Sign in to follow this  
pcpitstop

Dialup

:help: I don't get this. I have dialup, and I expect to get slower speeds. I normally get 36, 38, 44,

or 52kbps at most. Slower speeds are expected during daytime hours when internet traffic is higher, and higher speeds during the very late or very early hours. And each time I would connect, the speeds would vary. Last couple of weeks I'm getting 26.4 ALL THE TIME never higher never lower. I called my ISP They said "no problems here" Got plenty of bandwith" "call you phone company " phone company says "We're not your ISP, and there's nothing wrong with the lines" Called ISP AGAIN & they say Maybe there's a digital concentrator on your line. What the heck is that? So I google it and I end up with sites with content

regarding DSL wich according to my phone company is not available in my area STILL.

Any one have any idea why this is happening and maybe how to fix it . I have no idea what's going on, I thought maybe someone out there may have experienced something similar.

Post a test lets see what your ping times are :mrgreen:

post a test, mayb theres adware/spyware using up memory stopping u from connecting as fast as u usually do,

also, there could be interference of your phone line. and if im right, the highest possible connection speed with dail up is 53.3 kbps?

Sorry guys I meant to post a test but I forgot. my test I use ad aware 6 frequently, it finds stuff pretty regularly but it's removed and speeds never change. What's weird is that I haven't made any changes to anything regarding my modem or connection speed max or anything!! Speeds are consistantly the same 26.4

And as for interference, there is no static or anything.I don't know what else to check.

Average Ping 275 ms <<<<<< your ping is very high it should be lower then that, it might be noise on the line or server congestion.

Thanks for your reply mohawkwarrior. Could there be noise on the line that I can't hear? There's no static or anything. Also I've unplugged all other phones to see if it changed, but it didn't. I wonder if it could be even an electrical interference? I think I'll have the phone company come out to check lines. Also I've bugged my isp enough for them to offer to test my computer if I bring it in.

I don't know if this will be much help to you, but you may want to try it.

Take your pc to a friends house that you know is not having the slow connect speed issue. Make sure you use the same modem cable that your pc uses at home. If the problem disappears, you know it's not an issue with your pc or it's modem. If it does disappear, when you get home, disconnect all telephones from the phone jacks, then try. If your connect speed is back to normal, reconnect your phones, one by one, until the problem appears. If you still have the issue with all other phones disconnected, try connecting to ytour isp using a phone number that has a different prefix than the one you're now using (xxx-xxxx the first three I'm calling a prefix). This eliminates a possible issue with the switch at the switching station. You are left with two possibilities and it depends on the sleuthing you have done as to which road to take.

1. All seems normal at your friend's house.

a. You have an internal wiring issue at your home.

b. The telephone company has an issue with their wiring.

2. Issue persists at friends house.

a. You have a software issue with your pc.

b. You have a hardware issue with the modem.

At any point, if issue is still existing at friends house couldn't it still be the ISP? And if I take up the ISP's offer to test it there would it be realistic since it's right there at their servers? and not 5 miles away?

I sort of tried disconnecting the phones, but just in the room the puter is in. I better do all of them now before disconnecting the whole computer and moving it. THANKS, I've got lot's to do.

If I get this problem resolved I'll post what happened so you guys will know. LATER :P

UMMMM how about trying the suggested fixes on the auto fix page first? :mrgreen:

Crusader has given you a well thought out routine for eliminating potential

problems but first do as Bear has suggested and do the recommended auto fixes. You might be surprized! Also just curious but would your telephone line, the feeder line from outside to inside the building, is it underground? Have you had a lot of rain? ;)

I merely gave those suggestions as a manner in which to isolate the true problem. It could be a lot of things causing his slow connect speed. The whole point is to determine whether he has a software issue, a hardware issue, or a line issue. The autofix is an assumption that the issue is software in nature. I make no such assumption. I merely give a plan to determine exactly where the issue is originating from.

pcpitstop, what isp are you using?? ....back when i was using dialup (netzero), whenever i had slow connection speeds the first thing i would do is try a different access number. there should be something in the settings that shows the avaliable access numbers in your area....try a different one. sometimes the numbers are overloaded or under repair and changing to a different one can make a big difference.

g/l

Edited by JackeL

Boy I've been gone a while, I thought I'd let you all know what I have done so far.

First I wrestled with the repair dept of the phone company just to get them down here. They ran tests, checked the pole and did find old, loose, corroded, connections. Guess what,?? it made no change. This really sucks. I don't even want to use the internet anymore , it's a chore to get anything accomplished.

To answer you questions, I have a local ISP whom I've been with for years. Never had problems before. I haven't tried a different number yet cause when I talked to them about this problem they asked me what number are you using, I told them, and they said nothing other than "ok that's the right one." They did have an outage for the longest time I could ever remember, but this occurred long after my problem began. And no the feeder line is above ground.

Still no one has answered my question about bringing my computer to the isp. Would it prove whether or not , they have bandwidth issues if it's being tested right at the servers? And I live five miles away.??? WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS QUESTION???? I'll keep you abreast when I know more.

Hi,

After all the help you have received this is a total different direction:

You mentioned that you have Adaware and run it regularly.....

Have you got spybot: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Have you got Hijackthis : http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

(Introduction) : http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

If not download, Update & run them & post us a Hijacklog to look at.

Do not delete anything from the hijack list most things here will be needed for the machine to run.

When you run Spybot delete what it finds.

Spybot will offer to make a registry backup, it is recommended that you do.

Reboot your system before you run Adaware, as Spybot & Adaware conflict if not done.

Wizzkid

Edited by wizzkid

I was thinking on the same lines as wizzkid. Im not sure what slserv.exe is. Anyone? :blushing:

Nevermind found it at answersthatwork.com

Edited by Zowie

Would this have anything to do with it??

According to Windows, the devices and/or drivers listed below are not enabled:

Intel® PRO/1000 CT Network Connection [problem code 22]

1394 Net Adapter [problem code 22]

A disabled device does not always indicate an error, but is a good place to start if you are having problems with a device.

Hey thanks for your input guys. No I haven't got those other programs downloaded yet. I'll do that, it will take a while though. Just noticed the additional post kylie, um, those devices are not used, they are disabled. I have no network at this time and 1394 is also, since it's not being used, however I'll have to check on that one (1394) cause I have 2 ports, one on my sound card and one on the front of my system shouldn't be disabled maybe? The one that's disabled is ? the net adapter I'm assuming is on the front ?

These items were disabled to reserve resources. Maybe I did bad?

since you had said something about the connections being corroded and what not, makes me wonder if its like that all the way to the CO, and its not on your end. i would just keep on them to fix it, even though you might not win the battle its worth a try.

Holy :filtered: check this out, I was making a comparison of my past PCpistop tests, and specifically the internet tests/ ping tests and I noticed that the ping loss was 0 on my recent test (which according to the explaination of ping loss here says ) "ping loss is normally an indication of internet congestion"

When I compare that to a previous test when connection speeds were normal ping loss was 80?!!!

Now during the time I was copying and pasting this info on (notepad) my computer just shut off...

and rebooted making strange noises, and no display. I could hear the computer running , but no display.

Then I pushed the power button to restart thinking it would automatically run a scandisk but it didn't.

it gave the black screen with boot choices. ? and saying if this happened blahblah., start windows normally, go to last known good configuration.? didn't finish reading, and it started on it's own. THIS FREAKED ME OUT,,, I'M STILL SHAKING. No other electrical devices shut off, it's not a power failure. Now I've read someone else posted a problem where their computer would shut off too. Someone asked are your fans working properly?

Now When I first got this system in November 2003, one of the fans made a weird noise. like there was an obstruction, I looked in the case, didn't see any wires or anything in the way. It went away eventually,sort of. Called Gateway they said no biggie. I HATE THEM. ... but I gotta call them.

I HATE GATEWAY, I HATE GATEWAY, I HATE GATEWAY. I just got off the phone with a tech, First thing they say is it's probably a virus. No troubleshooting Lazy :filtered:. I was on this site when it happened. He told me a pop up could shut it down. oooooookkkkkkk. I suppose.

All I know is I gotta figure out what's going on. I don't know if the fan, suddenly slow connection speeds, and computer shutting down on it's own, are symptoms of what's yet to come.

I'm going to start a new thread called:

Help reading error messages in event viewer.

After rebooting I checked it out (event viewer) found many re-occuring errors. I'm hoping someone could help me to understand. Also I will be searching microsofts knowledge base for assistance. I'm seriously thinking of taking a course on this stuff.

use ad aware 6 frequently, it finds stuff pretty regularly but it's removed and speeds never change

Install and update this and you won't get that Ad aware stuff any more its like a Adware/spyware/malware firewall.

SpywareBlaster

EDIT: Don't let me misslead you you can still use Ad Aware to just not as frequently.

Edited by shadowfox

Had the same prob last fall. Speed down to 14.4 no apparent reason. I used the pitstop autofix for improving broadband speed (even though I was using dial-up) and it fixed the problem. This was after a month of calls, emails and you name it. It might be woth a shot :shifty:

A quick check for noise on your phone line is to just dial one digit and listen for any snap ,crackles or pops...or radio stations. If possible, its best to use a dedicated line directly from your Phone Co's Network Interface (the box in your basement or attached to your house with all the red and green wires inside)directly to your pc.

Edited by Jim2005

JIM2005,

I did have the phone company check the lines and they did replace the box on the pole. There's no noticeable noise on the line. Did you're connection ALWAYS maintain this same speed? EVERYTIME you logged onto the internet? Did you ever find out why it happened?

I'm a little apprehensive about downloading the autofix. It specifically states NOT to use it for dialup.

Unless you used the other link at the bottom of the page, that takes you to another site? I gotta look at it again.

I did the autofix as a last resort and it worked......I looked at my notes and I was getting speeds of 12.2 and 12.4 kbps download, and a bit faster upload on a consistent basis. This was after on my isp's advice to replace my modem...didn't have to :lol: You can set a restore point if you have XP and try the fix and if it does not work go back. I hope it works for you...I was pulling my hair out at the time.

By the way since then I either get 49.2 or 50.6 every time, plus it made my ping time go from 320 to 178.

Edited by Jim2005

Holy Crap! That's Great! I was thinking of doing the restore, like you said. I still don't get what happened. My speeds would vary from 28 to 52 before. It's sooooo weird. I'm gonna give it a shot. So you say you used the link for Broadband internet speeds?

This is quoted from my last tests

The faster your connection and the higher your connection's latency, the bigger the receive buffer needs to be. Dial-up modem users do not generally benefit from adjusting this buffer size because their connection is so slow.

Your receive buffer size is currently at the system default.

Edited by pcpitstop