Change Mode

Can't Disconnect From The Internet

Guest ds95337

Guest ds95337

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop. I'm running windows XP. Ever since December my computer will freeze up completely whenever I try to disconnect from the internet. It started one day after I was trying to download something. System restores do not fix the problem. I have called Dell tech support and they had me reinstall the modem and video drivers. That only helped for about a week and a half until i downloaded something else (I was downloading windows updates). So I reinstalled the drivers again. No help. Then I had occasion to install a newer version of my video driver but that had no effect on my problem. Everything else seems to be running fine with the computer. This freezing up problem happens whether I'm using my AOL or Earthlink connection, although it started on AOL. Both are a dial-up service. My computer will not respond to ANY keyboard commands when this problem occurs. I am no pc wizard so I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Any advice or input would b greatly appreciated. Thanks. :help:

Guest RCawdor
:blank: I would suggest getting rid of AOL. It is a very intrusive program and who knows what it really does to your computer.

Guest ds95337

I did run a test the other night before I posted my problem. But I can't seem to get back to it. However, I did write a bunch of the stuff down. It found spyware on my laptop, ARUp/d32. It said I really should upgrade my memory, from 128mb to 256mb. My download time was fast and had no problem,but my upload is slow, only 32kb/sec. The test didn't find any other problems. It rated my computer a 94 I think. I did get rid of the spyware program. And I have gotten rid of AOL as of yesterday. I have not upgraded my memory yet. I did talk to Dell tech support again and they had me install some new drivers again. So we'll see. What do you guys think?