Change Mode

I Have A Virus, How Do I Get Rid Of It?

Guest shmutz99

Guest shmutz99

Hi, I broke cardinal rule number 1 and removed Mcafee anti-virus software from my PC. It was slowing everything down :mrsgreen: Well, now I have a virus on my system. When I boot I get an error, won't load explorer. I can't get into safe mode, same error occurs.

I can boot with an emergency disk, and I have an old Mcafee emergency disk that finds the virus, but cannot clean it. If I try and remove the file where the virus was found (in DOS) I get a message that the file cannot be found.

Can anyone help me? Thanks, Shmutz99

Welcome to the pit shmutz99,Viruses tend to destroy files and I think even if you could get an a/v to get the virus it may be too late.You may possibly may be looking at a format/reinstall as an only option

What OS are you running? If you have Win9x, I would try to boot to a command prompt and try a scanreg /restore. Only works if you haven't booted more than 4 or 5 times since you got the virus. It might also help if you knew which virus you had.

i agree with the first reply if u have both boot disc and windows recovery cd u might want to restore your pc to a factory time u may loose everything u installed since then but it would be a fresh start and a reminder..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I did a reformat and reinstall and have taken the suggestion to install AVG. Will treat it as a wakeup call.

Hey we all get our wakeup calls,,some later than others!! :mrgreen:

Real glad ya got it where ya want it tho!!! :) v