Sign in to follow this  
zizou

High Ping Is Bad Ping

I have an unusually high ping compared to my friends. In games like counter-strike, i get pings like 50 to 60 while they get like 10 to 20. What made the difference? Does the quality of your modem affect your ping? Any tweaks to recommend?

ah yes the infamous ping difference! if you have a slower upload speed than your friends

to my knowledge it can either be

the ISP's competence and speed of their backbone

or

how close you are to the exchange(further away the longer the time it takes for packets to get into the 'main stream')

or

if you have a slower upload speed than your friends

or distance from server(your friends may be closer)

Edited by Soppy

ah erm the same happens to me in black hawk down, all my friends get great pings but me! in that case im not sure!

The server you are connecting to for play, where is it located? Is it at your friends house? A 10 ping is pretty much a strait connection on the same network. If you are conecting to thier server at thier house you will never ping as good as them. ;)

ok, to erase all doubts.. i'm from singapore and the distance between the isp and any home is of no problem and it seems like everyone else's ping is so much better than mine...

what about the quality of modems?

The only way your friends are getting a 10 ping is if they are running the server at their house. Those numbers are suspiciously low. A 40 to 60 ping is normal for a cable modem (at least it is in Minnesota)

The only way your friends are getting a 10 ping is if they are running the server at their house. Those numbers are suspiciously low. A 40 to 60 ping is normal for a cable modem (at least it is in Minnesota)

:yup:

You can try Cable Nut's tweaking program it works very well.

You will need to download the v4.08 installer and then also download the new Add On Package for the latest recomended settings

http://www.cablenut.com ;)

What ISP Do you use in Minnesota? I'm on roadrunner. Also, when I Play Counter-strike, I log onto a server in chicago, IL., I being in Minneapolis, Minnesota. People from like detroit and ohio and stuff, even in mn and chicago, get pings in the 20-40 range, when I get pings in the 60-110 range. Sorry to take off topic, but I wanna get help also! I'm using cable!

By the way, zizou, are you running any programs that are clogging your network in the backround?

Guest mV.ASSASSIN

well i play counter strike also. and ive noticed better ping with my new computer then my piece of crap compaq, so it could be ur computer.

hi,

all pitstop pings come back as "2000", so i guess that is my firewall doing its job! hopefully.

i live in the uk, and have a cable 1mg connection!!

so i never get "true" results in any ping test.

:rolleyes:

kimberley ;);)

Ha.. my computer is a 1ghz piece of s***. But i have seen people with 700 mhz computer getting 20 to 40 pings and i don't think any network clogging programs are running in the background.

You can try Cable Nut's tweaking program it works very well.

You will need to download the v4.08 installer and then also download the new Add On Package for the latest recomended settings

http://www.cablenut.com ;)

:bump: Did you read this and try?