Change Mode

What Dl Speed Should I Expect?

Im on a broadband connection (only 512kb) and i know theres a lot to take into account, but does anyone have a ballpark kinda figure as to what kind of DL speeds i should be getting?. Most ive seen it peak at is 101kb/s tho it have seen it spike up around 150 occasionally, and id say from using it for the month or so i have done im getting around 60-70kb/s on average. As with all the net, some dl sites are quicker and some are slower, but my average id say is 60-70. Does that sound about right?

Edit: i should say that i mean actual dl speeds when downloading drivers and stuff and not what its been tested at. According to the online tests its rated as a 610kb/s connection......lol.

Keith

Edited by doofus

What is the maximum download speed that your ISP provide you with.

Also, if youre on Cable it depends on how many other people in your area are on the same line and if youre on DSL it matters how far away you are from the phone company.

Your download speed : 493136 bps, or 493 kbps.

A 60.1 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 50238 bps, or 50 kbps.

Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

Just did a quick test to see..and thats what it gave me.......upload sucks for some reason :erm:

Keith

Most ive seen it peak at is 101kb/s tho it have seen it spike up around 150 occasionally

Are you talking about the speed quoted by internet explorer? If so it reports in kB/sec and you rated speed is in kb/sec (bits versus bytes) There are 8 bits in a byte so to go from the IE number to your ISP's number multiply by 8. in your example that would mean your seeing 808 kb/sec on a line rated for 512. Sounds pretty good to me. Even your lowest example still gives 480 kb/sec.

keith, your connection is dependant on where you are from the main trunkline, and your isp, and if your isp has caps on there packages. which i bet they do you would have to do some investigating, call you isp and see what package, your on and see what they give you on the d/l and uploads. if it aint too much see if you can upgrade your package your on to something faster. in the mean time you can d/l from speedguide the tcp/ip optimizer. when you install that, open it up put a check where your nic card is and up on the right hit extreme. and down at the bottom it will say optimal settings, hit that and hit apply your settings, and a window will popup saying to reboot hit that and try another test. see what your get for d/l's at least. :)

2003-03-06 19:38:01 EST: 493 / 49

Your download speed : 493383 bps, or 493 kbps.

A 60.2 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 49248 bps, or 49 kbps.

Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

Just tried another quick test tho im not sure how accurate they can be. Upload still seems really slow :erm:

Keith

Thanks mohawk

Maybe i will give them a bell sometime today and ask them for some specific details about the speeds i should (or is that what im allowed by them??) to be getting.

Keith

Well i just got off phone to my isp and apparently my connection is fine and infact going by the info i gave them its one of the better ones they have had queried :erm:

They said the ping should be 55ms on average (or however they work) and i just tried that out on here and sure enough it was. Infact the ping i just did was rated 13ms, so thats supposed to be fine.

Keith

Edited by doofus

Thanks Bongpig.

Thats the same tests i been doing, and going by the latest test below all seems fine i think.

Your Tweakable Settings:

Receive Window (RWIN): 13140

Window Scaling: off

Path MTU Discovery: ON

RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF

RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF

Selective Acks: ON

MSS requested: 1460

TTL: unknown

TTL remaining: 115

Notes and recommendations:

RWIN is in range