Change Mode

AVG catches it. But considering that is an old test file, I sort of expected it to. That's been around since 1998 and any AV software that doesn't catch it is is serious need of an update.

Well the reason I asked is that my AVG missed the double.zip. Just updated it too, not that that would make any difference to a test file.

Edited by moon

When you say AVG "missed" it, what are you doing?

Here's what I did. I clicked on the unzipped file to download it, and AVG spotted it as a virus. (Even though we know it's not.) Then I clicked on the two zips and downloaded them, and AVG did not notice that the files contained the file it just spotted as a virus before downloading them in both cases. But doing a manual scan (right click on the files, "Scan with AVG") did in both cases.

This is odd in a way though, because AVG has detected viruses in zip files when I download from the Internet in some cases, but not in others. So as a result of that, I got into the habit of manually scanning all downloaded files before I open them.

When I attempted to email one of the zip files to myself as suggested, AVG spotted it, refused to send it, and sent the file to the virus vault. So i assume it would also catch it if it was incoming.

I sent the double.zip to myself by Incredimail ( which allowed me to do it) and received it via OE. AVG didn't pick it up.

Previously, AVG had seen all three on a scan and recognises each as a 'virus' when pointed to them directly.

I have Av and update it as often as there are updates

I also do several on line scans and run spybot and adware several tines a week. :mrgreen:

You can never be to careful about scanning :P

One thing I neglected to mention is that I use Eudora for Email... I don't know if that makes any difference in this case... But I gave up using OE ages ago due to the security risks.