Sign in to follow this  
Jakeofalltrades

The Truth About Smoking...

That's interesting, I'll try to wear deodorant if we ever meet! ;)

Also, I hope the dealer did get caught. These jerks don't have any consideration for people's friends and family. James was a good guy, and he shouldn't have died like that. I'm sure the police force are doing plenty in their power to stop these dealers from sneaking around the streets to sell tainted dope, but in the mean time, people need to consider the consequences of purchasing illegal drugs to begin with.

Edited by Jakeofalltrades

if you don't want to be subjected to second hand smoke, then find a non-smoking restaurant. it should be up the the establishments, though, and not the government to allow or disallow smoking in their private place of business.

I'll be damned when the minority dictates to the majority on what to do. The smokers can find their own place to smoke and let us non-smokers eat in peace. I wouldn't shed a tear if smoking was banned in all public places, here they implimented strict legislation where minors cannot enter an establishment that chooses to cater to smoking... most places chose to kick the smokers out and make them family friendly establishments.

These smoking/non-smoking threads, to me, are rediculous. I'm sorry and all as I don't mean this in the way you may seem. It's great an all that you care enough to think of the possibilities. But look how many people die of heart attacks that are caused from things other than smoking. Probably close to the same amount if not more.

The way I look at it, you can only be determined to be healthy in one way and that's all the way. Proper dieting, exercise, proper hygiene, drug and alcohol free, stimulant free, and many more things. We kill ourselves doing so many different things yet cigarettes and alcohol are generally the only ones brought up. People are dying faster because of worrying about what others do and how they live their lives. People are dying faster because of other occurences in life they could have prevented. Who here drinks soda and eats snacks? I do. Who here runs and excercises every day? Not me. Who here thinks they are in perfect health and physical shape? None of ya.

I used to smoke and did it for 3 years. Hated it after a while and made a choice to quit not because of my hate for it but because of my health. Started waking up with bloody noses in the morning. Sure makes ya think about what all has happened or will happen in the future because of it but that's life.

That sounds very reasonable. When kids are exposed to these substances, they're more likely to take up the habit, so that's another thing to consider. I'm seriously on the verge of writing to the Votran service and telling them that if they don't ban smoking in their terminals, they're going to lose alot of customers including me and my non-smoking friends. I'll be a modern day Rosa Parks and start another bus boycott! :)

These smoking/non-smoking threads, to me, are rediculous. I'm sorry and all as I don't mean this in the way you may seem. It's great an all that you care enough to think of the possibilities. But look how many people die of heart attacks that are caused from things other than smoking. Probably close to the same amount if not more.

The way I look at it, you can only be determined to be healthy in one way and that's all the way. Proper dieting, exercise, proper hygiene, drug and alcohol free, stimulant free, and many more things. We kill ourselves doing so many different things yet cigarettes and alcohol are generally the only ones brought up. People are dying faster because of worrying about what others do and how they live their lives. People are dying faster because of other occurences in life they could have prevented. Who here drinks soda and eats snacks? I do. Who here runs and excercises every day? Not me. Who here thinks they are in perfect health and physical shape? None of ya.

I used to smoke and did it for 3 years. Hated it after a while and made a choice to quit not because of my hate for it but because of my health. Started waking up with bloody noses in the morning. Sure makes ya think about what all has happened or will happen in the future because of it but that's life.

When you shove a greasy burger down your throat the only person you are hurting is yourself, for the most part the same is true with alcohol (drunk driving is a gray area) but smoking poses serious health risks to others as well. I can certainly sympathize with your justification for having the right to smoke if you want, although just smoking in public shows a disregard for the safety for the rest of the public who choose not to smoke.

Never said ya were either. :) My point was just that people constantly talk about how bad smoking is. I get kind of tired of it because we all aren't idiots. 90% + of the world knows for a fact that smoking kills. They also know that high cholesterol levels can kill you as well.

I just think it would be better sometimes if people were left alone to do their own things and choose how they want to live or die without having to think of whether or not their ways are "approved" methods from others.

Newdles, I'm not forcing cheese burgers down people's throats to give them heart attacks, so they have no right to waft smoke in my face to give me lung cancer.

Thats true.... last I knew you couldn't get sick of smelling a hamburger (although you may very well can if you have some sort of "RARE" condition) but cigarette smoke is another thing..... carbon monoxide just aint good to breath in. The reason why its so dangerous (um heard of carbon monoxide poisoning?) Is it strips the blood cells of oxygen. Of course, no oxygen= no life..... so basically you die. Since theres very little carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke, there is still some. And it will strip you of oxygen, sometimes making it very difficult to breathe.

I should know. I'm extremely sensitive to cigarrette smoke. I just have an extremely hard time breathing..... and if im around it too long (5-10 minutes) i'll start to get a headache. All my outside family smokes, so going to visit can be hard at times.

If someone wants to smoke their life away, as much as I'd like to help them quit, it's their decision. If they die from lung cancer, I cannot show sympathy for them. Just don't expose other people to it, keep your smoke to yourself.

Cpuguru - Smoking in public is allowed. We all live here and share the same area. Yes, others that do smoke SHOULD be polite and not smoke too near non-smokers. However, go to New York City and walk somewhere outside in the downtown area. You'll never have a chance to smoke for your whole life if you don't smoke around others. It's just too crowded. Since people have the right to do what they wish with their bodies and since smoking is perfectly legal, they should be allowed to smoke. It's then the non smokers job to move away from the smoke. Sucks but that's life.

Everytime I ever smoked I made sure I didn't smoke around others that were unpleased about it. If we were at a party and I was smoking and you didn't like it, guess who left the room? Not me. Same goes for the bar. If you're in there drinking, you're in there killing yourself so you sure shouldn't complain about people smoking up the room.

I do have sympathy for people that don't smoke. If I was in public then I never smoked unless I had plenty of room away from the non-smokers. When I was driving and had others that didn't smoke then I didn't smoke even if it was my car or not. I never smoked in my house nor anyone elses either. So overall I was respectful about it but not in designated areas for smokers. I also never smoked in restaurants.

My point was just that people constantly talk about how bad smoking is. I get kind of tired of it because we all aren't idiots. 90% + of the world knows for a fact that smoking kills. They also know that high cholesterol levels can kill you as well.

I just think it would be better sometimes if people were left alone to do their own things and choose how they want to live or die without having to think of whether or not their ways are "approved" methods from others.

:tup: I'll stay out of this one.

Sorry volt. I agree that smokers should take into effect the health risks and feelings of non-smokers. It's the same way around though. Take truck drivers for example. They have to suffer a hell of alot just to drive trucks. They give and give and give because they have to. It's not fair to them to wait 5 minutes at a light because of cars that won't let him make a turn. Cars should do their best to ensure truckers get hte same respect on the road. Same thing goes for non-smokers. True, it's not fair that they have to do some extra work to move away but that's life.

We all live here in this world and share the area so there has to be a compromise. The way it is now, no matter what, it's seeming to be heading to where smokers shouldn't be allowed to smoke within 5 feet of a building or non-smoking human. That isn't fair to them though. Sucks though that there isn't an easy solution to the issue.

I think alcohol and smoking is mentioned most simplyt because you affect the people around you .....

Drinking super high sugary soda won't rot the teeth of someone next to you. Nor will downing a super size fries cause the person next to you to go down and die of a heart attack. but someone who smokes and is next to you has the risk of developing the same problems of the smoker (breathing problems as well as disease)

Alcohol is mentioned because there are some many of those who get drunk, drive and kill others. Sometimes they kill a few other people but their own life is spared. Or not even that..... howabout those who go on drunken rages? Damages to property and again hurting others.

Again...... I don't give a damn if you drink or smoke. I'd appreciate you not getting near me while you smoke. Hell I might even move if its necessary.

Just a thought

I respect your views of things. If you were smoking and I entered the room, I would be the one stepping out. However, if you were to light up next to me, I wouldn't be obligated to move from my spot, you would have to show some respect and step away.

I highly dispise that. I had NEVER did that on purpose. Might have done it a few times on accident but only because I didn't know there was a person next to me and then I would apologize and move away. As for people coming in to where I would smoke, if you EVER asked me once to put out the cigarette then I would have more than willingly put it out or moved.

Most smokers are very polite. They know it's nasty and don't intend to endanger others. However, non-smokers are even more rude but in other ways. True they don't blow smoke in your face but a non-smoker won't leave a room when asked as easily as a smoker would.

The string just has to give in both ways from both sides or it won't ever work well. There just isn't an easy way for this.

the thing about it is this,, the person in front of you or the back or side of you if they light a cig in public like outside. they don't know if that person smokes or not, if the person doesn't like it they usually move away but if i knew someone that didn't smoke no, i wouldn't smoke in there house car but outside thats a different thing. i usually tell them i gonna have a smoke and if they follow, and i gave fair warning then i'm not gonna stop lighting a cig. anyone in this world anyone will die sometime or another, hell you can just fall and get killed if you hit your head the right way its all facts of life. i'm not gonna get on someone that has some other bad habit, and i don't like and get on there backs for it. it's there buissness if they do whatever, i can always go somewhere else thats my choice and whatever that other person it's there own choosing right. :huh:

Edited by mohawkwarrior

I think you misread my post. I said I respect the fact that you're considerate enough to not light up next to someone deliberately. Trust me, if I invaded your space while you were smoking, I would step away.

Also, your comment on smokers leaving the rooms easier if asked, that's not entirely true. You've never met my brother, he's extremely inconsiderate when smoking! (That's him though, he's always inconsiderate! :mrgreen: )

I don't dislike smokers but man some have this disgusting habit of blowing smoke into the faces of others. At a football game one time I did something I was not too proud of to a smoker. It was in a blatantly non-smoking area but still she stood there puffing away, I was waiting in concession and I turned around and have a huge puff of smoke blown into my face. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a pretty reasonable guy but have a very short fuse. So I spat at her :( didn't hit her but man was I ever #%^*! at her. Not my proudest moment but that is how absolutely livid I am when smokers blow smoke in my face.

I cannot and will not compromise with my safety or the safety with others in this situation. If you smoke you damnwell do it outside. If you have to goto the bathroom you don't just unleash hell wherever you want, you wait and find an appropriate situation to do so. So why would smoking be any different I don't want to walk in your #%^*!, so why would I want to breath in your toxins? You are the minority so unless more of the population smokes or smokers realize that they are the minority we will have to continue to push them.

I think we can all agree that non-smokers dislike when smokers blow smoke towards them. It p_sses me off! But unlike Newdles I find many smokers not so willing to accomodate us non smokers. It seems they feel that they are already being screwed somehow, and why should they have to move if their space is already so limited.

New smoking bans went into place here a couple years ago, it limits smokers to specified areas in resteraunts and no smoking around minors. Very logical ban I think, it still angers me to no end when I see a mom or dad in the car with their kids, puffing away on a smoke. The kid has no choice but to smoke also...it is disgusting.

If you wanna kill yourself, then I'm happy for you; but don't make everyone else around you miserable too.

I've been on both ends. I smoked for 3 years but it's been nearly 2 now since I've smoked. From my own personal experience, smokers are well more than willing to move if asked nicely instead of getting a demand.

Jake, if someone is wafting smoke right into your face, just walk away.

I can see how people who don't smoke don't want smoke around them, but people do smoke.

The idea of a "non-smoking" section in a restaurant is ridiculous, because smoke does spread. They should have two separate rooms, not sections for smoking and non.

But I hate militant anti-smokers, the ones who want to make smoking illegal. Yes, I hate you all. If you don't want to smoke, don't. But respect the rights of people who do. I have been smoking for 28 years now, I'm not going to quit because you or anyone like you doesn't like it. Yes, it's bad for me, but I don't care. I'd rather die 10 years from now from lung cancer than live 20 or 30 more years eating protein meals and following Atkins, only to die soiling myself from geezer ish like senility or Alzheimer's.