Change Mode

:blink: I keep getting these pop up messages that states its from the messenger service, some of them say things such as, "a message from Lori, go to....website address" other pop ups have said, if you would like these messages to stop go to "website address" and pay $9.99. :P LOL. I have spybot,and the popup stopper, (which apparently doesn't recognize these particular pop ups) and I honestly donot know what to do to get rid of these annoying varments. Because I have broadband, I am obviously online all the time, so when I am working in an application I get these annoying pop ups, anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of these????? Thx!!! ShAkEy :shifty:

:oreo: Hammerslammer I did what you said, does this mean I will have to start my MSN Messenger now in order to use it? And will this stop those annoying pop ups??? Thx! ShAkEy :rolleyes:

Country Dave, I have no idea what firewall I am using, How can I find out??? Thx!

Kinda- If you have to ask you probably don't have one. If you are on broadband (& u are) you should have one. I like ZA. Get the free one www.zonealarm.com There are others but I think it is about the easiest to work.

If this is a MS messenger thing the firewall won't help but I am pretty sure it isn't a Messenger thing. I infrequently use M$ messenger but I don't get those popups. Especially a popup that says "pay me to not bother you". I really doubt that is M$ and I have little good to say about M$.

I agree V but are you suggesting that as broadband user she shouldn't use a firewall?

No way,,was just trying to point out where the popup was coming from. and if the service isn't needed dump it.

How about a compromise V and CD? :rolleyes:

It is the new version which allows the popups.

The previous version KS was using can be installed instead.

I am still running version 2.2(2.2.1053) and do not have any popups.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=msnm

I simply don't have a reason to run it,,if someone does,, that might be the way to go though.

I keep getting these pop up messages that states its from the messenger service, some of them say things such as, "a message from Lori, go to....website address" other pop ups have said, if you would like these messages to stop go to "website address" and pay $9.99.

Hammer,, when I see that stuff I don't even think of msn messenger!! :mrgreen: v

:rolleyes: Well.......it isn't the MSN messenger service that is prompting the pop ups, but when it pops up , at the top of the box , it says "messenger service", therefore, I assumed it was the MSN messenger thingie.Hammerslammer, Since I have disabled the messenger thingie as suggested, and I haven't seen any of those rude popups yet, YAY! Hopefully,, that took care of it. And just for the record, I think all you pitstop crew people are the BEST! Thx A MIL! ShAkEy :mrgreen: Edited by kindashakey

I honestly assumed I had one, how can I make sure that I don't, prior to downloading the free version at zonealarm as suggested on this forum? I have a Dell PC, and windows XP. I am, what I call a level two novice when it comes to computers, so at the risk of sounding like a level one novice :blink: (hehe) what purpose does a firewall serve, and is it difficult to put into motion?. TYVM! ShAkEy :P

Edited by kindashakey

XP does have it's own fire wall but it's really lame and won't stop anything from going out. To check if it's on,go to: start/control panel/internet options/connections/settings/properties/advanced. If it's on you can untic the box and get a much better one like Zone Alarm

A firewall will help stop hacker/crackers and other nasties from getting access to your machine

Edited by Joe C