Sign in to follow this  
Jakeofalltrades

The Truth About Smoking...

And sorry for the double post (if someone hasn't come between mine), but is it so bad that kids get exposed to cig smoke? Fachrissakes, just about anything causes cancer any more in this preservative-laden, artificially-fertilized, microwave world that we live in today. I don't think our grandparents made potato chips with ammonium bicarbonate and BHT, BHA, and all that crap. They ate red meat, medium rare, with eggs and bacon and none of that 2% milk BS. They used real butter, and probably never heard of tofu or yogurt.

I respect your views of things. If you were smoking and I entered the room, I would be the one stepping out. However, if you were to light up next to me, I wouldn't be obligated to move from my spot, you would have to show some respect and step away.

Dude I understand where you're comming from... and I agree to an extent. If it's possible I normally move away from the person smoking and just avoid interaction all together, however on one occassion I asked a guy if he'd mind putting out the ciggy or something and the stupid son of a #%^*! blew his smoke right in my face, I helped him quit smoking for at least one day. :angry:

I will not accept statistics as anyone with a knowledge of numbers can play the field and get just about any result they want just to prove their point. I agree that cigarettes are not healthy, however, I can not agree that it is the cause for all this stuff. Especially, with all the contaminates we subject ourselves to on the daily basis, just by opening our door and stepping outside. My mom knew someone who died of progressive lung cancer and she was a really old lady friend of my mom's mom. They found out that she did smoke for a short time in high school and tried to attribute something she did 40 some odd years ago to her death.

Statistics can never be a real gauge of cause and affect, since, its all about how you play with the numbers. Because, statistically speaking, this shouldnt even be debated on this forum, as going by statistics, all smokers should have died off by now.

LOL I didn't provide any statistics at all there, well said.

:woot:

A couple of observations from an ex-smoker (thirty years duration).

1. Smoking causes a number of very unpleasant, lingering respiratory problems. Pretty much proven, you can argue fine statistical points if you wish.

2. You gotta start young. If you're not hooked by age twenty, you're probably home free. I got started as a freshman with the little 4-ciggy free sample packs handed out in the cafeteria (you wouldn't know about those, we've made some progress).

3. Smoking is highly addictive; I've been off nicotine for about ten years. I still miss it, I loved it, and would be back to two packs a day in a week if I could.

4. Nagging doesn't help. It just makes the target defensive and resentful.

YOU CANNOT QUIT SMOKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE, ONLY FOR YOURSELF.

Quitting is possible, but it ain't easy. You've got to be able to say, "I cannot have another cigarette, ever again". If you cannot say this, you're not ready.

Err..."couple of points" = 4 poimts

Tracy are we being sarcastic today ??

you dug back that many pages in the thread and that is your only comment in this thread? :roller: Perhaps you need a new hobby ;)

actually, smoke is not a gas, it is particles.  and it doesn't spread, it disperses, there's a difference.

There is carbon monoxide in it... its a gas... every hear of global warming? Oh, yeah, one smoke... no big deal, but when everyone and their brother is lighting up... not so good. I see his point. Edited by lilbill08

Gotta agree with poru,s post completely. I smoked for almost 25 years and sometimes 2 or more packs a day. I now have asthma and quite smoking for 3 years and then started again for a few months. I,ve quite again. I wish the goverments would ban smoking as it,s only a delivery system for nicoteine anyway and a deadly one at that. I guess they rely on the taxes generated by tobaco too much though, but eventually i hope a ban will come.

I've "quit" several times. I don't like the smell. I don't like how the house smells. So, why do I keep smoking? :blink: Bad habit. Maybe someday I'll quit.......again... :blink:

Guest fragged one

There is carbon monoxide in it... its a gas... every hear of global warming? Oh, yeah, one smoke... no big deal, but when everyone and their brother is lighting up... not so good. I see his point.

global warming is a completely natural phenomenon that occurs regularly, just as global cooling does.

you've gotta kind of read between the propaganda that they teach you at school.

Smoking, tobacco that is, probably started with a useful practical purpose. The Native Americans found that green tobacco leaves laid on a bed of coals provided plenty of smoke to control mosquitos, gnats, no-see-ums, etc.

The pipe probably evolved as a portable means of the same.

Enter the "white man."

Leave it to him to turn something useful into something incredibly stupid. :blink::mrgreen:

In regards to...

"And sorry for the double post (if someone hasn't come between mine), but is it so bad that kids get exposed to cig smoke? Fachrissakes, just about anything causes cancer any more in this preservative-laden, artificially-fertilized, microwave world that we live in today. I don't think our grandparents made potato chips with ammonium bicarbonate and BHT, BHA, and all that crap. They ate red meat, medium rare, with eggs and bacon and none of that 2% milk BS. They used real butter, and probably never heard of tofu or yogurt."

I REALLY hope you don't have kids... :angry:

On another note, I have to agree with you on one thing, whole milk tastes alot better than the 2% crap! :lol:

Edited by Jakeofalltrades

I'm just curious, how is it that you people become addicted to cigarettes? The way I hear it, you don't even like it at first, but you keep it up until your body feels like it needs the nicotine. Is there any reason you people decided to smoke to begin with, were you just trying to impress someone?

It is the same as caffein only much stronger attraction. I go through withdrawl when I don't have caffein; migranes, stutter, tremors. Your body becomes dependent on the substance and when you don't have it the effects are quite harsh.

I've never smoked and I never will.

I simply do not understand it.

I've had conversations with people who smoke who tell me they would like to quit, but they can't because they are addicted.

They tell me, "Well you have to die sometime".

It's these same dolts who find out they have a smoking related cancer and want simpathy. I just can't do it. They made thier choice and smoking was more important than thier kids health or thiers.

There simply can't be any arguing that it's bad for you. If you do it, live with the consequences and die quietly, we really don't want to hear about it. Life can be depressing enough.

My dad smoked for 18 years and he quit cold turkey.

If he can do it why can't anyone else?

I don't know. I have never smoked tobacco, I never will. They say its so hard to quit, maybe they are right. Ill take their word for it and never start.

I've heard that caffeine is addictive, but I've drank soda my entire life and I can quit drinking it whenever I feel like it. (If fact, I should stop drinking soda, it's not doing any good for my acid reflux!) I asked my dad what it would take for him to quit smoking, and he said "I'll tell you what, you give me your computer and never use it again, and I'll quit smoking!" If I wasn't already building him a computer, I'd consider it! :mrgreen:

My girlfriend's dad was a smoker of 20 odd years, and he quit cold turkey. I think if a smoker is really determined to quit, they can, they just don't want to really try. They go back to thinking "What's the point?" and they make dumb excuses like "Well, we're all gonna die sometime, why not sooner than later?" and so forth. I think those people are weak, and I'm tired of hearing their excuses.

global warming is a completely natural phenomenon that occurs regularly, just as global cooling does.

you've gotta kind of read between the propaganda that they teach you at school.

lol, warming is going faster than the cooling frag... lots of ice just melted down in alaska and antartica... bad news for the polar bears.

Eee! I don't like to hear about the polar ice caps melting! I don't want Florida to be underwater! Stop using hair spray, stop painting and glossing, stop driving and smoking, I'm too young to die! :bawling:

I'm just curious, how is it that you people become addicted to cigarettes? The way I hear it, you don't even like it at first, but you keep it up until your body feels like it needs the nicotine. Is there any reason you people decided to smoke to begin with, were you just trying to impress someone?

It's really quite simple and doesn't require a PHD in something or other: monkey see, monkey do. The same way we take up good habbits (ie brushing our teeth), we take up bad ones.

When I was a young boy, it seemed like everyone smoked. Both my parents did. Half of every movie you might see consisited of lighting a cigarette, taking a deep drag, and finally saying something.

You didn't have parents, teachers, and just about everyone else telling you how bad smoking was.

The worst that was said about it was that it might cut your wind if you were an athlete.

All that started to change with the Surgeon General's report in about 1962 or so.

I don't know what kid's excuses are today. They certainly can't claim ignorance. But I suspect they start for the same reason.

Eee! I don't like to hear about the polar ice caps melting! I don't want Florida to be underwater! Stop using hair spray, stop painting and glossing, stop driving and smoking, I'm too young to die! :bawling:

heh, jake i have to say this your gonna die sometime down the road, as you worry to much like in this thread. :lol:

Heh heh, I get a little paranoid sometimes! :mrgreen: Seriously though, I don't think this world has much longer to live. It could be two thousand years from now, it could be ten years from now, all I know is it's not too far off. :(

Jake, if someone is wafting smoke right into your face, just walk away.

I can see how people who don't smoke don't want smoke around them, but people do smoke.

The idea of a "non-smoking" section in a restaurant is ridiculous, because smoke does spread. They should have two separate rooms, not sections for smoking and non.

But I hate militant anti-smokers, the ones who want to make smoking illegal. Yes, I hate you all. If you don't want to smoke, don't. But respect the rights of people who do. I have been smoking for 28 years now, I'm not going to quit because you or anyone like you doesn't like it. Yes, it's bad for me, but I don't care. I'd rather die 10 years from now from lung cancer than live 20 or 30 more years eating protein meals and following Atkins, only to die soiling myself from geezer ish like senility or Alzheimer's.

Why should I have to walk away, why shouldn't the smoker get in his car and kill himself with that sh!t? I can understand that smokers have the right to smoke (in some places, here) and I also understand that I have the right to walk away if I choose. Smokers don't really seem to understand that they can also move though, they don't have to mix with the non smokers and light up a :filtered:; they can go sit by themselves and do it!

All my aunt's and uncles smoke and I'm fine with that, if they get their jollies from sucking on a piece of paper full of sh!t...then whatever floats your boat. Nice enough people and I don't look down on them because they smoke, however I see no redeeming at all to smoking.

Here is a link of the half package images placed on all cigarettes in Canada, the ironic thing is when I sell smokes to a customer most of them do not want this package because the image is too graphic for them. LMFAOPosted Image

Here's the link for all the pictures >>>>>>LINK<<<<<<<