Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

Blix's Assessment Of Iraq

Cdave,

It is a great big Bush Merry Go Round spinning wildly out of control.

Guest Deuces Wild

CDave and Bruce....I do not recall this thread being about why we went to war? ;) I think that subject has been beaten into the ground already. :rolleyes:

"I do not recall this thread being about why we went to war?" I fully agree. Who brought up the reason that we were there? Perhaps taht is whom you should complain to.

It is a thread about Hans Blix and his opinion about the reasons we went there, and the fact that Iraq is in worse condition then it was before we went there.

I have not strayed from the topic, and the only response I made about why we were there was in a direct response to your "since day one" comment.

What started as a war about WMD's has been spun in so many different directions by the Bush administration I don't think he even knows what the hell we are doing there.

For once I agree with Bruce :) You cannot have one situation without the other. Iraq's condition is a direct result of the United States invading it and it cannot be overlooked. The United States had stated that they were entering Iraq to destroy the weapons of mass destruction and that is what they announced to the international community. The thing that angers people internationally is that when no weapons were found the United States tried to justify their invasion by changing their rational for invading. It changed from a war on WMD to a war to free the Iraqi people.

Surely the United States intentions have been good, and I appreciate that they are trying to help the world. But if they want to accomplish a task maybe they should provide the actual reasons for doing so and cut the dog and pony show out of the picture.

sky news

130 SOLDIERS KILLED IN IRAQ - REPORTS

A Pentagon source has said up to 130 US troops have been killed in fierce fighting in Iraq.

The large scale battle, described as "intense", has taken place in the town of Ar Ramadi, 20 miles west of Fallujah.

Sky News' David Chater said: "None of this is official yet - none of it is confirmed."

But he added: "It sounds very much like this is being carried out by men who are militarily trained."

Chater described the attack as "highly sophisticated".

Edited by Tankus

Guest Deuces Wild

Thanks Firekracker...that is what I heard also.

reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As many as a dozen American Marines have been killed after their position was attacked in the Iraqi city of Ramadi near the Sunni hotbed of Falluja, a U.S. defence official says.

The official, who asked not to be identified, said on Tuesday initial reports indicated that dozens of Iraqis assaulted the Marine position near the governor's palace in Ramadi.

"There may have been as many as a dozen Marine deaths," the official said, adding that "a significant number" of Iraqis were killed

Edited by Tankus

:( I am watching it on CNN they are having breaking news about it ...

I've made it known how I feel about this invasion happening to begin with... however it has happened and something needs to be done and quickly before they kill more military :mrsgreen: the situation is turning more ugly by the minute.

Meanwhile, Tony Blair has announced he will fly to Washington to meet George Bush on April 16 to discuss the worsening situation.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3020...3047720,00.html

my point is not that Blair is or isn't going somewhere at some date in the future, but rather that the 16th is 10 days from now. why wait? if all of a sudden the opposing forces are professionals, shouldn't the coalition be dealing with this ASAP?

Bush is on vacation or something .. hes in Crawford. They are keeping him updated there so maybe vacation needs to be skipped at the moment and focus on what is happening over there :erm:

Yes but my point is that someone presumably in the know rather than the allegedly left wing, liberal, unpatriotic media seems to think things are not getting better in Iraq.

Qays al-Khazali, one of Mr Sadr's aides, has compared the uprising to a 1991 Shiite rebellion eventually crushed by Saddam Hussein. He said it will go on until the cleric's demands are met.

He said: "The uprising will continue and we will not negotiate unless they fulfil our demands, which are a withdrawal from populated areas and the release of prisoners."

sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=82512&region=6

ok, i think i get it now. more troops are going to be sent (see article) to quell an uprising that is vowed to continue until the occupation is over....

makes sense to me :blink:

Yes. And in a move that can only be described as tactically brilliant the cleric has moved to a holly city and taken up residence in a holly shrine. If we go get him we risk inflaming Muslims through out the middle east. If we leave him he can attack away from his refuge for years. Sounds like check to me.

"tactically brilliant"

yeah, right. hiding yourself in a religous place is what you call "cowardice". and this wasn't anything that we weren't expecting...he's a CLERIC, where do you think he goes most of the time anyway? what do you think his first idea was?

1Pato,

I hear your frustration, but are you also agreeing with CountryDave, that by acting like a coward he leaves us little choice but to do nothing?

no, i don't agree with CDave, that is, if he really believes we should just leave him. i doubt we will, he made that mosque part of the war zone when he hid in it, if he doesn't expect us to get him in a mosque, then he'd be wrong. i don't care what building you're in, whether it be a mosque, church, temple, post office, it doesn't matter, when you're a wanted criminal, and you've chosen to use that building to hide, you should expect it to be part of the crime scene/war zone. if you don't think we'll go in after him, just because he's in a mosque, then you're wrong.

Where would you expect him to hide? He doesn't have a bunker 300 feet under ground, reinforced with steel, and concrete to hide in like our leaders do in times of danger.

They hide where they can. The best protection they have are their holy places. They fight with what they have and the best way they can. We can do one of two things, blow the place up, and risk uprisings and attacks everywhare in the world in retribution, or we can play the waiting game, and use dare I say "military intelligence" to find him and snipers to take him out.

The sad part is they had the damn warrants to arrest him months ago, they didn't go get him when they could have done so easily, I really wish things were better thought out. The decision makers seem to be making some very bad ones. Waiting until he rallied support and started attacking is too little too late. Another blunder costing American lives. :mrsgreen:

No matter what we do about him now, it will have nothing but ill effects. They love nothing more then having martyrs in their cause. :(

Even if we were expecting it we don't seem to have done anything about it. Or maybe this is part a plan to really ignite a holly war. The US has always re-elected a president in a real war. That makes sense.

As for cowardice I think it is straight out of the spec op manual. Find a defensible position that, ideally, is a high value target. The way the heroes of the Alamo used a mission. Besides you may label him a coward but the people that will rally to his defense are unlikely to. Has anyone called Saddam a coward for hiding in a hole. Has anyone called Bin Ladden a coward for attacking and hiding from the "great Satan"?

Has anyone called Bin Ladden a coward for attacking and hiding from the "great Satan"?

yeah, including me, a few times.

oh, and i'd love to know of your adventures in the special ops, do tell :rolleyes:

1Pato,

Are you saying that we have no choice but to blow up the mosque? I think that CountryDave's point is that there may be larger consequences to destroying a mosque. Are you saying that after considering these consequences, it is more important to capture this guy and face whatever consequences that may ensue?

Right now, we have one guy hiding in one mosque. Is there any possibility that after destroying this one mosque that others protest American violence and begin protesting by hiding in more mosques? I think that CDave is saying that we can view this as the first domino. And if so, are we ready to blow up all the mosques?

1Pato,

Are you saying that we have no choice but to blow up the mosque?  I think that CountryDave's point is that there may be larger consequences to destroying a mosque.  Are you saying that after considering these consequences, it is more important to capture this guy and face whatever consequences that may ensue?

Right now, we have one guy hiding in one mosque.  Is there any possibility that after destroying this one mosque that others protest American violence and begin protesting by hiding in more mosques?  I think that CDave is saying that we can view this as the first domino.  And if so, are we ready to blow up all the mosques?

i never said blow up. we wouldn't have to blow it up either. with the kind of special ops resources we have in iraq, we wouldn't need to (the british, australian, and american Spec. Ops. combined). we could get in, get out, and get the job done.

by the way,chengrob, just call me pat :D

Edited by The1PatO