Change Mode

Desktop Shortcuts Not Working

I uninstalled Avant browser with a program called My Uninstaller and when I click on a desktop shortcut the printer screen comes up and Zone Alarm is asking for permission to run a dll as an application. If I say yes or no I still get the printer screen. The only way I can get to a website is to do a search. The pit test shows nothing wrong. Panda anti virus detects nothing, neither does Adaware or SwatIt.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?i...LQAKWMCWRNSQGA3

This may not be of any help but I use My Uninstaller as well. However, I don't use it to uninstall programs but just as a check on the programs installed. :blink: I know clear as mud. Instead I use the uninstaller provided with the program or go to control panel/Add-Remove and do it there. Did you have a look to see if it still showing up? Search maybe?

Hawk

Right click on one of your shortcuts-> properties and see where the target is pointed. If the target is wrong you can change it by typing (or pasting) where the correct file for the shortcut is.

Why didn't I think of that...

I havent changed file shortcuts since I had to hack into my own computer to access locked directories to remove security.

I did find some leftover files from Avant and deleted them. That may be the problem since Avant is an add on to IE, from what I understand.

Yep, I know. Didn't care for it. :mrsgreen:

I think in future if you used the add/remove option in control panel and then do a search to be sure, might help.If it is a program that is in use, it should be disabled first or at least it works for me. :mrwinky:

Hawk

Edited by Hawk

Why didn't I think of that...

I havent changed file shortcuts since I had to hack into my own computer to access locked directories to remove security.

Sometimes people just forget about the easy things when you don't use them much. I know I sure forget enough! :cheers:

Thanks everyone...looks like I will have to reinstall IE. I'll do it later, right now I need to check my eyelids for cracks!  :lol:

That was kinda funny...cheesy, but funny...in a stupid way...no...in a unique way...that was a good pun.

Edit: That is, if you're thinking of cracks for your computer when you read it.

Edited by bacterozoid

Corrupted shortcuts. Windows does strange things sometimes when a shortcut gets corrupted. We get them a lot on network shortcuts at work. Just fix them manually as you find them, no big deal. The real problem is in the registry. If an uninstall did this you can bet there are some loose ends in the registry, you might want to run a registry cleanup utility and see what you find. Unless of course you backed up the registry before the uninstall? Yeah, right.

Then again I think you said it's XP, you could just restore it to a point before you did this and try it again, might be worth it.

If there are a lot of shortcuts screwed up you really might want to consider a system restore as that could just be the tip of the iceberg.