Sign in to follow this  
jackpot316

What Antivirus Is Everyone Using?

PC-cillen 2004 on all my computers,IMO it is the best :mrgreen::tup:

Uh oh, OneCool restarted a thread that began in May. Since my vote for Norton 2003 Professional at the time, I changed to AVG and then changed again to AntiVir. :unsure:

This one keeps coming back ;)

I wonder if it's possible to set up a poll where members can check a box for what AV and firewall they use.

:beer:

I just read back and see I hadn't posted in this thread before now.

I use AntiVir http://www.free-av.com/

I previously used AVG but it let in some viruses and I see I'm not the only one not convinced by AVG's popularity

Previously from Vortex

Hmm,AVG.. I do not know why everyone likes it. It is not that great of a program at all. It does not have the technology to remove certain viruses that are commonly spread now. Ones that integrate themselves into other files like .ini . Its scanning methods are very bypassable by trojans and viruses take a look at the exploits found for it. AVG is free, and it may seem that you never ever get a virus once you get AVG. Do you know why? Because AVG does not even know they are there. I tested this, one of my friends up the road has AVG free version and their computer is all hijacked they have 100s of viruses just by looking at it. I ran a AVG scan and it found not one infected file. Yes it is updated. So I downloaded Stinger it cleaned up a lot,ad-aware,spybot and some online scans. The online scans found many,many viruses. AVG does not work. It is a terribly written program. You may think its free and great. But you should still be careful. Run a lot of online scans.

:beer:

I was using AVG but it let in a few viruses. I wasn't until I switched to Avast that I found out AVG free only scans Outlook mail (default).

I ended up dumping Avast because it slowed my system down worse than any other AV I ever used.

AVG is back on my machine...testing out the pro version to see if it's worth the $$$.

A short time ago, someone posted a link to an exe file from AVG that would let you set up another mail client to be scanned. If you want it but can't find it, let me know.

Guest billiegail

I have used AVG free and like it, but I was never able to update it. I always had to uninstall it and then re-install in order to keep current. Anyone know why?

Thanks

Help me please somebody....something has invaded my pc....Lots of popups and constantly getting redirected to error assistant page...some kind of browser bug or something. What is the best way to correct and best spy ware program to use....I was looking at Aluria or Acronis Privacy Expert....Spyware doctor....I ran the test and looks like i have lots of crap implanted. Suggestions anyone?? :blink: Thanks.

Hello bellaluca.. please check out this post.. http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1163

In the first post (from volt) he has the links to download Ad-aware and Spybot.. These are free programs that I would try first before I spent $$$ on one. Try them out and let us know how they worked for you. I would also suggest in the future that you start a new thread when your question is off the current thread. Your post may get passed by.. :)

thanks for your quick reply ocdave67. I did as instructed and spybot s&d found some things and corrected them. My system is running smoother and with much less problems...i still get an occasional pop up and some new ones actually, right after, more explicit ones. And occasionally I get the redirected incredifind browser. I did a free scan with spyware doctor and it said i still have approx. 65 problems, with 3 being very dangerous. What should i do next???Thanks again for your help :help: :cheers:

:D Hello Bellaluca,

I also use spyware doctor. When it finds problems I throw them into "quarantine", then I delete them. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, though! :mrgreen:

I also use other spyware/adware programs (just to make sure)

Here are the links:

xscan

ad-aware

Good Luck!

:five:

Hello again bellaluca.. Glad to hear that spybot cleaned up your machine somewhat. I suggest that you download ad-aware as well. They are good programs to use together (I dont mean scan with both at same time, I mean scan with one then the other!!) Ad-aware will find somethings that spybot wont and vice-versa.. Now before you scan with ad-aware follow this tip from Jacee..

Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:

check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:

Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Press "Scan Now"

- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"

- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"

- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"

- Select the active partition which is usually C:

Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...

The reason you make the changes in ad-aware is to make the program check every file on your computer.. The smart scan option is really not that smart and may miss some items on your computer.. If this does not solve your problem then please post a new thread and much smarter forum members will help you out.. And the advice to use the xscan link from rockinrobin cant hurt either... oh and by the way you may find when doing the above mentioned changes to ad-aware that they may be set already.. but double check to make sure they are as above.. However the "Use Custom scanning option" will not be checked.. make sure you do that one (very important!!) Good luck!! :) P.S. also make sure you update ad-aware even after the new download.. Updating is very important and ad-aware has new updates often!!

Edited by ocdave67

*0oo, thanks for crediting me with the Ad-aware tip ocdave67, but I found it on the web...and copied it. I saved it and use it all the time....I would like to thank whomever I stole it from :lol:

I had to credit you Jacee.. It was your post I cut and pasted.. oh well  :lol:

You will find the 'Ad-aware quote' soon (and no one minds if you use it) :tup::mrgreen:

I use the 2003 Norton internet security with AV and firewall. I am really happy with Norton, but was concerned about the 300 trojan probes a day that Norton was blocking, so I installed a Belkin 4 port router with a NAT firewall. I am only mentioning the router, because when I did a shields up test I found the printer and file sharing port on the Belkin was locked open, you cannot close it. Something to look for if you want to be bullet proof with a hardware firewall.

Jacee, they say, "There is no limit to what a person can accomplish, if they do not fear sharing the credit." You are great. :beer: