Lindows Vs Linux Vs Windows

Jander

From what I read here and hearing from other people, Linux is great. I've also been reading about Lindows. Now, I'm seriously fed up with windows. The problem is, thats all I have ever used (except dos :woot: ). Stupid question: with linux, can I run my regular programs like games, office (MS again), and IE? Or do I have to get special programs or what? Which brings us to Lindows. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Is it any good?

Also, where can I get redhat or suse (what are these as well?)?

Thanks m8s.-Jander

hi

look in the post

linux whats the best

there are links in the post

and yes you can run office in linux and run ie-6 as well

but there are a lot of differences you might find you like there e-mail and web browsers better then what microsoft offers

but that will be up to you to run what you like

best i can tell you for now

http://www.linuxiso.org/

http://www.distrowatch.com/

Edited by tw2

Lindows is just another distrobution of Linux, a very expensive one. It costs $129, and then anther $99 to install applications that are freely available.

Lindows is a joke, not very well accepted in the linux community, and in my opinion isn't worth $20 never mind the outragoues amounts they wan for what is "freely" available anywhere on the internet.

Okay, sorry for the newb question (I know Zilche about Linux)......Did you say "free"....heheheh

I have like 120 gigs of Hard Drive, I think I could reserve a partition and create (never did this before) a Dual boot...XP Home and Linux....Is this possible? And if so....bruce, you got any extra Linux disks laying around??

I really hate to admit it....I love XP...but I haven't taken the news that I am "leasing it" well......$200 to lease this retail copy of Windows that I have......I am at the point where I HAVE to call M$ at every clean install!!! :bang: Talk about tickin me off!...anyway...I will now relent

Rev.

now ,rev it wouldn`t take you but

a couple of night to download what you need :P

now i don`t know if you`ll have room on that little hhd you got

all most as bad as me on size that is :):)

LinuxISO Site LOL 5 disks to download @ 600-700 mbs each!!!???!!! :woot:

3.17 Gigs...all coming in at a blazing 6 kb/s on flashget! lol

Getting RedHat 8.0....any comments..good bad or NO NOT THAT ONE!!!

Edited by Rev.

yeah, the price of lindows is a joke. with the os and updates it's right up there with xp home in terms of price gouging. but linux needs a distro that is as easy as m$ to install, use, and configure. actually the install and use of linux is easy, it's the configure and setup that takes work. things like video driver support, software dependencies, etc... but when you do get it setup, it is by far better than using m$ windoze. :tux::)

I am at the point where I HAVE to call M$ at every clean install!!!

Buy Drive Image 2002, have the system in top condition with all updated drivers and such. Make a image backup and when you use that to restore no activation calls needed. You can also make a backup of the file :

WPA.DBL

After activation backup this file and if you ever have to redo XP over just copy it back and reboot. It only works on the machine XP was activated on and if you have changed alot of hardware since then you may want to make a more recent backup of that file before you format XP off.