Redhat Linux

theoldgardener

Now that Redhat 8.0 is on the way, what will I be missing by not having gotten 7.3? I have SuSe 8.0 on another machine and am very impressed. I have to be honest and say that the learning curve was a bit steep on the SuSe so trying Redhat was recommended. Will let you know how I'm doing.

I myself, have never tried 8.0, but I am running 7.3. I know they had made some changes with the new release, but I couldn't tell you off hand what exactly they were. Let us know how things go with it.

same here. maybe someone who's used both 7.3 and 8.0 will post here and tell you the differences..... bruce? :rolleyes: hint, hint.... :P:)

i have both redhat 7.3 and 8.0 i've been using 8.0 off and on i like it because more features in it.. has better games and office features etc.. i have everything installed so im just feeling around in this os, im liking it so far. one good thing about it is that you get a warning if a update comes along it flashes on the toolbar.. :drool: but in my own oppinion one would have to try this distro out to see what the differences are and if they like them. :)

Actually many features were removed in 8.0 that exist in 7.3.

The update notification also exists in 7.3 if you use the Gnome interface. Anything else that is new in 8.0 can be downloaded for free for 7.3.

7.3 actually has more features as far as customizing things goes. 8.0 relies to heavily on the Gnome interface even when you choose to use KDE.

The Blue Curve interface just isn't all that great in my opinion. In theory it's great, but should have relied more on KDE like every other distro.

The 8 series releases need allot of work in my opinion, I have already tried the new 8.1 Beta, it was classic :nuke: beta. :nuke:

I have a copy of the RC2 Beta8.1 I have yet to install.

KDE 3.1 has been released and has allot of new features.

bruce, i find a bigger, difference between the 2 distro's one would think 8.0 would have more to it.. which in my findings it does but thats my oppinion. with kde you talking about the browser konq? its already updated in this distro.. forgive me but im just not understanding your views on redhat 8.0. :unsure:

Konq is a very small part of KDE, KDE is a whole and complete user interface. RedHat hacked at it, destroyed it, and made Gnome applications the default even when "attempting" to use KDE as the default interface.

You will have to specifically point out an added feature. as I have used both and found 8.0 to be slower, uglier, KDE is not fully functional, MP3 support was removed, LISa deamon is broke, Package mangaer doesn't have the capabilities to browse all installed pakages like kpackage in 7.3, I can keep going.

Swat was removed, grip, xmms, noaton, kaboodle, mplayer...are all only semi functional, again because MP3 support was removed.

Fonts in the cli, bash shell, terminal are broken and it makes doing things next to imposssible, and thats a royal pain, as 8.0 actually needs more CLI configuration then previous versions.

8.0 will be OK for some folks, but most linux users are not very happy with what RedHat has done.

thanks, for pointing that out for me. i just wasnt sure what the 2 differences where and what was messed up in 8.0, im a newbie with linux. and im trying to understand linux, which i think is a very good program better then a windows install. :rolleyes: but i still have more learning to do and i understand your point now. :)