Sign in to follow this  
Guest XLegendX

Okay, I'm Done

Guest fragged one

Yeah, I will really miss a lot of the good peeps on here, but this is my sacrifice to enforce what I believe in. :)

magic has said it pretty well there.

charly, thank you. that means a lot. :)

Well guys I will also miss you. Retirements do't have to be forever though, sometimes a cooling off or a vacationsowrks wonders. Worked for the Great V and I...Well I hope I am not presuming too much Volt:)

Anytime you guys like hop on, PM me, or email me...goodluck to the both of you in all of your endeavors.

Last Christmas, when I believed that havoc (mimic/pogo) was getting overburn for his yuletide frolics I forwarded the idea of a period of voluntary suspension when members and admins/mods fell out. I'm sorry that the idea appears to have received nothing more than lip-service so I'm forwarding it again. You can't keep removing character from this site permanently. It's getting more and more difficult to replace.

But when that character starts to mask the overall character of the pit then what do you do?? Admin for the most part pretty much go unnoticed on here (and i mean that in a nice way...lol). Its not Admins fault when they are called into trying to resolve things in the best way they think is right, it makes them look as tho they are power hungry. Its all part and parcel of the job which they chose to take on.

Keith

Edited by doofus

I wondered why Magic & fraggle weren't around so much anymore...

:(

*sigh*

How is it that we as human beings can let something so trivial get blown so out of proportion?

Pathetic & trivial even... A freaking password!

The words "grow up" spring to mind thats for sure...

I feel like I am in primary school watching to boys fight in the playground at lunchtime!!

What happens when someone actually does something really bad?

Like what I am slowly working up to as I am typing this...

So on that note I am going to bed...

With a BIG FROWN !

:angry:

I haven't followed any of this crap but as the original moderator of General Discussions, I feel I have a right to chip in.

First, you can't begin to know the work involved in administering a board like this. If Ax ever mispoke himself at any time -- and I'm not sure he did -- you gotta cut the guy a break. It's not easy juggling all those balls and we all make mistakes sometimes.

Second, when I was running the joint, I frequently admonished users against posts which referenced illegal software. In fact, that admonishment was what set the tone of the board in the first place.

Third, playing amateur hacker at someone else's expense is not funny.

Fourth, given Ax's good efforts, I'm perfectly willing to accept his judgement. If he says Legend's gotta go, that's good enough for me.

Finally, call me a parson, but what I've always believed distinguished this board is the restraint exercised by its members. Sadly, I'm not seeing much of that here.

I

Fourth, given Ax's good efforts, I'm perfectly willing to accept his judgement. If he says Legend's gotta go, that's good enough for me.

I take all your posts seriously, Iain, but I put it to you that the sentence is too long and therefore too severe. A judicial system with an over-simplistic toolbox cannot function fairly.

Like I said moon, I haven't been following this thread. But, let me repeat: I trust the new moderators and accept their judgement. And remember, nothing is forever. That's the way the world works.

Cheers,

I

Edited by Iain

I find it quite ridiculous to get someone banned for obviously just a simple joke.

Simple joke? Creating two dozen accounts on the board, several of which are insulting to the admins? Sorry, I don't get the joke. Sounds like an attack to me, on both the board and the admin. We're the ones who have to clean up the mess.

Please, everyone, in case it's not totally obvious: don't play any of Legend's kind of jokes here anymore.

im not being funny but.............enough already. it serves no purpose going on and on about it. He made a joke, it was taken the wrong way, hes banned, end of story.

Im sure theres another more interesting topic to get into a discussion about such as "who likes sardines" or "whens a mongoose not a mongoose"

:blank:

speaking of which k,

There was this guy who had a pet eagle. But the eagle got sick. So the guy went off in pursuit of a cure.

He walked and walked until he finally came across someone who knew what he was looking for.

The deal was: He had to knock out and collect every baby seagull he ran into in order to perform his task. The upside was that doing so had the additional benefit of making all porpoises he encountered immortal.

The guy did what he had to do and returned with a brace of dazed birds in his satchel.

Just before he arrived home, he ran into a lion with the letters California emblazoned across its loins, lounging across his path .

Not being one to be deterred, he gingerly stepped over the lion, at which point a cop stepped out of the wings and placed him under arrest.

Want to know what the charge was?

Transporting young gulls over state lions for ill eagle and immortal porpoises.

Cheers,

I

Edited by Iain

Im sure theres another more interesting topic to get into a discussion about such as "who likes sardines" or "whens a mongoose not a mongoose"

Have it your way, karlos. The above quote is missing 3 apostrophes, one comma, two caps., two question marks and a period. :) That ain't bad for a death sentence in twenty-five words. :mrgreen:

Edited by moon

Simple joke? Creating two dozen accounts on the board, several of which are insulting to the admins? Sorry, I don't get the joke. Sounds like an attack to me, on both the board and the admin. We're the ones who have to clean up the mess.

The simple joke was the first ID Legend created. People immediately started taking the whold damn thing personally and it spun out of control. I didn't see any other admins try to step in and cool BOTH sides off. It is so obvious that it was an issue of pride, on both sides, it would have been nice to see some other admin(s) try and do their job and step in. Both sides kept pushing and it just got worse and worse. As admins of a computer forum, many of whose regulars are geeks, and keeping in mind that so many geeks are independent minded, it seems like an almost natural occurence for someone like Legend to want to push back and "rebel" in a sorta way. And as an administrator, Ax should have cooled off and let it go. Whether or not he really knew or shoulda known how to help out his password issue is beside the point. It seems to me that the action taken for the sake of the forum is just causing much more damage than something that WAS confined to one thread. I realize it's not easy admining a forum, especially when you have so many stupid arguments (like AMD vs. Intel) that blow up. There's no gray area in not allowing posts that share info on finding warez or that are morally, racially, sexually offensive, etc. However this whole thing with Legend just boiled down to a pride war. Admins didn't do their jobs right and the forum is worse off because of it.

Bank robber's and brad thieves ar all found gillette. The severity of the sentence is wat makes us just.

"when is a mongoose not a mongoose"

the real answer is, when its a horse of course

:woot:

i can't believe i actually found that :blushing:

MOON - i dOn;t knOW whaT yOu arE on ABouT, #'';

Edited by karlos

i can't believe i actually found that

Me neither. I take no pleasure in kidding any member fuelled by such perseverance. :mrgreen:

Jesus I close my eyes for a few seconds and the whole Pit goes to hell. While I think things got out of hand here, I also think calling it a DOS attack is ridiculous. If anything this was just a joke that went a little too far, spun out of control and bit a member on the :filtered:. When I first started coming to the Pit things were great...but something happened during the change from the old forum -- members and mods/admins have become childish. Legend did go about this the wrong way, and an Admin should have known how to reset the passwords rather than just knowing the supposed "Rules of the Board" and how to ban members.

Having said that, I think that a temporary ban (couple of weeks) would have been more appropriate than trying to completely remove a member who has been a good contributor to the Pit's community. The guy went a little insane for a while, but appologized for his actions. It's not like Legend was a cancer to the community that had to be removed. Pretty soon the only people on this board are going to be the mods/admins because you guys will have either :filtered: off regular members, scared off the new ones or banned the rest!

This is probably falling on deaf ears, but I say lighten up and lift the ban.

Guest Disappointed

I saw your post in Site Feedback and you're confusing the issue, Franglais.

I gave some thought to not even responding because I saw you as one of the more reasonable people amongst the mod group, but I keep seeing Dave, Bruce, and now you (plus a few other members) putting this all of on me like I just hit a crazy spell.

And before you throw up my quote about not coming back Ax, let me remind you that I can quote you as saying "I usually don't reply to these posts, but..." and then proceeding to reply, giving me no chance to state my side or even the courtesy of letting me PM (due to you blocking me).

I feel that I must restate this because a lot of you obviously didn't see where or how this all started.

This has NOTHING to do with a password.

I am not and was not mad over a password or Ax's claim that he could not reset it.

Believe it or not, I'm not mad right now.

Read my FIRST thread. (look at the times if you don't believe me)

http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?ac...=ST&f=14&t=4715

How can you not see that I was joking around and in a jovial mood?

Read my SECOND thread.

http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?ac...=ST&f=11&t=4716

I saw that Ax was online for a while and at the time was looking in General. As I've been here a good while now, I know that few people check Site Feedback (including Ax), so I decided to link my thread from there to General.

As you see, I even asked him to remove that thread after he read it.

He went back and forth from General to other sections for about an hour (again, check the times between my posts) so I'm pretty sure he saw it.

BUT I STILL WAS NOT MAD.

Anyways, he finally responded as you can read for yourself.

He proceeded to tell me that there was no way for him to reset my password which seemed odd to me at the time. He also proceeded to take offense to my joking around.

Some of you have said things like "Legend could have/should have solved this through PM's. Trust me, I tried that route before with the Admins here and that went nowhere.

Ax deferred to Dave and Rob. Dave did nothing but protect himself. Rob didn't respond.

Iain was probably the most helpful out of all of the people I PM'd about that matter, if only because he seemed to have taken the time to listen.

And why am I being the only one blamed for not settling this with PM's?

Read for yourself, Ax said:

Legend, Blah, whatever,

I locked your "ThisIsNowMyNameAndAxIsToBlame" name for obvious reasons, and you obviously didn't take the hint, and made another one

Where was my PM about him taking offense to that name, so much so that he was going to block it?

I learned about it the same time as all of you did, through the open forums.

I admit fully, that irritated me that he was taking a joke overboard and then blocked me for it and I created 4 or 5 names similar to it.

BUT...

I complied with Ax's request and tried to go back to using Legend...it was banned.

Why?

I created other names that made NO REFERENCE TO AX or this matter. I'd even replied in a few threads, going about my business as usual.

Soon afterwards, my name was banned.

Some of you seem to be under the false impression that I created all these names to get Ax to help me with my password.

NO.

I created all these names because I was being banned, not out of anger over a lost password.

I would've happily settled with almost any of those names, including Blah.

The rest is history.

I named myself Disappointed because a lot of you are replying without even knowing how this started or came about.

I FULLY accept my role in this and know that I am to take half if not more of the blame.

HOWEVER...

Can any of you who've actually read those threads say that I'm the ONLY one to blame?

Why am I being permanently banned for this?

Ax gave his reason for why:

This is not the first time we've had problems with you either, and that figured into my decision to ban you. You've been warned numerous times, and you have repeatedly ignored those warnings. And like has happened many times in the past, you tried to say I was on a power trip, etc.

First of all, somebody show me where I've EVER said (previous to this encounter) that Ax was on a power trip???

I said that about Bruce, never Ax.

When have you had problems with me, Ax? Once with the thing over Bruce (that Dave can take some responsibility for) and now once with you.

I guess two times gets you banned permanently.

And my final disappointment in this that a LOT of you have seemed to have neglected to see...

If I had done this to ANY one else, would I be banned right now?

Honestly ask yourself, if I'd have put "ThisIsNowMyNameAndTorreyIsToBlame" would I be banned right now?

If you listen to Ax's quote there, then yes. "This is not the first time we've had problems with you either, and that figured into my decision to ban you."

HONESTLY ask yourself if that's true.

Will you stop this :censored: already...

The only issue here is YOU.

What is wrong with you...will you just go on with your life and forget about this. I never said anything before but this is getting very annoying and all the posts say the exactly same thing. I got it the first time...no need to post this junk 1000 times.

Edited by aeroman10

With the state of world affairs being what they are right now, this whole matter is quite silly, and frankly is getting to be an embarassment to this forum.