Change Mode

Stop Supporting Ethnic Cleansing

moon

For a brief look at it , it looks like an extension of the de arabisation of the jewish faith , by cutting out one of the roots of Judaism , because it does not fit with the present vision of where they see that their faith is at .....and find the Arabs embarrassing at the very least ....

Didn't read it like that Tankus...

It is Lewis' assertion, as it was for David Ben-Gurion many years earlier, that the Oriental influence would ultimately drag Israel down into the horrifying abyss of, in Ben-Gurion's words, an "unnatural" Levantinism. Israel, according to this logic, must be a representative outpost of Western civilization in a brutal and

barbaric region of culturally inferior Arabs. Arriving in the state of Israel from the Arab world in the 1940's and 50's, Sephardim underwent a forced process of de-Arabization, losing their native tongue, Arabic, which ultimately led to a complete abandonment of the

deep ties they once had with the rich civilization of the Middle East. This cultural de-Arabization has left the Sephardim in Israel bereft of their own nativity and led to massive social and economic inequalities that have not been fully redressed by successive Israeli

governments.

Thought he was actually espousing against that Tankus :erm:

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was against it , but is it what happened.....?

Maybe I read it wrong ...... Interesting that the political parties have a sectarianism divide too , never given it much thought before ...

Selection of letters to the BBC supporting both sides in the conflict which I found interesting.

This is collective punishment of the entire population against all international laws. But will Israel listen to anyone?

The last one being the most poignant imo.

United Nations Condemns Israeli action ( 14-0)

The United Nations Security Council has adopted a resolution condemning Israel's killing of civilians in the Gaza Strip.

The 14-0 vote came after at least 10 Palestinians were killed and 60 wounded when Israeli troops opened fire on protesters in the town of Rafah.

That's to be expected as the UN is generally swift to denounce war crimes. This is quite unexpected though-

The US, which usually vetoes anti-Israeli resolutions, abstained from the vote.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3730709.stm

Although an abstention can still be read as support it falls short of the usual veto. The world's press, free countries and individuals should continue to highlight the paradox of America's support for a criminal regime. The majority of Israelis want to withdraw and that is where our support should be directed.

One 2, I've just gone to great lengths demonstrating that Israel, the majority of Israelis, want to leave Palestine. Do you mean that you still support the minority Israeli Right that wants to stay there ?

Let's just arm all the people in the middle east

As opposed to just arming Israel - that might even up the odds a bit.

The Rafah atrocity. Middle-East press, including Israel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3727813.stm

The government says that the Palestinians themselves are responsible for the hardship inflicted on the civilian population and that its hands committed no foul deed... But the fact is that civilians are not fleeing from Palestinian thugs, but from us; it is not because of the Palestinian bullies that they are packing their chattels and leaving their homes, but because of us. A military operation that takes into consideration wide-scale harm to civilians is illegitimate.

Yossi Sarid in Israel's Yediot Aharonot

Edited by moon

Israel withdraws from Rafah areas.

Rafah's mortuary, he adds, has overflowed and many of the dead have had to be stored in freezers in different parts of town.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3734581.stm

Not one cent of my money went towards financing this. How about yours ?

Posted Image

Edited by moon

Nothing in the region is right, neither side can win. The killing is pointless and the bloodshed could have been spared with negotiations. It is a very sad situation. Some days it is very hard to be pro life and pro humanitaian when you see both sides not doing anything to help the cause. You can call Sharon a terrorist and a murderer, and justly labelled... their is always another side though, Sharon is a murderer and probably a very bad man but behind the Palestinian effort there is an equally bad man calling the shots.

We all do it, only present the points that support our side of the story, just remember for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction... in politics the exact same is proven true. I will not debate that Sharon is a good man, he is a desperate man doing anything to remain in power. And along the way he has done some very bad things in retalliation as have the Palestinians. This situation is a giant black eye for civilized society and lets hope it serves a lesson in the future.

I agree, both sides are to blame for this war, same as most other wars. Ideological differences or territorial conflict errupts into juvenile fighting and mindless killing, the entire situation blows for everyone involved. Sounds like Palestine is getting the :censored: end of the stick as far as land disputes go, therefore out of desperation they attack Israel. In retaliation Israel attacks Palestine. An endless cycle unless someone budges...doesn't likely now but it'll happen, eventually.

I dont want people from other countrys telling the US what to do and Im not going to do it to someone else.

Sorry 12 I must have got the wrong end of the stick. Anyway not in the mood for debating today.

i agree with Israel in there actions so far.why shouldn't they react to bombers and attacks on there land.!

the problem is when a crack pot bomber walks to a buzy market and kill jews or blows up a school bus

and kills CHILDREN thats seen as ok by the media but when Israel flys in with a chopper 's

there the bully..

its about time Israel had a strong leader ...............that will make their enemy's pay for their actions..

and if the world disagrees so be it ...

i for one am all for it .

how many jews have to die before the world See's the real problem here?

i think enough died in the 40's..lets not feel bad for Palestine. if they would stop the terror this would go away..

how many jews have to die before the world See's the real problem here?

I think perhaps these threads get too long and folk just add to them without absorbing any previous content.

Regardless of history or religion, Israel is an artifiicial state created by the West in defense of its colonial past, its Middle Eastern oil interests, its guilt concerning the Holocaust and the importance of the Jewish vote in America. Arab displacement, resentment and humiliation cannot be overstated under such circumstances.

I

Regardless of history or religion, Israel is an artifiicial state created by the West in defense of its colonial past, its Middle Eastern oil interests, its guilt concerning the Holocaust and the importance of the Jewish vote in America. Arab displacement, resentment and humiliation cannot be overstated under such circumstances.

I

I guess thats one opinion :mrsgreen: You have a right to have that opinion Edited by hftmrock

I

every state in the middle east is artificial created for those same reasons but somehow your going to recognize their views and demands and "right to exist"

Israel exists now, has a right to exist, will always exist, and as soon as she withdraws her troops from Palestine we can all concentrate on criminalising those that think otherwise.

Posted Image

Edited by moon

I would like Israel's government to spare the lives of the Palestinian civilians that it is systematically murdering. That does not mean that I oppose Israel's right to exist. There is no reason to turn this into a binary situation, where we must either support Israel's actions in totality or relegate them to dust.

There is an important difference between the fighting though. Israel is a nation doing these acts in an organized way on orders of its government. The Palestinians who are blowing themselves up in Israel are not part of some Palestinian national army. They are pawns of a small group of extremists. Israel's actions against Palestinians only drives more hearts, minds, and pawns onto the side of those extremists. Even if Israel's actions yield tactical victories against individual terrorists--albeit with dozens of innocent Palestinians as collateral damage--I can't help but think they are losing the long-term war.