Sign in to follow this  
Jakeofalltrades

The Truth About Smoking...

Don't get me wrong, I do not have anything against you or your views. However, when I go to a bar or restaurant that permits smoking and I am in the designated area, I will not tolerate someone coming in and sitting there, turn around and demand that I put out my cigarette because it offends them.

There are plenty of decent restaurants out there that do not allow smoking. What few public places left that allow it should not be forced or have their customers forced to put out a cigarette because someone goes in and finds it offensive/intrusive upon their person. If they feel that way, then, in my opinion, they should find somewhere else to go eat/drink.

Guest fragged one

Don't get me wrong, I do not have anything against you or your views. However, when I go to a bar or restaurant that permits smoking and I am in the designated area, I will not tolerate someone coming in and sitting there, turn around and demand that I put out my cigarette because it offends them.

There are plenty of decent restaurants out there that do not allow smoking. What few public places left that allow it should not be forced or have their customers forced to put out a cigarette because someone goes in and finds it offensive/intrusive upon their person. If they feel that way, then, in my opinion, they should find somewhere else to go eat/drink.

:tup::tup:

Guest fragged one

I don't hate smokers, I hate the inconsiderate jackasses who want to come up next to me and light up. My parents smoke, but at least they don't smoke near me.

then it sounds to me your problem isn't smoking, but rather your social ineptitude with dealing with people in your personal space.

I don't hate smokers, I hate the inconsiderate jackasses who want to come up next to me and light up. My parents smoke, but at least they don't smoke near me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, when I'm in an area such as a bus stop or any such area where people group together I do ask if anyone minds. If someone does I either move ten feet away or wait until the person leaves. However, as I stated in the above post, when I'm somewhere that allows it, I will not let anyone dictate to me whether I can or cant light one up.

I will say that if i'm walking down the sidewalk, I will have a cigarette when I get the urge to have one. Whether people find it offensive/intrusive at the time I light it, as it really shouldnt be an issue since my stop was to just light it.

Edited by aeromaestro

No, I have no problem with social interaction. My 'personal space' goes no further than staying away from smoke. I have plenty of friends, smokers and non-smokers, but my friends who do smoke know not to smoke near me.

Statistics aren't what we should be focusing on, although certain points should be acknowledged. What happens in the real world is what you should be focusing on, and I've seen enough to make a statement.

Sir T have you quit smoking or was that ":filtered: run to Amsterdam" a fairy tale?

:shifty::P

Smoker or non smoker, my opinion would be the same :) Picking boogers is disgusting also - don't mean I don't do it :shifty:

"...Smoking bans are the biggest challenge we have ever faced. Quit rate goes frm 5% to 21% when smokers work in nonsmoking environments."

Source:

Phillip Morris document

Secondhand smoke is the third leading cause of preventable death in the country, killing 53,000 nonsmokers in the U.S. each year. It has been shown to cause lung cancer, nasal cancer and heart disease in nonsmokers. For every eight smokers who die from using tobacco products, one nonsmoker is killed by secondhand smoke.

WebMD (www.webmd.com)...Doctors Blast Ads for 'Reduced Carcinogen' Cigarette...Beautiful people relax in gorgeous surroundings, cigarettes grasped in their strong, young hands. They're just like other cigarette ads that glamorize smoking -- except these ads sell "Reduced Carcinogens." Vector Tobacco's Omni brand cigarettes don't exactly claim to be safer. Accompanying some of the ads is an open letter from Vector CEO Bennett S. LeBow that plainly states, "Let me be perfectly clear -- there is no such thing as a safe cigarette and we do not encourage anyone to smoke." The letter notes that Omni "has not yet been proven to reduce health risks."

This is really interesting

New Surgeon General's Report Expands List of Diseases Caused by Smoking

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Press Release

Thursday, May 27, 2004

The Executive Summary in PDF

Very small synopsis

1. Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body,

causing many diseases and reducing the health of

smokers in general.

2. Quitting smoking has immediate as well as longterm

benefits, reducing risks for diseases caused

by smoking and improving health in general.

3. Smoking cigarettes with lower machine-measured

yields of tar and nicotine provides no clear benefit

to health.

4. The list of diseases caused by smoking has been

expanded to include abdominal aortic aneurysm,

acute myeloid leukemia, cataract, cervical cancer,

kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer, pneumonia, periodontitis,

and stomach cancer.

Edited by Ed Downing

Sir T have you quit smoking or was that ":filtered: run to Amsterdam" a fairy tale?

:shifty:  :P

Smoker or non smoker, my opinion would be the same :) Picking boogers is disgusting also - don't mean I don't do it :shifty:
:roller: :help:

slink yourself over here with the rest of us who are supposed to die quietly and not say a word about it :P

"...Smoking bans are the biggest challenge we have ever faced. Quit rate goes frm 5% to 21% when smokers work in nonsmoking environments."

Source:

Phillip Morris document

This is really interesting

New Surgeon General's Report Expands List of Diseases Caused by Smoking

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Press Release

Thursday, May 27, 2004

The Executive Summary in PDF

Very small synopsis

1. Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body,

causing many diseases and reducing the health of

smokers in general.

2. Quitting smoking has immediate as well as longterm

benefits, reducing risks for diseases caused

by smoking and improving health in general.

3. Smoking cigarettes with lower machine-measured

yields of tar and nicotine provides no clear benefit

to health.

4. The list of diseases caused by smoking has been

expanded to include abdominal aortic aneurysm,

acute myeloid leukemia, cataract, cervical cancer,

kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer, pneumonia, periodontitis,

and stomach cancer.

I will not accept statistics as anyone with a knowledge of numbers can play the field and get just about any result they want just to prove their point. I agree that cigarettes are not healthy, however, I can not agree that it is the cause for all this stuff. Especially, with all the contaminates we subject ourselves to on the daily basis, just by opening our door and stepping outside. My mom knew someone who died of progressive lung cancer and she was a really old lady friend of my mom's mom. They found out that she did smoke for a short time in high school and tried to attribute something she did 40 some odd years ago to her death.

Statistics can never be a real gauge of cause and affect, since, its all about how you play with the numbers. Because, statistically speaking, this shouldnt even be debated on this forum, as going by statistics, all smokers should have died off by now.

The statistics disagree with you ;)

The statistics recently state that 135,000-165,000 die from smoking each year in the U.S. (unless they have done more number playing since I last checked). This number has been the norm used (approximately), since the late '70s. So, let's say for arguements sake, we use 1977 as a starting point and use the mid-range number of 150000 deaths. So, from 1977 to 2004, that means, 4,050,000 people have died from smoking just in that time frame. If I remember correctly there are only about 50,000 a year who pick up the habit. Now, you take that and back progress the figures, there would be an extremely large negative growth. Which means more people are dying from smoking than there are smokers to cover the loss.

Jakeofalltrades, I have too agree with you. People, including me for a long while, don't seem to get the point.

I am now and have been for about 30 years a heavy smoker. Gradually, my attitude has changed. I am happy to say that neither of my 2 grown children smoke. It was a classic case of "do as I say, not as I do."

Smoking is entirely a learned social behavior and serves absolutely no practical purpose whatsoever.

I freely admit that I am a hopeless drug addict (nicotine). The sooner we all face facts, the sooner this ridiculous social habbit dies out the better.

Your children should be proud of you John! :)

They are. But they'd be a lot more so if I quit. Tried all known methods and failed. I am still waiting for a viable brain surgery alternative or "death by natural causes", whichever comes first. :mrgreen:

Yeah, it sure is John. I know it's a habit I wish I never started. Fortunately, so far, I have not suffered from it, which is surprising since I have a significantly deminished lung capacity. However, I have not given up on quitting. I am still fighting it and slowly getting myself to fewer cigarettes. :mrgreen:

I can make a pack last me 3 days now, which is a far cry from the three pack a day habit I did have before I could no longer work. :blink:

Yeah, it sure is John. I know it's a habit I wish I never started. Fortunately, so far, I have not suffered from it, which is surprising since I have a significantly deminished lung capacity. However, I have not given up on quitting. I am still fighting it and slowly getting myself to fewer cigarettes. :mrgreen:

I can make a pack last me 3 days now, which is a far cry from the three pack a day habit I did have before I could no longer work. :blink:

Good for you aeromaestro! :tup: For me, it's more like a pack every 3 hours than 3 days. If I had all the $$ that I have sent up in smoke in my life, I would be a wealthy man. What a waste.

Thanks, John, I, too, was looking at the money literally gone up in smoke. Then, I took a close look at my medical situation which is in bad enough shape without me adding to it by daring my body to get something that is stemmed from smoking.

i don't hate smokers, I hate the inconsiderate jackasses who want to come up next to me and light up. My parents smoke, but at least they don't smoke near me.

i hate the very same inconsiderate jackass people who sit next to me on the train/bus/plain ,any public place eating their greasy stinking fast food

i could have a nut allergy and die

and the same inconsiderate jackass people who overdose on perfume/fragrance use

i could have an asthmatic attack and die

and the same inconsiderate jackass fat people who take up half my seat on the train/tube/bus

i could have a panic attack and die

and the same inconsiderate jackass people who dont use deodorant

i cant think of one for this but b.o stinks..... :P

just some examples of how different things effect different people , we all have our pet peeves and hates

based on our own lifes experiences

in the uk ,smoking related illnesses cost the nhs( national health service that is free for everyone) around £1-2 billion* a year

smokers pay into the nhs ( in tobacco tax) around £7-8 billion*

ban all smoking related products and a tax increase of around 5p* in the £ would be needed

* rough estimates from my financial days ....lol

November, 1999

I went to my friends house to watch movies. I was offered a joint, and I refused it, knowing what kind of damage it could cause. We stayed in his mom's room watching movies until late evening. One of my friend's was smoking a joint and started complaining about a headache, so we helped him into his room to lie down. He started jerking around like a dying bug, with foam pouring from his mouth. One of my friend's started laughing thinking it was a joke. He suddenly stopped moving and breathing. We called his mom and an ambulance came and took him. The next day, we heard of his passing from a chemical in the marijuana.

that one interests me ....in the uk the police would ( probably ) have held an investigation into his death and charged the person who supplied the " mouth foaming " substance that killed him ,and the uk press are often very quick to pick up on any drug related deaths ....is the law different in the usa about these kind of deaths ....and do you know if the person that they bought the joint/s from got charged

take care :)