Change Mode

Whats The Best Free Anti-virus Program?

Guest plick

after several "bad things" happened to me i tried several anti virus progs, in my opinion norton is the best,ialso got their firewall. as for adaware,it is probably best to use another prog as well {spybot is free,pest patrol is also good}. avoid panda as you have to reboot each time you get an update,not too handy.

If you want a free anti virus program, Grisoft, Inc. has a free one AVG (Anti Virus System). Adaware, spybot, Winpatrol were all suggested to me here at PC Pitstop. :nospys:

. avoid panda as you have to reboot each time you get an update,not too handy.

Not true, I have panda and update every morning,sometimes twice a day, rarily do have to reboot,maybe twice this past year did I have to reboot

AVG is great for me. I liked it so much, I purchased the Pro version. It takes up very little system resources, scans mail, all the stuff you would want. I also use Adaware 6 and Spybot. I like both of them.

Bluesman821: there is no conflict with your other anti virus using Gladiator? I was told my a tech guy that you should never put two AV's on your computer at the same time, to use the on-line scans instead.

The best free A/V is probably AVG from grisoft.

I do not like and would not choose to use Norton's. It is big and slow. Being number 1 or 2 (whichever it is now) means that the new viruses target it or one of the other top 2 or 3 to disable. That means that the latest greatest virus is not as likely to be detected & more likely to neuter Nortons.

Generally the advice is to not use two a/v programs at once because there is a risk of conflict resulting in false identification of viruses, and there is a performance price to pay. Guardian apparently has a small performance price and uses a different type of virus checking so it does not conflict with other a/v software.

The point being that you can probably use Guardian for some additional protection and it may not significantly slow performance.

Let's NOT forget - when you Do get a virus etc. - where do you go for the removal tools ??? Symantec / Norton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*63,259 viruses in their list and counting ... I'll keep my Norton ...

*S*