Atto HD Scores Start Here.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your drive looks right for a single Seagate, but one question...what does this mean in your sig?

Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM In Single Drive Raid

:blink: Edited by Xtreme_Computing

lol...well it's not really raid.

i found out how to use my onboard raid controller with 1 drive :

http://msihq.designlab.info/thread.php?threadid=292

before using the raid controller : http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=9AL9LWDCLWUSU0TE (DMA MODE 3)

using the raid controller : click techexpress link down below. (DMA MODE 5)

just found out about this at 1 in the morning and decided to try it. :lol:

[edit] i can't get my 18% defragmentation level to go away. i keep defragging but it stays the same...how do i make it go away???

Edited by phillyphilzphilz

Hey guys, I've been on and off the pit with this problem of mine with my RAID 0 array. Even though the array hasn't given me any problems, it still doesn't seem up to it's peak performance.....and if it's something that bugs me to no end, it's something not running like it should be. Guess it's good that I'm a technician that works on machinery. :lol:

Anyways, My problem: According to the pit tests (compared to others I/O scoring) and testing with ATTO, my RAID array is acting wierd. I have done just about everything you could do to fix the problem except changing the mobo, the RAID controller card, and replacing the hard drives.

What I have done: Changed stripe size 3 times (8k, 16k, 32k), changed cluster size (4k, 8k, 16k, 32k), moved the card around on the PCI slots (now sitting in slot 3), removed the other PCI card (audigy soundcard), reloaded windows xp 3 times, messed around with the PAM management software, disabled the serial and parallel ports (to give more IRQ positions to windows), changed the IRQ for the controller card, changed the IDE cables, updated the BIOS on the mobo (which now the USB hookups for front ports are now dead. just lovely), and checked to see if the controller card's BIOS was up-to-date. Nothing, and I mean nothing has improved my I/O of the RAID array. I'm about one step from dismantling the array and just use two separate drives and call the $90 I spent on the RAID card a loss.

Specs are below in my sig, but the rest you might want to know is:

Promise controller card TX2000 (sitting in slot 3)

Soundblaster Audigy LS (sitting in slot 5)

Here's the wierd results I get from ATTO. Look at how the write drops off on the 1kb test and remains around 50% of the read speed. Has ANYONE had this problem with their RAID array? I'm running out of patience with it.

Posted Image

Edited by skeptic

Hey Xtreme,

I did the slot change (I believe that was the only combination I haven't used yet), and the "write back" I assume is "Enable Write Hard Disks' Cache"...which is what I have.

I even went and re-updated my windows' driver for the RAID controller (even though it was the same version, you never know....). After all that, not much of a difference. Not really..........

I almost forgot to say this also. I even went and bought partition magic 8.0 and moved everything back to FAT32 to see if that would cure the problem. No dice.

Posted Image

And my PAM setup:

Posted Image

Edited by skeptic
  • 5 weeks later...

Nice score XC :beer: The best I have ever got is the low 150000s write speed thats amazing. I get the same read speeds you are getting though. Are you still running the NTFS files?

Nice score XC :beer: The best I have ever got is the low 150000s write speed thats amazing. I get the same read speeds you are getting though. Are you still running the NTFS files?

Thx TGIC, yes still NTFS, I have tried the FAT32 and found no difference. :rolleyes:

Now you're just showing off!! :woot::woot:

J/K :mrgreen:

Outstanding build, ronnie. I do believe you have a genuine shot at Top Dog in the next competition. :tup:

(What am I saying?? :blink: You got a shot at THIS one!! :yikes: )