Change Mode

Lost Space On Hard Drive

I have a 3 hard drive and the 3rd one is 120 gig, I only show 21 gig in files and 26 gig free space, mostly downloaded MP3 books and DVDs, I am missing about 70 gig of storage space and cant find it. I have checked with everything I can think of to see where it went bu so far no go. Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks

right click my computer go to manage.. then go to disk management! see if you have any unallocated memory! :welcome:

Do you have it hooked up through a controller card?

Edited by merlin_

Tried that, dosnt say anything about unallocated memory. It is hooked up to the motherboard. Started out with 120 gig, but I download a lot of large files and just thought I had a lot of stuff still on it. Cleaned it up and downloaded some utilities to check how big the directorys on it were and found out I have about 75 gig missing. I have a directory called system volume information that shows as empty but it wont let me open it or delete it. I dont remember seeing a directory with that name on the other hard drives.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sounds like your system restore is hogging up the hard disk space. Post a pit test. If it says 120 gb then you have 120 gig, your system volume looks like 0 bytes but it has many many more, probably 70 gig or so. Check system restore settings in the control panel.

Edited by Web Police

Description Your Results

Common Name Windows XP SP1

Full Version Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1

First Install Wed Apr 24 2002

Free Resources 90%

Fonts Installed 297

Windows Scripting Version 5.6.0.6626

CPU Load 0%

Running ProgramsMalicious or poorly written running programs are a common cause of poor performance and system instability. We strongly recommend that you use an antivirus program such as Panda and a spyware scanner such as Pest Patrol on a regular basis. Click on a file name to see more information about it.

Legend: Virus Spyware/Adware Optional Required No data

File Name Description

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe Realplayer adware

C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE Norton SpeedDisk

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe MSN Messenger

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe Office XP speech

C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe NVIDIA driver helper

C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\INSTAN~1.EXE

C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\ACDSee.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared ... \symlcsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\GetDiz\getdiz.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Broadband Networking\MSBNTray.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Gh ... \GhostStartTrayApp.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Password Manager\AcctMgr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\GEARSEC.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hpzstatx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE (Various)

C:\WINDOWS\System32\rmctrl.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe

G:\Programs\NEWSBIN PRO 4\nbpro.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE Norton Recycle Bin

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe Symantec products

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe Symantec products

C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe Diskeeper

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe Norton Antivirus

C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe Microsoft DRM

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe Windows Update

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe Print spooler

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Internet Explorer

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Windows Explorer

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe Local Security Authority

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe Service control process

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Service host process

Internet ConfigurationDescription Your Results

Bandwidth Down 1353 Kbits/sec

Bandwidth Up 77 Kbits/sec

Average Ping 48 ms

Ping Loss 0%

TCP Receive Window 64240

External IP Address 68.187.50.156

Internal IP Address 192.168.2.5

Browser MSIE 6.0; FunWebProducts; .NET CLR 1.1.4322

IE current cache 4 MB

IE max cache 210 MB

The Bandwidth tests measure the Internet bandwidth between your computer and PC Pitstop's servers. In general, if your bandwidth result is at least 85% of the rated connection speed, you're receiving good throughput (though shared connections may affect this, too).

Average Ping measures the round-trip time for a packet to travel from the PC being tested to PC Pitstop's web site and back; lower numbers indicate better performance. Ping times under 150ms are typical of T1, DSL, or cable modems. Consistent ping times of more than 500ms should only be seen in connections that span continents (e.g., USA to Europe) and/or are linked by satellite. Ping losses usually indicate serious Internet congestion.

Internet performance can be erratic for many different reasons, so you can't expect to get maximum bandwidth and ping performance every time you test. You should test several times and at different times of the day to get the most accurate picture of your connection speed. To repeat only our Bandwidth test and get more information, plus tips for improving performance, click here. For additional testing of your browser configuration and Internet connection, we recommend BrowserTune.

Security ConfigurationDescription Your Results

ActiveX Security Issues None

IE Restricted Zone Permissions None

Main BoardDescription Your Results

Brand/Model

Type Desktop

Serial Number Not available

BIOS IntelR 09/21/01

ProcessorDescription Your Results

Brand/Model Intel Pentium 4

Nominal Clock Speed 1594 MHz

Measured Clock Speed 1600 MHz

CPU Load 0%

Speed Rating 2803 (100% of 7494 similar)

Memory ConfigurationDescription Results

RAM installed 512 MB

Windows RAM 512 MB

Speed Rating 3152 MB/s (100% of 7494 similar)

Memory Tip

On virtually any system, memory is the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade, especially if you currently have 256MB or less. Installing memory is a snap, it just works and your PC is faster. PC World has put together a step-by-step guide if you need help.

With prices so low lately I've purchased a lot of memory, and all of it has been from Crucial. Their prices beat the competition and they currently have free shipping.

-- Rob Cheng, CEO, PC PitstopSpeed rating is measured in megabytes per second. The percentage indicates the performance of this system compared to systems in our database with a similar CPU and clock speed; the number of similar systems is also shown. For example, a score of 50% would indicate this system had half the performance of comparable systems; 200% would indicate twice the performance. A "normal" number is 100% plus or minus about 15%.

Drive LettersThese are drive letters associated with hard disk drives. This list does not include drive letters for floppy disks or other removable media such as CD-ROM, DVD, Zip or Jaz drives.

Description Drive C Drive D Drive G

Partition format FAT32 FAT32 NTFS

Cluster size 32 KB 32 KB 4 KB

Drive label ONE TWO Three

Size 38152 MB 57225 MB 117239 MB

Free space 14379 MB (38%) 4369 MB (8%) 26017 MB (22%)

Junk files 180 MB (0%) 0 MB (0%) 0 MB (0%)

Data fragmentation 45% Not tested Not tested

File fragmentation 2% Not tested Not tested

Uncached speed 4 MB/s (142%) 6 MB/s (213%) 2 MB/s (71%)

Percentages shown for free space and junk files (temporary files, browser cache, Recycle Bin files) represent the size relative to the total disk capacity. A disk with 50% free space is half-full (or half-empty, if you're an optimist).

Our full tests only perform disk health checking on the C drive. We recommend that you check the health of your other drives using our Disk Health page.

Data fragmentation measures the percentage of data on the disk that is contained in fragmented files. File fragmentation is the percentage of files on the disk that are fragmented. Some disk optimization programs such as Win98 Disk Defragmenter intentionally fragment files to place them in the best position to ensure quick program loading, so the fragmentation measures may be non-zero even after running a disk optimizer. For more details see our Disk Health page.

Cached and uncached speed is measured in megabytes per second (MB/s). When a percentage is shown for cached and uncached speed, it compares the performance of the drive with those of systems in our database with the same processor and clock speed. (Our database currently has 7494 similar systems.) A rating of 200% means a disk is twice the performance of similar systems, 50% means it's half the performance. Cached disk speed generally measures the efficiency of the system's processor and memory system, not the performance of the hard disk. Uncached speed is most affected by the physical hard disk and the disk interface.

Disk ControllersHere are the hard disk controllers that we have detected on your system:

Vendor Product

Primary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Intel Intel® 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller

CD/DVD DrivesHere are the CD and DVD drives that we have detected on your system:

Model Type Max Read Speed Max Write Speed

CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD1243E DVD-ROM 7040 KB/s (40X) N/A

DVDRW IDE1008 DVD-RW 11080 KB/s (63X) 5540 KB/s (31X)

Video BoardDescription Your Results

Brand/Model NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Resolution 1024x768 pixels

Colors 16 million

DirectX version 5.3.0000000.900 built by: DIRECTX

OpenGL version 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Acceleration options Enabled

Performance 136.91 MP/s (124% of 149 similar)

PC Pitstop's video performance performs a basic test of your system's graphics capabilities and reports the result in millions of pixels displayed per second (MP/s). The percentage indicates the performance of this system compared to systems in our database with a similar CPU, clock speed, and video board. For example, a score of 50% would indicate this system had half the performance of comparable systems; 200% would indicate twice the performance. Determining "normal" performance can be difficult, there can be wide differences due to video drivers even on the same video board.

MonitorsDescription

Monitor Default Monitor

Max. Horizontal Resolution 0 pixels

Max. Vertical Resolution 0 pixels

Horizontal Size 0 cm

Vertical Size 0 cm

Viewable Diagonal Size 0 inch

Manufacture Year 0

Manufacture Week 0

Serial Number 0

is there any way you can just copy and psate the link! We can get to the hardware details in the test as well! Pus it looks like your using fat 32! This may be the problem right there! Is there a problem with your w's tonight Web? :lol:

Edited by merlin_

Looks to me like the last drive G is formated as NTFS seems to me that I remember that XP has a single partition size limit that it can see (that's one suggestion), suggestion 2. if you just deleted the files they aren't truely gone off the drive until something overwrites them.

Your running 45% defragmentation on your primary drive if your other drives are in that bad a state it wonder anything is seen on any drive. Defrag defrag and defrag again all three drives. What type of configuration are you runing those 3 drives (SATA, IDE)

Lol yes merlin my double u key on my lappy doesn't vvork. although I am german I don't pronounce double u's vvith a "v". Merlin is right, your fat32 may not be reporting your hard disk space correctly. You may vvant to run a disk check also. :) Post a pit test as it is easier to diagnose vvhen vve can see vvhat vvorks and vvhat doesn't. :blink:

i've had a problem like this once before. my drive wasn't working to smooth, so i ran checkdisc (the equivelant of it) and told it to mark off the bad sectors. after it was done, my drive ran ok, but i had lost about half the drives space..... in my case, it was ir-reversable

One, my recycle bin is emptyed daily, two: I have never heard of xp having a small limit on partitions, 3 my other drives are defragged regulary, four: two drives are ide and the g drive is <darn, just got off work and cant remember what my g drive is, have more and more of these old people moments>. Five: I have run all of nortons disk utilities and it finds nothing wrong with it. and six: I didnt tell it to mark off the bad sectors, plus the drive is only a couple months old. And lastly I am not sure what you want me to send a link of?

Whew, lots and lots of ideas, thanks a lot.

gifmaster,

This may not be the problem but it worked for me. Everytime you delete something it just goes into the recycle bin,then when you empty that it goes into free space to be "overwritten" by even more data. So it is not actually deleted. Well I had a security program called Steganos Security Suite, and it could delete all traces of tracks and data and things like that. And erase yes actually ERASE your deleted data from the recycle bin. You can download the free trial and just use it to do this and it takes a long long time so do it over night.... Get the program >Here< ,It has a lot more features but its data deletion is really good. I used like 8GB and after that was done it said I had only 5GB used. So deleted data is still on your hard drive after you delete it and it takes up space. That is the only program that I know of anyway that deletes the deleted data. Good luck let me know how it goes.

Have a nice day,

Logan :)