I don't agree with it.

Thanks DL :) I'm glad you don't take too much offence from my opinions as I can't think of anyone nicer to bang heads with :wub:

Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I have a better one :)

"A smack on the #%^*! keeps the devil away"

Bac I don't think it's a good idea to bring the Bible into the arguement. Most of us are familiar with the Churchs' attitude to discipline and children. Its well documented. Mainly by the tabloids.

Thanks DL :) I'm glad you don't take too much offence from my opinions as I can't think of anyone nicer to bang heads with :wub:

SirT, I can't think of too many people I'd rather bang heads with myself. You're a sweetie, even we don't always agree. ;)

:blink: Smacking him? That seems like an evil thing to do.

Well it was in the dryer!! Thankfully it didn't get turned on, but how the hell did he think to stick it in there?? At least I'm back on broadband now.

For him to get from the computer room to the laundry room/ dryer with the modem was just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long to leave a baby alone. You should be the one to be spanked!