Sign in to follow this  
slickchick

Slick Gets A Bargain?

Hi guys.

now that you got me going in the pc domain I've had my eyes open for another project to tackle. A gal at school mentioned her pc was acting up and she might like to sell it. Around a year and half old. Well figuring what I cant fix I can destroy I took a look. It's a AMD x86 40gig ,Family 6 model 3. 850 Mhz,384MB memory, XP home and all that other stuff. I looked at it and it looked okay to me so I gave her $70.00 for it with her warning there were problems at times. I took it home and hooked it up to the internet via dialup as there is no nic card. I cruised around the net fine for about 10 minutes and a thing popped up that said " the system is shutting down due to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and RPC Service did something totally out of character that windows must shut down". Pretty close anyhow, Then it reboots and after everything starts over again I rehook, get about 10 minutes and it repeats the message and shuts down in 60 sec..Any idea whats up and did Slick do good?

Slickchick

BTW I tried to run a pit test but was 86d due to ActiveX issues. Those are such a drag.....

Tokeman.

Thats the same popup I get about shutting down. You might have hit it. Is the 4 steps they refer to what I need to do to get rid of it? I'll read thru and see if it sinks in. Thanks so much and will let let you know if I make a bigger mess. :rolleyes:

Slickchick

Hi IG.

Just cant leave these things alone now. What you think of my worm infested critter? Heading to campus in an hour or so. Might buy another. I need um MAN!

Slickchick

Hi IG.

Just cant leave these things alone now. What you think of my worm infested critter? Heading to campus in an hour or so. Might buy another. I need um MAN!

Slickchick

Awesome deal!!

And you WILL get it sorted out!!

hi guys,

been trying allot of this stuff to try and remoce the worm thing. Not much luck yet but havn't given up either. I starting thinking again, "yes I know that's about the time the problems really start" but I was wondering if all else fails could I do a wipe clean deal on the disk, reformat and reinstall the OS and beat the bug? Not ready for that yet....just wondering.

Slickchick

Morning slick :)

I think you're on the right track with this thought,

was wondering if all else fails could I do a wipe clean deal on the disk, reformat and reinstall the OS and beat the bug?

Not only is it the easiest way to get rid of the virus, but it also lets you start fresh with your new computer. Even better is if the person you bought it from gave you the XP disk with the cd key.

Stormy,

I'm glad you like my alternate plan.It seemed to work fine in my head just didn't know what might happen in the real world. This chasing ghosts is for the birds. A few more flights of fancy here and I think it will be time for a Slick overhaul. Thanks again Stormy!

Slickchick

Getting furrowed brows but I'm hanging in there.

The easy way to stay online:

Click on Start

Click Run then type: services.msc

When the Services window opens up, scroll down the list to the first Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Right-click on this and select Properties

Click on the Recovery tab

You will see the drop-down menus labelled First failure, Second failure and Subsequent failures. These will be set to 'Restart' as default.

Change each drop-down menu to 'Take No Action' then click Apply and OK.

Close the Services window

Then go to Windows Update and d/load all critical security patches/updates.

Disable System Restore: Howto.

Next thing is to run an online scanner: TREND. ;)

Hi, slick!! :mrgreen:

Sounds like you might end up with a real nice system. Did you get the XP cd with it?

Inprofile,

Love this stuff. Thanks for the link. Still fighting with it. Thought I had it this time but it came back 40 minutes later. Will try the other thing you posted about the RPC deal. Let you know! :rolleyes:

Slickchick

Hello Dickster!!!!

As far as getting the XP cd goes..... you taught me better than that Dickster. :erm: Got her speakers and scanner too but she wouldnt give up the monitor. Think I got ripped?

Slickchick

Dickster,

Not yet. Thought I had it but then it rebooted again and shut me down. I know I can get this one. Everything else seems to work fine. That XP system is pretty cool compared to Win98. The only other thing Ive done since I got it was set the security settings to moderate so maybe I could post a test. Didn't work and just said Activex was to frisky or something to allow a test. Will deal with all that tonight. Will let you know soon!!

Slickchick