Change Mode

According to PC World April 2003 issue, they say that AVG isnt great for catching the latest and 'wild' viruses and that

.....because of this shortcoming, using AVG could be just as bad as having no antivirus protection.....

http://find.pcworld.com/32798

Note: This is not my opinion. I have never used AVG. I am just posting what I read :P

Edited by aeroman10

I don't put a whole lot of faith in that publication, or their test results. For one thing, they are testing outdated versions. Of the two I noticed were Grisoft AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System 6.0.437, and I have the latest version which is 6.0.462 (updated at midnight), and McAfee VirusScan 4.51 sp1 4.0.4240, and they are up to version 6 something now. Not to mention it's a huge resource hog that missed quite a few viruses which is why I switched to AVG, yet they passed it, and failed AVG.

Since installing AVG, not a single virus has got me. And AVG does things McAfee does not, like scan email automatically. So I agree with Jason. Until it gives me a problem, or something better comes along, I'll stick with it.

According to PC World April 2003 issue, they say that AVG isnt great for catching the latest and 'wild' viruses and that

Note: This is not my opinion. I have never used AVG. I am just posting what I read  :P

Sure glad I don't post everything I read.
i know V......you would get no sleep if you did that ;):mrgreen:

Keith

Here's the article in Question !!! Note the last sentence

If you don't want to shell out for a top commercial package like Symantec's Norton AntiVirus, at least download Grisoft's free AVG 6 Anti-Virus System. AVG isn't great at catching the latest known in-the-wild viruses, according to UK-based antivirus journal Virus Bulletin. Because of this shortcoming, using AVG could be just as bad as having no antivirus protection if you blindly launch every e-mail attachment that slithers into your in-box. However, if you have other prevention methods in your tool bag (such as a script-resistant e-mail program and a healthy distrust of e-mail attachments), it will at least prevent you from being nailed by those viruses that perennially come around. I've been using AVG for more than a year with great success and a minimum of hassle, but it's a period I nevertheless consider an experiment in living dangerously.

I've been using AVG for nearly 2 years now and never a problem !!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by triplea

And I'm glad I listen to you, my good man. If I didn't, I'd still be crawlin' along with McAfeed eatin' up all my system resources.

And payin' for it too! :woot:

And this is for you, thegooner90...

Sygate Personal Firewall 5

Best firewall money can't buy. Of course, the Pro versions is the kind too, but it's $40.00 now I think.

i just dont understand, ive been running 3 computers online cable modem, wife runs a business on here. I have had 1 virus in 8 years(aol), why is everyone parinoid(cant spell) about a virus. Is there something im not doing where everyone else is getting viruses. ALLEN

Note: This is not my opinion. I have never used AVG. I am just posting what I read  :P

I do not post everything I read ... and I am glad that you dont either. Edited by aeroman10

aeroman,it is very nice to see that you can take constructive critisisum i`ve taken notice to your maturity,but as the title is harsh this will be a topic of harsh critisisum

Edited by jason

Got McAfee and Norton Sys. Works both laying in the drawer and that's where they are going to stay! Been running AVG since I scored a link from Randy Rhoads in a thread way back 2 Pitstops ago. :mrgreen: Works fine for me and I don't get those annoying little messages like McAfee always gives right before the program closed that I was just getting ready to use and Norton that just wouldn't let me do anything I wanted :angry: .

For me it's AVG FREE! :oreo::oreo::oreo::oreo::oreo::banana: "thinks, hmmmm oreos and banana, my that's tasty!"

Hehe, Allen, I agree. I've never been infected with any major virus, nor has one almost infected my comp only to be contained by an antivirus prog - as i RARELY ever use them. I figure I really don't need one because I don't download pirated copies of programs off of kazaa, I don't open and run attatchments that I shouldn't be getting, and I play it safe with software updates, etc. I've had people tell me about how they got a virus from some email that had an attatchment that they ran, yada yada yada.... If people would only try to educate themselves about some basic protection methods, they'd spare themselves the headaches they end up having to deal with.

Cuz when you do get a virus nowadays, you better have all your goodies backed up! It's like getting a flu shot...It's a hassle, and you probably won't get the flu anyway, but it sure stinks to get it.

I think every internet user should be paranoid...to an extent.

I've never even tried AVG. Never used an antivirus (except for Housecall & Panda from time to time), until my very first (& only) experience with Kazaa Lite. Picked up 2 virus', ended up having to reformat my HD (unavoidable), found out the hard way that file-sharing can be lethal. Now I have Ontrack System Suite (Trend Micro), update it regularly. It's yet to find anything, & I'd like to keep it like that! :P -kd5-