Change Mode

I had 256mb of RAM, I just installed 256mb more. It was from newegg.com made by crucial. I am running xp and when I log in, it takes for ever to load up my personal settings now. Did I do something wrong. I shut the system down, opened it up. Put the ram in and turned it on. Did I miss something? HELP!!

There was only one slot available besides the one already being used with the other stick of 256mb.

i meant switching their positions, take the new stick, and put it where the 1st stick is now, and the old one, and put it where the new one is now.

Thanks, I will try that.

You just download the test to a floppy. Shut off the PC, install the foppy and boot up.

The test will run on boot-up. Just press the "t" key to run the extended test. It takes about 20 minutes.

Ok, I ran the memory diagnostic test and I also switched the slots the ram was in, still the same result. When I log on in xp, it normally would take 1-2 seconds to load the settings and then the blue screen dissappears. Now, it takes like 20 seconds for the blue screen to disappear. Does anybody have any other ideas?

A couple of things you might look at. One would be how fast the memory is performing. If I were you I would test with PC Mark and the Pit test using a single old stick, a single new stick, and both sticks. Compare the scores. How fast the system takes to boot up is a different question. You could do the same thing using The Pit test. If you determine that the ram is performing correctly then I would look for reasons for the slow boot. How does the system boot with just the new stick of ram? :)

Info on page file.>You can find it in Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information.

Edited by shogan191

If the RAM checks out OK and it is not a compatability thing check your page file.

I think in XP it's the same as 2000. Right click my computer then click properties/advanced/performance options/change.

Windows may be busy changing the page file size or something stupid. Try Bionic CPU Peeker, see how you are using memory on the fly.

Probably the two sticks don't like each other though. :(

:P I don't know whether this will help your system or not but this prog as well as a few others I can't think of at the moment.... can free up some memory for you when needed in certain applications. When you get to low in the resources .. it will free up some depending on how much you need.

Firekracker found this for me & it seems to work sometimes.

You can give it a try ...

http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/ ...... maybe it will work for ya ;)

gar

edit: appologies for not having read the whole thread first :blushing:

Edited by ggarj

Ok. I took out the new stick of ram and the computer is doing the same thing. I checked the page file like chopdoc said. I have is set so that the system will manage the page file. Should I change that to something else?

Anybody have any other ideas on how to make it load up quickly like it dod before I put the new ram in.