Connection Bridge...

Guest interex2050

Guest interex2050

i have two ethernet ports on my motherboard and i was wondering if i hook up two lines from my hub and bridge the two connections

would that give me better speeds?,transfer rates?,more bandwidth?

thanks for the help/comments

Would two 100 megabit connections to your hub be faster than one? Well first, you'd need a 200 megabit connection to your hub. Do you have one of those? If so, can I come over and play? :)

Our server has something like what you're talking about, it's a Compaq server and it has what they call a teamed set of adapters. That provides a little bit of performance boost because packets can be sent or recieved by both, but it's mainly for redundancy purposes in case one of them fails.

But if you're talking about typical home or small office networks, you don't have an Internet connection fast enough to even make a single 10 megabit card break a sweat.

Guest interex2050

but what im tring to find out is that

for instance im dling something and cant it like get half from one channel and the other half from the other

so it will be done in double the time

because speed/bandwidth doesnt seem to be affected by the other computers on my network

so i would have two 750kbs connections

so it would work kinda like raid

and in theory giving me a grand total speed of 1.5mbs

Naaaaaaaa, it doesn't work like that... the pipe coming into the house can only carry so much "water"... putting 2 faucets or a Y inside the house only reduces the amount of water coming out of the 2 faucets.

You could, of course, bring two pipes into the house, say a cable and a DSL, and then load-balance between them. There are some issues with doing this because you will have two completely different IPs on the two lines. You would need a dual-WAN-port router that would take traffic from your local network and route it through one line or the other. I've never seen a home setup where this has been done, but they seem to exist:

http://www.nexland.com/turbo.cfm