Sign in to follow this  
Dynamite Joe

Windows Updates Not Installing?

Hi,

I have a little problem with windows updates. When the automatic update kicks in, it starts to download the update but the download never fnishes & consequently does not get installed.

Would anyone have any idea as to why this might be happening?

All help and advice is much appreciated.

Hi,

I have a little problem with windows updates. When the automatic update kicks in, it starts to download the update but the download never fnishes & consequently does not get installed.

I assume you are stating that you have auto updates enabled ? It appears something is blocking the update ie. firewall or spy program. Try going directly to Microsoft Windows Updates. I think you should also run and antivirus & adware program you have, in the event there might be something in your system.

Hawk

I cleaned my system out the other day using pest patrol, so im pretty sure my machine is pretty clean.

I dont have an anti-virus program installed or a firewall.

cant think what might be blocking the update.

:woot: No AV and no Firewall......any number of nasties could be blocking your updates. :woot:

:woot: No AV and no Firewall......any number of nasties could be blocking your updates. :woot:

Right on Hulk! I had to reformat awhile ago and was trying to get Norton updated but kept getting knocked off line. Did some backdoor tricks and got it updated. First thing it picked up was W32.Welchia worm. Got tool & fixed it.

When you get back on line, get some Av & spyware/adware programs. I can suggest some like Ad-Aware,Spybot S&D & Spysweeper for spyware/adware & Zone Alarms or Tiny Personal FW for firewalls. If you want to have a look at this site, it has a lot of freeware programs

http://www.webattack.com & links to other freeware sites. I'm sure some of the other members will offer you some other suggestions as well.

Hawk

You can try this , go to C:/Windows/System 32/ right click and delete the Catroot 2 folder , then try to update , the catroot 2 folder will be re-created after you have updated and re-booted.

You never mentioned , so I am assuming that you are using XP

I've cleaned my system of spyware & adware using pest patrol and I did a virus scan using mcafee freescan, which resulted in a clean test too.

However, I am still having trouble downloading & installing windows updates.

Can someone suggest anything else?

I've cleaned my system of spyware & adware using pest patrol and I did a virus scan using mcafee freescan, which resulted in a clean test too.

However, I am still having trouble downloading & installing windows updates.

Can someone suggest anything else?

Is you O/S XP & your browser IE? Also, are you downloading updates or patches? For XP you should be on http://www.v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Look for "Critical" patches.

Hawk

if u have a non legal version of Xp (crack version, some one burned it for u of double instalation) then u cant update. there is a way around it but i dunt know how

If your windows is not legal ,it won`t work .Also check your date and time and time zone ,be sure they are set right because if they arn`t then you can`t get the updates. good luck :rolleyes:

If your windows is not legal ,it won`t work .Also check your date and time and time zone ,be sure they are set right because if they arn`t then you can`t get the updates. good luck :rolleyes:

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think this is the appropriate forum to discuss illegal copies of anything. Count me out!

Hawk

When you say the download never finishes, do you mean that it doesn't install (once downloaded) or that it gets to a certain download percentage and then stops?

Hi,

dynamite joe, am having the same problem with my update, was unable to install xp1. i've also done everything listed, adaware,spybot , avg anti virus, no firewall enabled, legitimate xp home,ect. i read in max pc or pc world about problems with some configurations and xp. judt thought you should know.

go to start>run and type services.msc

then look for automatic updates and make sure the status reports "started"

if not, double click on it and change the startup type to "automatic" and then right click on it and hit start

then try the windows update again

Hi,

Windows XP

Display Hidden Files

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders.

Under Advanced settings, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.

Note Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed. Hidden files are program or system files that typically should not be deleted or changed.

Delete Temporary Internet Files

Use the Windows Disk Cleanup Wizard to clear your Temporary Internet Files. To do so:

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cleanmgr.

Click Temporary Internet Files, and then click OK.

Delete Files from Windows Update Folder

On the Windows desktop, double-click My Computer.

Double-click drive C.

Double-click the Program Files folder, and then double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.

Click the V4 folder, click Edit, click Invert Selection, and then press DELETE.

Note If you cannot find the V4 folder, click Edit, click Select All and then press DELETE. Skip steps 5 and 6.

Double-click the V4 folder.

Click the Iuhist.xml file, click Edit, click Invert Selection, and then press DELETE.

Remove the Windows Update ActiveX Controls

Click Start, and then click Search.

Click More Advanced Options, and then click to select the Search hidden files and folders check box.

Type iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll, and then click Search.

If these files are found in your C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache folder, delete them.

If these files are found in any folder other than C:\Windows\System32, delete them.

After you have deleted all other copies of these files, delete them from the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

When you are prompted to insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM, click Cancel.

Note You will download newer versions of the files from the Windows Update Web site.

When you are prompted to answer if you want to keep the unrecognized file versions, click Yes.

Visit the Windows Update Web site and install new copies of the ActiveX controls.

Windows 2000 and Windows Millennium Edition

Display Hidden Files

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.

Note Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed. Hidden files are program or system files that typically should not be deleted or changed.

Close all programs and Internet Explorer windows.

In Control Panel, double-click Internet Options.

Click the General tab.

Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Close Control Panel. Restart for the changes to take effect.

On the Windows desktop, double-click My Computer, double-click drive C, double-click the Program Files folder, and then double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.

Note If you cannot find the V4 folder, click Edit, click Select All and then press DELETE. Skip steps 3 and 4.

Click the Iuhist.xml file, click Edit, click Invert Selection, and then press DELETE.

Click Start, then click Search, and then click For Files or Folders. Search for files named Iuctl.dll and Iuengine.dll.

If these files are found in the C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache folder, delete them.

If these files are found in any other folder, other than C:\Windows\System32, delete them.

After you have deleted all other copies of these files, delete them from the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Visit the Windows Update Web site to install new copies of the ActiveX controls.

Windows 98

Display Hidden Files

Click Start, click Settings, and then click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Close all programs and all Internet Explorer windows.

In Control Pane, double-click Internet Options.

Click the General tab.

Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files.

Click OK.

Close Control Panel. Restart for the changes to take effect.

On the Windows desktop, double-click My Computer, double-click drive C, double-click the Program Files folder, and then double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.

Note If you cannot find the V4 folder, click Edit, click Select All and then press DELETE. Skip steps 3 and 4.

Click Start, click Find, and then click For Files or Folders. Search for the files named iuctl.dll and Iuengine.dll.

Delete all copies of these files.

Visit the Windows Update

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;319585

Wizzkid

The download seems to finish but the updates are never installed. I know this because every day I get a windows update window pop up with the exact same updates to install.

Something is clearly blocking the installation.

I have Windows XP & am using an IE browser.

I have run all the standard security checks, ie virus scan, spybot/adware etc.

I also have windows automatic updates enabled in my services.msc list.

Having a cracked or original XP version should NOT make any difference what so ever.

Can anyone help?

I am going to try what wizzkid has suggested.

go to start>run and type services.msc

then look for automatic updates and make sure the status reports "started"

if not, double click on it and change the startup type to "automatic" and then right click on it and hit start

then try the windows update again

neomia,my services are listed as started too, but when i get the reminder and click ok it doesn't respond as shown in task manager.

The download seems to finish but the updates are never installed. I know this because every day I get a windows update window pop up with the exact same updates to install.

Are you sure that the updates you download are supposed to install automatically? I ask this because sometimes, when I download updates from Windows Update, I need to manually install (for example, a driver) otherwise, the update just sits in my computer, waiting for me to do something with it. :)

What kind of updates are they? Critical updates? Driver updates? Service packs? I can only speak from my own experience, as I use WinMe not XP, but they don't all install automatically.

They are security updates mainly. But the thing is, it never gives me the option of installing them. The download seems to reach 98% & then disappears. Then the next day it will attempt to download the exact same updates that I was trying to install the previous day.

It is a bizarre situation. It is obvious to me that something is blocking the updates from being fully downloaded & installed. I just can't figure out what!!

HELP!!!!!!!!

Bit of a shot here, but have you tried to download and install the updates maually?