Sign in to follow this  
RHODEZEROCOOL3195

Help Deleting File...please?

When downloading a file my NORTON VIRUS found virus and deleted it. However, the after file finished download...I am trying to delete it but my computer refuses to let me delete it. What should I do?

Do you mean the file is available, but will not delete, rename, or be dragged & dropped to the recycle bin? If so try renaming the file. I have had this problem on several occasions & when it was renamed to a very short file name ie. 1 digit, I was able to delete the blighter.

The program I used to do this is 123renamer. There are many others around.

Wizzkid

The error message I get goes something like this: "Cannot delete, rename, etc. file because it is being accessed by another person or program." However, I have tried shutting things down - even in safe mode - and even not loading anything at startup...so what gives?

Please help...

CHRIS

:) I told you what you should do in my 1st reply to you...

Take the test & post it

1. It may be adware or spyware

2. It may be a trojan you picked up

3. it may be that your browser has been hijacked

4. It may be any # of things / or combination of things

Take a test and post it please

gar

i have had a file or two on my kids computer that i could not delete....here is the method i used:

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs. Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe. Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the AVI (or other undeletable file) is located in. At the command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete. Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell. Close Task Manager.

g/l

I think this is it...?

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/detailedsummary.asp

Thanx...

After you click the link I provide you, read the steps. It tells you exactly how to post a test. You copying and pasting from the address bar in your browser does us no good. Nor you for that matter :) Try clicking it :)

Click and follow the directions on this link. http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp

Did you change the directory to where you needed to be? You can't just type the command and then have it executed without being in the proper directory to make the command. You need to have the command prompt directed to c:\documents and settings\username\desktop where username is the account name you're using. THEN you can run the del command to delete the file.

Yes I tried deleting file in safe mode to no effect - but also I accidentally created a shortcut of file - and now that file cannot be deleted or touched for that matter.......what do I do......this is mindboggling.

When downloading a file my NORTON VIRUS found virus and deleted it. However, the after file finished download

could you explain that a bit more pleez? were you downloding a program or what? what do you mean by 'after file' ? a folder that the download was suppossed to end up in? or what??

Edit: what's the name of the file you can't get rid of?

Edited by firekracker

Stupid question on my part, but when you start up in safe mode does Norton Antivirus run? I don't think it would but if it does I think I know why you can't delete the file.

Edit: Some program is keeping that access to that file open and needs to be shut down before you can delete it. I also just read that the quarantine section of norton allows you to delete virus's it's found. You might want to check that out.

Edited by james.halsey

This has worked for me in the past

Put the file in the file shreder in spybot s&d that will get rid of it

if you don't have spybot there is a d/l link in the virus and spyware forum :)

Just curious did you rember to turn off system restore before you tried to delete the file

Edited by The Bear

I am back - eating pizza with my kids. Anyways, to answer "firecracker's" question - that was bad sentence structure...what I meant to say was file was downloaded to Document and Settings\username\downloads directory where Norton caught a virus near end of download. The virus in question was quaritined and I later deleted it. The file, however, residing in download directory refuses to be deleted or renamed or whatever..? What could cause this - I don't know? I think I have tried most of everything except "Bear's" sugestion - I will try that next. As far as "James.halsey's" comment about safe mode - I tried that already with nothing running.... any help would be appreciated.

THANX everybody

CHRIS

maybe try unzipping it and then deleting each part separately??

jeeez, though i'll tell ya...if it isn't causing a problem, perhaps just move it into a folder all it's own titled "wontdelete" and call it even. i had an attachment one of my cousins sent me that wouldn't go away no matter what i did. instead of aggravating myself more...i set it aside. a few days later, i was able to delete it.

as i'm typing, i'm thinking...does winzip, or whatever you use to open zip files, still have its clutches on that file??

To "Firekracker" - it's almost as if file wasn't downloaded completely? When I right-click file and select properties it says archive at 99%...but I fear to download again because of virus associated with it...whan Norton deleted it that might have been part of that file - what do you think?

1. Identifythe file(s) using the properties tab of the shortcut (right click etc)

2. Noting the DOS name of the offender under the general tab of the offending shortcut's properties tab.

3. You then delete that file by goint to the DOS prompt by

4. typing the DEL command (and the dos name of the offender as it appears in 2 above)with the proper directories leading to it.

Since XP really doesn't use true Dos, there are a couple of things that you can try. Boot to Safe Mode then go to the Command Prompt and use the 'del' function. If this doesn't work, then dust off an old 98 floppy startup disk, or download one from http://www.bootdisk.com

Reboot to floppy and use the 'del' command. For example: A:\del C:/Document and Settings\username\downloads/dvdx_2_0.zip leave a space between 'del' and 'C', then do the same thing to the shortcut which will be in the Desktop folder. :)