Sign in to follow this  
indy

Using Spybot S&d

I downloaded the free Spybot S&D but am not sure how to properly use it. The settings are set the way it came and I use it about once an hour when I am online. There is almost always some things in red. Should I ever fix anything that is not red? Should it be set to come on automaticaly?

Thanks v! Great review. Are you from Indy or just a Pacer fan? Shame Artest is acting like Rodman used to.

45 miles nw of Indy,,clinton county,,pacer fan from the ABA days!! they really need the guy,,but he is going to have to get control of himself,,he is a dandy as a player of the game!!

I live just south of you volt,Boone county.

I went to Lebanon High School in boone county!! so were close :cheers::mrgreen: v

The latest beta release adds a fantastic Immunize capability that blocks nasty ActiveX garbage from being activated by IE.

I tried it by hitting well-known hijacker sites on my daily-use notebook and the sole evidence of my visits to the sites were cookies. I use CookieWall from AnalogX to handle that sort of thing, and hadn't added them to the kill list before running the S&D scan. Impressive, I must say. If you already have S&D installed, enable the setting that controls beta download options in order to get the Immunize function. The more proactive approach will still require updates in order keep up with constant changes by the offenders, but it's a huge step toward preventing frequent encounters rather than playing the clean-up game.

*from lockergnome

Hmmmmm ...

Seems I had a major problem with this beta Immunization ...

It adds a sdhelper.dll that was causing IE to send error reports ( you lose track after about a dozen in a day ... )

I uninstalled and reinstalled Spybot without adding the beta update and no problems so far.

SO, IF you do try it out and have IE ..............................................

( maybe just my particular configuration ? WinMe / IE 5.5 (2) )

Guest maddux

I've been using Spybot S&D for a little over a month and a half, and I must say.. I've been quite impressed with it's ability to seek out and remove Spyware. It's also easy to upgrade the definitions, and you can also use Skins, which are great too. Very nice program. :)

Yes, I have been using it for a couple of months - it is good. Add in PestPatrol, & AdAware and you got a good thing going ...

The better solution is to not use IE at all, use a Mozilla based browser like Phoenix and problem solved. Has built in popup stopper , built in cookie manager. Just 8 MB in download size, doesnt need installed. Humm no brainer if i must say :mrgreen:

Edited by RANDY RHOADS 1981