Change Mode

Slow Bandwidth Test

Guest wavery4

Guest wavery4

I just upgraded my computer from Win98SE to Win2000Pro. My bandwith download speed is half what it was. I am sure that it is a settings problem but I can't figure out what it is.

I have AT&T Broadband cable. I am on a Linksys router with another computer. The other computer is registering normal download speeds of 1.5-1.8Mb. This computer is registering download speeds of .4-.7Mb.

The upload speeds seem to be OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just as a test, I switched it back. I got the same results. Before switching, my cable modem was testing at 2.4Mb. I switched and it tested at 634Kb. I switched it back and tested at 2.1Mb. I have NO DOUBT, that was my problem.

Guest wavery4

Is there a possibilty that I have a problem with the video card? Could it be that my video card is much newer than this old ('91)b Compaq monitor.

Hmmmm Your vid card and network card aren't sharing an IRQ are they. Seems like I had some online gaming problems once, and I ended up having to move the NIC to a different slot. Very interesting. Let us know if you figure out whats causing it :)

They don't make a difference. Not in a hardware or software sense. If all he did was do a test and get a 2.4Kbps result, then change to get the much slower result and then change back again to get 2.1, then that's not enough to rule out simple variation that can occur during each test. I usually have to test mine several times to get an idea. Sometimes it will show a very poor result, and the next time it will show something more realistic.

Guest wavery4

Sorry to cause such a contraversy here. The reason that I changed the video settings was on the advice of a tech support rep at AT&T, whoops, I mean Comcast, my ISP. (forgot about the name change).

I called their tech support and the first thing that the guy suggested was changing my video settings. Now, let me tell you, I am just simply not smart enough to come up with this on my own but I do know that the change deffinetly solved my problem. I had the problem CONSISTANTLY before the change and have not had it since.

As for the update on IE to 6.0, that was done AFTER the low bandwidth speed was resolved.

If you would like, I will call Comcast Tech Support and ask them why that solved my problem. I have NO IDEA how these things relate but I am certainly willing to learn.

Guest wavery4

The reason for the 2 "handles" is because I have 2 different computers. This one and a P4/2.53Ghz/1Gg DDR RAM. I didn't want to confuse the 2 if I had problems.

BTW, how did you know that I had 2 handles? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.