Sign in to follow this  
psicon

Testimony

This is too funny...

I was helping a friend fix and clean his computer yesterday. The computer was running very slow. He also had a ton of spyware.. hijackers, popups, adserver stuff, etc... I cleaned the spyware using Spybot Search & Destroy and rebooted the computer. The popups, hijackers, and IE toolbars were gone, but the system still kinda crept...

I noticed he had Norton 2004 running, and the system specs were not quite good enough to comfortably run his system. I uninstalled Norton 2004 AV and downloaded AVG Free for him... Here's the good part..

Upon installing AVG Free (remember the FREE part, versus $50 for Norton), i ran a full test, and found 27 new Trojans that Norton did NOT pick up! Norton was fully up to date, too!!!

This really makes me question the validity of some of the claims the high-dollar virus scan companies make about how their software is the most advanced, etc...

Anyway, go to http://www.grisoft.com and get your freebie today.

-myk

I agree, the free version does seem to do a top notch job, it has saved me a few times too.

Wizzkid

Got rid of all the high priced and low powered virus programs and dowloaded AVG several months ago. Nothing gets through and I update from their website every week. Can't beat the service or the price.

:P:P

This is too funny...

I was helping a friend fix and clean his computer yesterday. The computer was running very slow. He also had a ton of spyware.. hijackers, popups, adserver stuff, etc... I cleaned the spyware using Spybot Search & Destroy and rebooted the computer. The popups, hijackers, and IE toolbars were gone, but the system still kinda crept...

I noticed he had Norton 2004 running, and the system specs were not quite good enough to comfortably run his system. I uninstalled Norton 2004 AV and downloaded AVG Free for him... Here's the good part..

Upon installing AVG Free (remember the FREE part, versus $50 for Norton), i ran a full test, and found 27 new Trojans that Norton did NOT pick up! Norton was fully up to date, too!!!

This really makes me question the validity of some of the claims the high-dollar virus scan companies make about how their software is the most advanced, etc...

Anyway, go to http://www.grisoft.com and get your freebie today.

-myk

psicon, i totally agree, just got new used comp, fist thing i did was set up internet connection,downloaded avg and found 3 viruses on my new used system

:P

im running norton 2003 pro.. and you guys are scaring the heck out of me :blink:

I also use AVG. I like it alot.. Now if i can only get rid of the McAfee thats on this machine........

Thanks kd5. Wish it was in the ADD/Remove programs, would be easier...

Edited by cutloop

Yeh, according to what volt used to say about it, McAfee is almost as difficult as AOHell to get rid of. Lots of manual deletions. The only time I ever had McAfee's virus scanner an "update" locked my PC up tight, and I ended up reformatting. Consequently I don't fool with McAfee anymore.

Hey, I have a full McAfee Virus Scan Install CD here if anyone wants to play frisbee with me... :lol: -kd5-

I have all the Norton Anti-Virus CD right up to 2003.

I removed Nortons from my computer and install AVG.

Seems to be faster and does a good job.

Ha I also use AVG I been a Norton user for years, but I hear alot about AVG and tho I didnt find any viruses. I think im going to stick with it. Cant argue with the multitude of those i seen reccomend it, thats for sure. Besides I like AVG more, seems to not take up alot of my system as Norton does. :mrgreen:

funny, nobody mentioned FREE!!!! :lol:

although im a little scared but norton hasnt failed yet plus the studys ive been in. some virus protection progams work faster than others in recieving the newest virus definitions. in this case its random that anyother program would actually work. like those dam trojans. there are cases were its olmost impossible to detect.. although im still secure with nortan system backup and have no worries. i have a nice stack off floppys :P

Hey, Duanester-

if it aint broke, dont fix it.. I was rather suprised myself. And the only reason i took it off of Eddie's computer is because it never should have been installed on a system that slow... He only has 64MB RAM, and Norton will eat up every bit of it...

Nothing wrong with Norton, as far as i know. Its just good to know that there is inexpensive as well as free software that actually does just as good, sometimes even better, than the commercial software from the big names out there.

I guess sometimes, that old saying "You get what you pay for" isnt always correct.

-myk

yes i agree nortan can be a resource hogger.. and something like that on the slower machine im surprised it booted up

I am thinking af going with AVG free when my subscription for Norton runs out. I read on their website that it cannot be used in a networked environment though. Since I have a dual boot desktop, with ME and XP Pro, and a laptop with XP Home on a wireless network will I have problems?

I have Norton 2003 on ME, which I boot into about twice a month and Norton want $30. to renew my sub.

Guest MKILGORE

just install it individually on all the computers. I think they mean you cant scan other computers over the network or sumthin

:tup::tup::mrgreen:

As good and as lean on resources as AVG is, it's good practice to get second and third opinions regardless of the AV product used. These virus' are constantly changing and the AV definitions are hot on their trail.

These are all free and thorough:

Housecall Online Virus Scan

Rav-AV Scan

Panda Soft Scan

Check out kd5's post here :nospys::)

:)

I agree with Y Kawika, I have been using AVG for a long time, have Eicar Viruses hidden on my System, they are harmless test Viruses, change them around regularly, but always use other online Virus Busters to check!!

Avg Never! misses finding them!! Online Scans sometime do!!

I once found 139 Viruses and Trogans on a System supposedly protected by Nortons using AVG6, Free.

Of interest, AVG have a Version 7 that is not free and provides full Back up!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Cleaning up a young friend's computer today with quite a few problems such as no internet connection, viruses, etc. After restablishing the connection, nothing would run, including mscofig, or any programs. I ran Panda Active Scan online and it found three viruses and got rid of two of them. I then ran Housecall, which found three trojans and could not clean any of them up. I had to download AVG, then install it in Safe Mode and run it. It found 8, yes 8 more viruses, and cleaned all of them out.

I love AVG. :mrgreen:

I was tinking of getting that Norton internet security. From what I have read in many of the posts on here is about AVG. I have went to thier site and read the terms,but something takes me back to Norton. Do you all belive AVG is better?

What makes it better than Norton?

I was tinking of getting that   Norton internet security. From what I have read in many of the posts on here is about AVG. I have went to thier site and read the terms,but something takes me back to Norton. Do you all belive AVG is better?

What makes it better than Norton?

Three things specifically:

1) Less use of system resources

2) A proven track record

3) Consistent updates

Ok, there's a 4th, it's free: AVG :)

:)

I read an article on a Tech Site that I subscribe to once, a while ago, a very promenent Scientist was discussing Nortons and Windows, it was not flattering for Nortons, at least we all know AVG is very compatible to Windows!!!!

PC User constantly rates AVG No.1 in finding Viruses, and Independant Tests show 100% accuracy for it!!

In regard to putting AVG on other Machines, it is fine, as long as you apply for a free Licence for each Machine, best way is seperate email addresses, which most of us have more than one! I believe that on install it is a bit like XP, only allows one install per number, BUT unlike XP, more numbers are free!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog