Sign in to follow this  
Salo35

Rant

KEEP IT CIVIL PEOPLE, I KNOW THE MODS WILL WATCH THIS ONE ;)

I'd like to start by mentioning how much I respect the American and Brits around here, alot of very compansionate people and they usually have very intelligent and insightful comments...I look forward to responses in this thread. (Not to mention my Northern counter-parts)

Well, I was looking through the board this afternoon and happened upon Angela's "Speech", which was unfortunately closed already. I don't want to start that thread up again but I would like to comment on it. She specifically mentioned that Canada should try not to :censored: off America for once, or something along that lines. All I have to say to that and speaking for some Canadians, probally not all, is that Canada is a generally peaceful nation, our military is obviously quite small compared to a nation's such as the USA's yet you expect us to join an unjustified war. The Canadian government did the right thing not sending troops to Iraq, Bush's claim was based on 20 year old intelligence that Iraq has WMD. Had Bush called it as it really is (no one really knows what this is, it doesn't appear to be oil like some first thought), then maybe Canada would have taken more initiative and sent troops. Canada was waiting for international justifaction for a war to ensue, but the USA would not wait for Canada's support...it makes me suspicious of why the USA would rush into Iraq so quickly after 20 years of relatively no action.

I find ignorance sometimes seeps out of some people when they post here, "Drop Dead" directed towards those nations that did not help the USA in Iraq. I am almost embarrassed when I think of those who applauded that comment. Canada and Mexico rely on the Americans for alot of goods, but think about the supplies the USA requires from just Canada....fresh water and oil being the main two. Both those are essential to a nation's livelihood, by wishing Canada death (which is unfeasible for a non-living landmass anyways) it would lead to a slow crippling of the American way of life. As every gallon of oil and water is used they would realize how essential our nation is. This is turning into a my country is better than your country thing and that sucks, but that is the way modern relations would have us be.

I'm not trying to prove anything or provoke anyone in particular, I am just stating my opinion on a few things that I found disturbing.

*** Thank a Canadian, British, French, Russian soldier for being able to read this in any language other than German

Edited by Salo35

I view threads like this one that are based on another thread that has been closed, as an attempt to continue the thread that was closed. And my inintial thought is to close this thread as well. But I won't do that this time. I will use this thread as a test to see if anyone is paying attention to the warnings that have been issued and leave it open for now.

However, I'm giving everyone a fair warning that if this thread does get closed the person or persons responsible for getting it closed will be suspended for a week. I don't know how I could possibly make it any clearer than has already been stated 1000 times. This forum has rules. If you can not or will not follow them you will be suspended or banned. I'm a pretty tolerant guy, and so are most if not all of the members of the forum staff, and to put it bluntly we are getting fed up with people ignoring the rules.

Ok, there's my tame rant.

Tame rant

It's very embarrassing to me that some Americans feel that anybody that doesn't blindly follow us is some how bad, weak or just disloyal. Every country has to follow it's own path and that is the path it's people hopefully want it to follow. Of course I don't speak for every American just for myself who happens to be an independent thinker with a strong sense of history, that loves my country but doesn't always like it's policies.

*AX I hope this is tame enough*

Rant:

Wife's having to do all the work. We work all day..come home and still have to work...what's with that??

Men who can't find anything!! Honey, where's my keys, shoes, hat, belt etc.. I don't know..I didn't where them... BUT, guess who can find them!! Yep, it's the woman.

:blank: ohhh, that's not the type of ranting you mean? Sorry... :)

Edited by lindalou

Salo 35 - an excellent post :tup:

I too think along the same lines that - each of us is different and has our own beliefs and have a right to express these. I'm happier when debate takes the place of argument and when debators acknowledge the others points. The world is a diverse place and made up of many faiths religions and beliefs: some we may agree with - others we may not. The biggest problem I find with the political, war or religious threads we have in the PIT is, that some folks have to always be right. Now that breaks the "respect others viewpoints" ruling.

Ax is right when he says we all need to refresh our knowledge of the rules every now and again but, if it works for one of us - then it has to work for us all. It is pretty demoralising to see people time and time again breaking the rules and nothing seems to happen :mrsgreen: However, when those of us who are more forgiving loose patience and spark off, we seem to carry the burden or guilt more for having infringed those rules. I do not know if I contributed to the other thread being closed - and if I was then I take my share of the blame: but some days the worms have to turn and bite back.

I respect all the mods on the site, Ax and Volt in particular - as they are the ones I've had most contact with or learned the most from. I know they all work hard to try and make this site something to be real proud of - and they do! But I still think there is a need to introduce something like a yellow card/red card system to deal with posters who continuosly (and to my mind intentionally) post stuff that is guaranteed to inflame others. And then hide behind the report a violition button or even a pm to the mods - as has happened in many an instance recently.

The "think before posting" credo applies to us all - especially at the stage when creating a new post. If we are going to be politically correct, then it has to be right across the board.

There it is then - my little rant.

:blushing:

B)

Ax I give it less than a week

I give it less than 2 days. :mrgreen:

EDIT: My bad for thinking this. Nice to see we can get along.

So here is another rant.

People that jump to conclusions. :mrgreen: Who me? :rolleyes:

Edited by KRAM

i give it less than the next five minutes:

angela did not write the posted thread, angela read it,agreed with it, and posted it.

EVERYONE here has an opinion. all are valid, all are worthy, all are welcome.

angela :angry:

Still early, home safe and sound with my cup of coffee. I have nothing to rant about. I'll wait untill somtime after 2:00. I'll be ranting by then. Haven't read the thread in question and not going to look for it. It was probably political with sweeping statements and twisted logic. I always agree with Ax on matters of the Pit. Volt and Mouse on matters of socialization and human interaction. Bruce on matters of politics and keeping it real. I gotta go get this stuff off my nose. I'll be back later. EDIT. I never agree with Angela and enjoy her posts. :mrgreen:

Edited by shogan191

*** Thank a Canadian, British, French, Russian soldier for being able to read this in any language other than German

I don't know of any Canadian soldiers here at the Pit (I know a couple personsally), so I'll thank a fellow Canuck instead.

Nice post Salo.

Edit-I haven't been up long enough to have a rant. :)

Edited by dwparsnip

Absolutely agree with this Angela.

However, a caveat or two:-

Some opinions (eg. racist, sexist) are definitely not welcome or valid.

Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone can verbalise that opinion in the context of a rational debate without attacking others.

Differing opinions are the lifeblood of politics and debate. There is very rarely a black and white issue, merely plenty of shades of grey. This place is fantastic as it lets you into the minds of completely different people from completely different parts of the world, with completely different opinions on things.

The only thing that we all need to have in common, is respect for each other and for the rules of the forum.

Ax is right when he says we all need to refresh our knowledge of the rules every now and again but, if it works for one of us - then it has to work for us all.   It is pretty demoralising to see people time and time again breaking the rules and nothing seems to happen :mrsgreen:    

I have stated countless times that I believe that the rules of this forum apply equally to everyone. And I mean everyone, including myself.

And I also believe that if someone is repeatedly breaking the rules, they should be suspended. But due to the fact that we do not want to embarrass people, when someone is suspended, nobody will know about it unless they tell other people about it themselves. If someone is banned, you can tell that just by looking at their posts. It will say Banned in the member group. But when someone is suspended, you can't tell. There is no Suspended group.

So don't think that just because you can't see something has been done, that nothing has been done. There are a lot of things done here that regular members can't see.

There are a lot of things done here that regular members can't see.

I knew it! :angry:

Ax has been using his Jedi mind tricks on us!!

Ax subtly waves hand... "These aren't the droids you're looking for..."

:lol:

He's not a Jedi. He's a sourcorer, look at that big noisy wand he waves around. :tup: Those wand's when used properly have been known to mesmerize huge numbers of people. :shifty:

Posted Image

A cantankerous muse with a very short fuse

Has of late been my chief inspiration.

I've devoted this page to my smoldering rage

At the state of the world and the nation.

For when tempers have flared and the sabers are bared

And the world situation is dicey,

When deficit spending shows no sign of ending,

When gasoline's ever more pricey,

When Phelps is devoting his life to promoting

A horribly twisted morality,

When Joe Millionaire can get put on the air

And it's somehow passed off as "reality,"

When a couple of :filtered: get their profits and kicks

By recruiting the homeless for "fights,"

When cures are at hand but the research is banned

For the sake of an embryo's rights,

When psychopaths, losers, and substance-abusers

Get famous by schmoozing with Springer,

When the infamous Jacko insists he's not wacko,

When Britney can pass for a singer,

When Enron execs get phenomenal checks

While the grunts get a song and a dance,

When bin Laden has flown, when Raelians clone,

It's impossible NOT to write rants!!!

Edited by thehulk18

Ax, I'm not saying nothing is done, I'm saying nothing seems to be done.

But I take your point - that things we know nothing about have happened and it is up to those concerned to watch their posts in the future - that's cool B)

Jammin -

The only thing that we all need to have in common, is respect for each other and for the rules of the forum.

Amen to that - and always remembering respect is a two way street ;)

Angela -

angela did not write the posted thread, angela read it,agreed with it, and posted it.

I never said that you did write it. :blink: My point was simply this: we know you are a patriot (highly commendable) we know which party you support (also commendable that you are so open in that) we know you are an activist (extremely commendable and probably more than most of us are) I hoped I had made it clear I was not out to 'diss' you in any way - I only asked why you felt the need to keep reminding us so often?

If you felt put upon by anything I wrote - then I'm sorry that you took it that way but, feel that perhaps - because of your involvement with the party - you may have been oversensitive to my question - I don't know?

I will say it loud and clear Angela - I HAVE NO BEEF WITH YOU PERSONALLY - but if you post something then you have to expect comments and questions related to that theme

(Angela Posted on May 19 2004, 06:57 AM).

Now I don't think anything I have written here breaches those same ideals - but I'm more than happy to be corrected if I am.

Open debate or questioning, is not the same thing as criticism or outright disrespect. ;):mrgreen:

B)B)

He's not a Jedi. He's a sourcorer, look at that big noisy wand he waves around. :tup: Those wand's when used properly have been known to mesmerize huge numbers of people. :shifty:

I will listen to Ax..... I will listen to Ax..... I will listen to Ax...... :snooze::P

Most of my rants are with people who seem to get their driver's licenses out of a crackerjack box.

No turn signals... :angry: (they're there for a REASON)

Cell Phones... :angry: (put the damned phone down and DRIVE)

Light turns red, but 5 more people just HAVE to get through... :rolleyes:

Driving slower in the fast lane than the people driving in the slow lane... :angry:

People who will drive 45 in a 35mph zone, but drive 35 in a 45mph zone... :rollie:

Oh, and one other rant that has nothing to do with driving:

People who take 13 items to a 10 item fast checkout, then stand there for 10 minutes writing a check... :angry:

OK, I'm done.......I think... :P -kd5-

Edited by kd5

I second that, kd5. Here's two to add to the rant on driving:

People who don't pay attention and the light turns green :(

Dump trucks that drive in the LEFT lane during rush hour :angry:

Here's my rant:

Dieting for weeks on end, eating salad, fruit, chicken, fish and vegetables, and I get on the scale and I've gained weight :( Gee, do you think it could be the Krispy Kreme's??

Teenagers with orange hair and mulitple face and body piercings in the grocery store who can't count back change....

Waitresses who flaunt their bodies at my husband even though I'm the one paying the bill.....

Men who drive into parked cars because they can't keep their eyes off pretty women.......

And, finally, Teachers who give ridiculously hard math problems to 3rd graders :angry:

Aah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me rant!!